The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD Converter for Analogue Mixer DB25
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

AD Converter for Analogue Mixer DB25

I recently purchased a 32 channel analogue mixer with direct outs via DB25, other than the Antelope Orion or other such (relatively expensive) converters is there a piece of gear (converter) that can send these DB25 connections into an interface/PC for a reasonable price?

I've seen that the ADA8000 has terrible preamps but I've not heard complaints about the converters in either it or the 8200, is there a way to send direct outs (bypassing the preamp) on either of these and/or is there another better option in a similar price range.

Many thanks,
Sloth
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Presonus Quantum 4848
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
Presonus Quantum 4848
I was hoping for something a little cheaper than the Orion 32, the 4848 is still 1500 USD, but I appreciate the reply.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lynx Aurora.

Depending how many channels you need, I have seen them cheaper than $100 a channel, used.

I'm loving mine!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

a db-25 input is not necessary. you can simply buy db-25 to xlr or trs snakes and get into your interface of choice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
a db-25 input is not necessary. you can simply buy db-25 to xlr or trs snakes and get into your interface of choice.
Thanks, I figured that out after a while, but surely that would send me through the interface preamps? which is what I'm trying to avoid. I know interface pres are designed to be transparent but are they really that transparent?

I was hoping on being able to use the ADA8000 converters that I assume are similarly designed to the much apppreciated ADA8200 converters though the 8000 preamps are known to just suck, feedback, bleed, all sorts of ickies. I suppose that means I should really spend the little extra for the 8200 then...

Sloth
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The ADA8200 is just better overall than the ADA8000 and it's not that much more money.

I searched around a coupke years ago and got one new B-stock for $150 and it worked just fine. Sold it for $140 a year or so later cause I didn't need it. Preamps aren't amazing but are pretty workable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
The ADA8200 is just better overall than the ADA8000 and it's not that much more money.

I searched around a coupke years ago and got one new B-stock for $150 and it worked just fine. Sold it for $140 a year or so later cause I didn't need it. Preamps aren't amazing but are pretty workable.
If is were to run the desk into the 8200 the preamps wouldn't too negatively effect the sound? I was trying to avoid the 8200 preamps by using the desk but if they will be a bottleneck I might have to figure something else out.

At least the ADA8200 has outputs I can run to the mixer inserts so I can do basic level setting out of the box too

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, anything beyond 'mic goes into preamp' or basic ADAT setups is fairly new to me.
Thanks for the help/ideas

Sloth
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
Thanks, I figured that out after a while, but surely that would send me through the interface preamps? which is what I'm trying to avoid. I know interface pres are designed to be transparent but are they really that transparent?

I was hoping on being able to use the ADA8000 converters that I assume are similarly designed to the much apppreciated ADA8200 converters though the 8000 preamps are known to just suck, feedback, bleed, all sorts of ickies. I suppose that means I should really spend the little extra for the 8200 then...

Sloth
I don’t know these units, but are you sure that the db-25 inputs bypass the preamps?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a D&R, same boat, all db25s on the back. Using a Pro40 for now but looking at upgrading soon and would like to keep cabling clean, db25 > db25. I don’t think you can beat the original Orion 32 for in/out/$ ratio. Used ones are often found on Reverb for $1100>$1200. I’m more interested in the audible difference between that and their new $4k flagship with ridiculous specs. Pretty sure the USB 2 version and my old 5.1 mac is how I’ll go, possibly still using the Pro40 as an aggregate device for FX returns. Want to buy a used mac pro that has yet to be released before I upgrade again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I don’t know these units, but are you sure that the db-25 inputs bypass the preamps?
I'm not sure what you mean, I'm trying to use the preamps in the mixer and standalone converters don't even have preamps in them. the suggestion was to use the ADA8200 and run it through both preamps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean, I'm trying to use the preamps in the mixer and standalone converters don't even have preamps in them. the suggestion was to use the ADA8200 and run it through both preamps.
The ADA8000 and ADA8200 both have 8 preamps and I'm not sure if the line inputs bypass the mic-preamps. Many designs just use a pad.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
The ADA8000 and ADA8200 both have 8 preamps and I'm not sure if the line inputs bypass the mic-preamps. Many designs just use a pad.
It's just a pad, that's my point, I'm trying to aboid the Behringer Pres by using the mixer and am confused as to whether I should allow the (very transparent) Behringer pres to touch the signal from the desk or find a way to get around it (whether that be modification or dropping a tonne more money)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just a pad, that's my point, I'm trying to aboid the Behringer Pres by using the mixer and am confused as to whether I should allow the (very transparent) Behringer pres to touch the signal from the desk or find a way to get around it (whether that be modification or dropping a tonne more money)
I think bypassing mic-preamps is overrated. On some cheap designs it might matter, but even some high-end recorders like the MixPres don't bypass the mic-preamps if fed with a line-level signal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search