The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD Converter for Analogue Mixer DB25
Old 6th May 2020
  #1
AD Converter for Analogue Mixer DB25

I recently purchased a 32 channel analogue mixer with direct outs via DB25, other than the Antelope Orion or other such (relatively expensive) converters is there a piece of gear (converter) that can send these DB25 connections into an interface/PC for a reasonable price?

I've seen that the ADA8000 has terrible preamps but I've not heard complaints about the converters in either it or the 8200, is there a way to send direct outs (bypassing the preamp) on either of these and/or is there another better option in a similar price range.

Many thanks,
Sloth
Old 6th May 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
syntheticrhyme's Avatar
Presonus Quantum 4848
Old 6th May 2020
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
Presonus Quantum 4848
I was hoping for something a little cheaper than the Orion 32, the 4848 is still 1500 USD, but I appreciate the reply.
Old 6th May 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
Lynx Aurora.

Depending how many channels you need, I have seen them cheaper than $100 a channel, used.

I'm loving mine!
Old 6th May 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
a db-25 input is not necessary. you can simply buy db-25 to xlr or trs snakes and get into your interface of choice.
Old 6th May 2020
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
a db-25 input is not necessary. you can simply buy db-25 to xlr or trs snakes and get into your interface of choice.
Thanks, I figured that out after a while, but surely that would send me through the interface preamps? which is what I'm trying to avoid. I know interface pres are designed to be transparent but are they really that transparent?

I was hoping on being able to use the ADA8000 converters that I assume are similarly designed to the much apppreciated ADA8200 converters though the 8000 preamps are known to just suck, feedback, bleed, all sorts of ickies. I suppose that means I should really spend the little extra for the 8200 then...

Sloth
Old 6th May 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 

The ADA8200 is just better overall than the ADA8000 and it's not that much more money.

I searched around a coupke years ago and got one new B-stock for $150 and it worked just fine. Sold it for $140 a year or so later cause I didn't need it. Preamps aren't amazing but are pretty workable.
Old 6th May 2020
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
The ADA8200 is just better overall than the ADA8000 and it's not that much more money.

I searched around a coupke years ago and got one new B-stock for $150 and it worked just fine. Sold it for $140 a year or so later cause I didn't need it. Preamps aren't amazing but are pretty workable.
If is were to run the desk into the 8200 the preamps wouldn't too negatively effect the sound? I was trying to avoid the 8200 preamps by using the desk but if they will be a bottleneck I might have to figure something else out.

At least the ADA8200 has outputs I can run to the mixer inserts so I can do basic level setting out of the box too

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, anything beyond 'mic goes into preamp' or basic ADAT setups is fairly new to me.
Thanks for the help/ideas

Sloth
Old 6th May 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
Thanks, I figured that out after a while, but surely that would send me through the interface preamps? which is what I'm trying to avoid. I know interface pres are designed to be transparent but are they really that transparent?

I was hoping on being able to use the ADA8000 converters that I assume are similarly designed to the much apppreciated ADA8200 converters though the 8000 preamps are known to just suck, feedback, bleed, all sorts of ickies. I suppose that means I should really spend the little extra for the 8200 then...

Sloth
I don’t know these units, but are you sure that the db-25 inputs bypass the preamps?
Old 7th May 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

I have a D&R, same boat, all db25s on the back. Using a Pro40 for now but looking at upgrading soon and would like to keep cabling clean, db25 > db25. I don’t think you can beat the original Orion 32 for in/out/$ ratio. Used ones are often found on Reverb for $1100>$1200. I’m more interested in the audible difference between that and their new $4k flagship with ridiculous specs. Pretty sure the USB 2 version and my old 5.1 mac is how I’ll go, possibly still using the Pro40 as an aggregate device for FX returns. Want to buy a used mac pro that has yet to be released before I upgrade again.
Old 7th May 2020
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
I don’t know these units, but are you sure that the db-25 inputs bypass the preamps?
I'm not sure what you mean, I'm trying to use the preamps in the mixer and standalone converters don't even have preamps in them. the suggestion was to use the ADA8200 and run it through both preamps.
Old 7th May 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, I'm trying to use the preamps in the mixer and standalone converters don't even have preamps in them. the suggestion was to use the ADA8200 and run it through both preamps.
The ADA8000 and ADA8200 both have 8 preamps and I'm not sure if the line inputs bypass the mic-preamps. Many designs just use a pad.
Old 7th May 2020
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
The ADA8000 and ADA8200 both have 8 preamps and I'm not sure if the line inputs bypass the mic-preamps. Many designs just use a pad.
It's just a pad, that's my point, I'm trying to aboid the Behringer Pres by using the mixer and am confused as to whether I should allow the (very transparent) Behringer pres to touch the signal from the desk or find a way to get around it (whether that be modification or dropping a tonne more money)
Old 7th May 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
It's just a pad, that's my point, I'm trying to aboid the Behringer Pres by using the mixer and am confused as to whether I should allow the (very transparent) Behringer pres to touch the signal from the desk or find a way to get around it (whether that be modification or dropping a tonne more money)
I think bypassing mic-preamps is overrated. On some cheap designs it might matter, but even some high-end recorders like the MixPres don't bypass the mic-preamps if fed with a line-level signal.
Old 2nd August 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
What mixer has DB25 hookups besides SSL?
Old 2nd August 2020
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
What mixer has DB25 hookups besides SSL?
Perhaps not a lot of studio boards but a tonne of low end live boards (from Mackie and the other usual scumbags) have DB25 direct outs, Midas went Edac on their midrange stuff but most other consolidated connectors are DB25 that I've seen.

Anyways, this post is outdated, the dude had the wrong model advertised so I ended up not taking it home, ended up with a new thread about the cheaper Midas options I found locally but didn't get much help. Think I might hold off on getting a desk for the moment because I have very little experience with them and I don't want to make a dumb purchase.
Old 2nd August 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
Perhaps not a lot of studio boards but a tonne of low end live boards (from Mackie and the other usual scumbags) have DB25 direct outs, Midas went Edac on their midrange stuff but most other consolidated connectors are DB25 that I've seen.

Anyways, this post is outdated, the dude had the wrong model advertised so I ended up not taking it home, ended up with a new thread about the cheaper Midas options I found locally but didn't get much help. Think I might hold off on getting a desk for the moment because I have very little experience with them and I don't want to make a dumb purchase.
Onyx mixer come with DB25's direct outs. But have not found any others.
Let me re-state the question. Any mixer's with DB25 mic inputs? out DB25's for all outputs? Have only found the Six and X-desk. Both don't have 3 band EQ's with sweep mid.
Old 2nd August 2020
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Onyx mixer come with DB25's direct outs. But have not found any others.
Let me re-state the question. Any mixer's with DB25 mic inputs? out DB25's for all outputs? Have only found the Six and X-desk. Both don't have 3 band EQ's with sweep mid.
I don't know man, if I was an expert on mixers I wouldn't be here asking for help
Old 3rd August 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
With that much I/O (32 channels), your cheapest bet new is probably a MOTU 24io. Has DB25 inputs. 24 channels.
Old 3rd August 2020
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
With that much I/O (32 channels), your cheapest bet new is probably a MOTU 24io. Has DB25 inputs. 24 channels.
Thanks for the shout, unfortunately this post is way outdated for my situation and I'll instead just be running the direct outs of whatever mixer (likely a somewhat older Midas one) through a Digiface USB with ADA8200s unless I find a similar (or better) option for less money. I've got a different thread up about mixer advice but it's been rather dry so I think I'll sit on it until a stupid good deal comes around or I learn more about the subject.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 601 views: 341939
Avatar for Maniac 7777
Maniac 7777 29th July 2020
replies: 84 views: 65056
Avatar for Melodnb
Melodnb 2nd July 2012
replies: 2089 views: 341369
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 1 day ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump