The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying to figure out this whole audio interface, impedence, ohms, and amp thing out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Trying to figure out this whole audio interface, impedence, ohms, and amp thing out.

First off, I’m poor, so I’m going for the cheapest gear, but I don’t want my sound to suck lol

I’m trying to get a good understanding on interfaces, and their ohms/impedence/amps and how they relate to

DI guitar
Powering high ohm headphones
Amplifying condenser microphones.

I have a guitar I want to run DI into ampsims
I have a condenser microphone I want to record into daw but want it to sound good.

I have k701’s and cd900st. Both require “63ohms”
But, I heard you need a good headphone amplifier to fully get the sound quality out of them.

The interfaces I’m looking at are steinberg ur12
Audient id4.
Audient id4 supposedly has a good preamp for my condenser, but it’s ohms is rated at 30. But they say they can easily drive 600ohm headphones?
The di ohm inout is rated at 500k. My amps I’m software which is bias says it gets much more “responsive” to 1million ohms or larger.
The steinberg ur12 is similar, but with a worse rated headphone amp.

So basically, it seems like unless I spent 1000$ on an interface, it won’t have good enough inputs to power my guitar, microphone, and headphones.

Would I be better off buying a cheap interface, like steinberg ur12, and then buying a

Di box rated at 1mil ohms, for recording di guitar.
A headphone amp for power headphones
And a preamp for my microphone?

I’d be spending 100$ on interface, then about 200$ more on the other things (if I buy used.)

What do you guys think? Please correct nay misinformation I have about how this stuff works, it wo.uld be great if audient id4 at 200$ would be enough.
Old 2 weeks ago
An external DI is unecessary. The mic will be fine with any of those interfaces. Worst case you may need a headphone amp to drive the headphones, but I doubt it.

I would suggest buying one of the intefaces and testing it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

First your headphones.

Headphones are rated at a particular impedance so your phones are 63 ohms rather than "require" 63 ohms.

Phones range from 600 ohms down to about 30 ohms. Higher impedance ones (600 ohm) can be difficult to drive loud without a good strong headphone amp so one has to be careful choosing what they are plugged into. 30 ohm phones can be driven loud very easily so you can use a headphone amp that isn't all that great with output and still be fine. 63 ohm phones are pretty easily driven as well so you should be able to get good volume (assuming good gainstaging and not doung anything foolish) even plugging into something with a kind of crappy headphone amp. The Audient interfaces have good strong headphone output so you should be just fine there.

DI inputs run from about 60k to 2meg (two million) ohms. Lower impedances load the pickups more providing a bit darker sound while higher ratings are clearer and more open sounding. The difference between 500k and 1meg for a DI isn't all that much really as they are both very high, there will be more of a difference in sound due to other factors than the impedance in this range. Even DI inputs that are way below 500k can sound good, it's just a different sound that you either like or you don't with a particular instrument. One can have a crappy DI with high or low impedance just as there can be great ones with very high or very low impedance. The rating gives a little insight to to the sound but there are many other factors. Again I wouldn't worry about an interface not sounding good because it's DI input is 500k, that's plenty high to have a good open sound with whatever you put into it.

The Audient interfaces are very well respected and offer a lot for not a whole lot of cash. If you are on a budget I would say getting seperate DI and headphone amp would be a complete waste or your money. A DI that sounds "better" than the Audient instrument input is going to cost as much as the iD4 or even a lot more. Same deal with a headphone amp, your 63 ohm phones should sound great and have plenty of volume with any decent interface like an Audient.

I would answer your question(s) about condenser mics and interface preamps but I'm not sure what you are asking exactly?? The Audient's XLR input is not 30 ohms.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I read your post and prepared to answer it.

But then I read JLast's excellent response.

If I was starting out I'd get the id4 from the options you listed.
But, did you look at Audients newest interface? The Evo4? Looks like it's a bit cheaper too...

/fruity

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search