The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
6/8 channels Audio interface & small form factor?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

6/8 channels Audio interface & small form factor?

I just bought an M-Audio Fast track ultra 8x8 and it's in the mail.

Nonetheless, I am expecting to run into compatibility issues with Win 10, so I am already looking for alternatives. I had it previously and sold it, so not particularly in love with it, but it looks like there are not many USB interfaces with all those ports and that small footprint.

Can you name any alternatives you know apart from:

- Steinberg UR44
- Komplete Audio 6
- Motu Ultralite
- Tascam Series 208i
- Arturia Audiofuse

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Whats wrong with the MOTU. They are really stable and sound good. Not super cheap but not super expensive either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
Whats wrong with the MOTU. They are really stable and sound good. Not super cheap but not super expensive either.
Yeah Motu seems the only way.

Which one do you have in mind?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPerson View Post
Yeah Motu seems the only way.

Which one do you have in mind?
Well, whats your budget and do you need mic pres or just line in's?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, whats your budget and do you need mic pres or just line in's?
Even just line in would be great.

Budget cheapo would be great, but it really depends from the value of the thing... definitely less than 500 bucks though.

I was looking at MOTU UltraLite-MK3 already, and I may just go for it at some point, unless there anything cheaper that offers similar I/Os.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Also considering the Tascam 208i, for those ADATs
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Also considering the Tascam 208i, for those ADATs
Check out the Motu 8pre. Its about the same price as the Ultralite mk3. From what I can tell the biggest trade off is the ability to do 192k. Which honestly 192k is a waste of system resources for most people. 88.2 or 96k is plenty. But it adds 2 banks of adat connections.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Check out the Motu 8pre. Its about the same price as the Ultralite mk3. From what I can tell the biggest trade off is the ability to do 192k. Which honestly 192k is a waste of system resources for most people. 88.2 or 96k is plenty. But it adds 2 banks of adat connections.
I want it to be small, half rack or ish kinda thing. I fould out there is very few option with adat and USB for that shape... sadly
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
I want it to be small, half rack or ish kinda thing. I fould out there is very few option with adat and USB for that shape... sadly
If you can swing the extra cash, which imo would be worth it, get the Motu Ultralite AVB. It checks off all your boxes. Small format, USB connectivity, and ADAT connections. It also future proofs you more with the ability to expand your system by alot or a little with the AVB connections.

All the Motu gear will wipe the floor sonically with the Tascam stuff. Its like racing a Mustang against a Pinto. You know the Mustang will win everytime.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If you can swing the extra cash, which imo would be worth it, get the Motu Ultralite AVB. It checks off all your boxes. Small format, USB connectivity, and ADAT connections. It also future proofs you more with the ability to expand your system by alot or a little with the AVB connections.

All the Motu gear will wipe the floor sonically with the Tascam stuff. Its like racing a Mustang against a Pinto. You know the Mustang will win everytime.
For this particular application, I am not necessarily looking for pristine audio quality. I am just looking for the max amount of ins in the least space possible and for a reasonable price. It's a small synth corner in my flat (not in studio). In which I'd love to record jams on the fly in multitrack. Occasionally I will do the odd online mix with a couple of small half racks comps I have here, so again I/O is important. But I do not have space for desktop stile either, so Arturia is out of the game... so not many choices indeed.

That Motu AVB does check all the boxes anyway. I do like Motu stuff. I will still shop around though, if anything cheaper pops in, I may just go for it.

Thanks a lot man btw, that's one interface I never bumped into so far
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
For this particular application, I am not necessarily looking for pristine audio quality. I am just looking for the max amount of ins in the least space possible and for a reasonable price. It's a small synth corner in my flat (not in studio). In which I'd love to record jams on the fly in multitrack. Occasionally I will do the odd online mix with a couple of small half racks comps I have here, so again I/O is important. But I do not have space for desktop stile either, so Arturia is out of the game... so not many choices indeed.

That Motu AVB does check all the boxes anyway. I do like Motu stuff. I will still shop around though, if anything cheaper pops in, I may just go for it.

Thanks a lot man btw, that's one interface I never bumped into so far

You can probably pick one up used for around 550 or so. MOTU is awesome with customer service so it's a pretty safe buy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search