The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suggestions/requests for Mic Comparisons
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Suggestions/requests for Mic Comparisons

Hi folks

I recently acquired both a AKG c414 b-uls and a Neumann TLM 103

I had reached out to the kind folks here and got some great responses and help. Now that I actually have both of these, I would like to record some comparisons of each that members of the forum would find helpful.

Please give me some suggestions of how I would go about this?

I've got a UA apollo twin and was thinking I would loop some guitar tracks and change mics or could possibly sing and play a guitar part over and over. Let me know what would be best way to do this and what types of things are best types of comparisons.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherearemykeys View Post
Normally, I would take my apollo twin to a shop and test side by side ...

I have a SM7B, Fathead Ribbon, SM57 and Senn e935 that I have used for various live settings and home use but I am looking for something that will round out my collection and give me some better options for warm sound in the room recording of vocals, guitar (Both acoustic and electric)

I have an opportunity to get the TLM 103 for about the same price as a c414 b-uls. I can also get a C414 xlii for about $200 less.

I have a lower voice though I can get up there when needed. I play a silverface vibrochamp in the home studio as well as acoustics (more martin sounding).

I've read the threads and hear so many differing opinions on this.

Let me know what you think.

I am leaning towards the TLM 103 as maybe I can resell for probably more and have enough for the C414 if I didn't like it.

Last edited by wherearemykeys; 2 weeks ago at 04:03 PM.. Reason: clarifying
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

To do a useful shootout, you'd need to position the mics as close together as possible on settings as identical as possible and record with both of them at the same time on the same source with the same performance. There are countless variables from one take to another and from one mic setup to another. When you capture identical performances with both mics simultaneously, you'll be able to toggle back and forth between tracks and actually A-B the differences in the two mics. I'm sure it'll be quite revealing, have fun and let us know what you find!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The different samples need to be EXACTLY volume matched after the fact or comparison is useless.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Or... to make confirmation bias work for you, ensure the mic you want to win is louder and better processed than the preordained 'loser' mic. ;-)

Also... spend some time learning each mic in various situations. They're both useful, if very different, mics. While shootouts can be fun, context is king.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Record something (DI guitar or synth, for example). Play it back through your amp and record that. If you are careful to position the mics so the diaphragms are in the same location and match the levels you'll have real a/b samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search