The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kenwood speaker restoration...it si worth?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Kenwood speaker restoration...it si worth?

Hi
I have owned these LS-711s since I was 13 ... now I am 42. On these speakers I made my musical history. I don't know how much they are worth ... emotionally a lot ... and at the time they were part of a system that sounded good. I restored the original woofer back about 7 years ago, wasting money and the situation has still deteriorated. Now I don't listen music at home as I did when I was seventeen...

Now ... what do you recommend? Do I throw everything away in dump or is it worth buying at least two woofers? I saw that it carries two 165 mm woofers. They should be 6.5-inch cones.
New one shelf speakers would cost new 60/70 euros...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Do these woofers have foam surrounds that have failed? There are repair shops that will do that kind of repair.

Replacing the speakers is a whole other can of worms as there are lots of replacement drivers out there but locating ones that will work as the originals did may be tricky as speakers have not just different sizes but impedance, frequency range and Q (stiffness of the suspention).

While high end or very popular speakers often have replacements made specifically for them many others do not so deciding what to do about budget speakers that have sentimental value can be difficult.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugge78 View Post
Hi
I have owned these LS-711s since I was 13 ... now I am 42. On these speakers I made my musical history. I don't know how much they are worth ... emotionally a lot ... and at the time they were part of a system that sounded good. I restored the original woofer back about 7 years ago, wasting money and the situation has still deteriorated. Now I don't listen music at home as I did when I was seventeen....
Neither do I (70'ish now.. :>)

Occasionally I still need to 'revisit a few songs permanently embedded on a 'teen sleepover -read up all night, on a clock radio.
That's to say.. It's not always necessarily about 'tone or fidelity.

Ah what the heck; Two for -and from ..Sigma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojCi...I9npJQ&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbaSh8i5eyE
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I've purchased rubber suspensions that I think are more durable than neoprene foam. I did the substitution, not so much tidy but It works... I'll se if it lasts for a good time...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Might tighten up your bass!

I've got some Sony computer speakers I have had since about 1995. They are kind of crap but not, always good for checking mixes on. Strange little beasts, the wallwart power supply is huge for what they are.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search