The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Incorprating Analogue Vocal Processors in the Mix
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Looking for Vox analogue processor for a couple of things

I'd like to purchase an analogue vocal processor that I can incorporate into;

Practice (PC or to PA)
Recording(PC)
Online sessions with other musicians in my city, via likely obs/twitch/jamalamy whatever it's called. (PC obviously)

Currently, All I have is the focusrite 2i2 between the mic and the pc.

Seems like these options so far?

{

Roland Vt4 Voice Transformer
Tc Hellicon Voicelive 3
Boss Ve 500
Mic Mechanic

}

What will work for what I'm looking to do, and can someone explain the chain and why?

I've never used anything besides a guitar multifx pedal straight to amp.

Last edited by M.K.; 3 weeks ago at 09:47 PM.. Reason: My first question was probably way too long.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.K. View Post
{

Roland Vt4 Voice Transformer
Tc Hellicon Voicelive 3
Boss Ve 500
Mic Mechanic

}

What will work for what I'm looking to do, and can someone explain the chain and why?
I've used the VoiceLive 3 since about 2015. If your audio interface has the appropriate ins and outs, it's fairly straightforward to setup (and I would imagine some of this would apply to vocals you want to post-process on any of the above devices.

Run a MIDI cable from your DAW's MIDI output to the VL3's MIDI input. Record the MIDI signal for the chords you want the VL3's voices to follow. This could simply be a duplicate of the song's synth pad, or something specific to match up with the phrases you want the voices to "sing."

Run the output feed of the voice you want to process into the Input of the VL3. Run the outputs of the VL3 into your audio output. I would suggest putting something spiky percussive, such as a handclap or cowbell (I use an Acid loop handclap) so that after you send the audio through the VL3, you can then slide it back to adjust for latency.

The trick is setting the levels of everything so that you're not distorting the audio that goes into the VL3, or the processed signal that's emerging from it. It often helps to have a second pair of headphones with a miniplug adapter to plug into the VL3 to hear if it's getting a signal, and fine tune the patch you're using.

The VL3 can also do effects such as telephone voice and the like. You can find loads of clips of the VL3 and the VL2 in YouTube to hear what the processed sounds are like. Soloed, they're often a bit cheesy and vocoder-like (which maybe an effect you're going for. I just uploaded the track below to the "completed demos" section of Gearslutz, which used the VL3 for both the massed backup vocals, and the telephone effect on my voice on the chorus rideouts.

Hope this helps!

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I appreciate the response.

I can't tel if your misusing terms, and maybe I shouldn't need to ask, but how does one run a midi cable from my "Digital" audio workstation? It's software?

And then your basically just telling me to run things out vaguely to my speaker source.

I have scratch my head pretty heard to know whether or not i should use a preamp, or an audio interface.

My whole goal is live monitoring, and understanding the chain.

I really can't be sure, but it feels like your not pointing me in the direction I'm looking for, but just telling me how you use your voicelive, but maybe not clearly?

I appreciate the time, and I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding things that are perhaps clearer then they seem to e.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.K. View Post
I appreciate the response.

I can't tel if your misusing terms, and maybe I shouldn't need to ask, but how does one run a midi cable from my "Digital" audio workstation? It's software?

And then your basically just telling me to run things out vaguely to my speaker source.

I have scratch my head pretty heard to know whether or not i should use a preamp, or an audio interface.

My whole goal is live monitoring, and understanding the chain.

I really can't be sure, but it feels like your not pointing me in the direction I'm looking for, but just telling me how you use your voicelive, but maybe not clearly?

I appreciate the time, and I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding things that are perhaps clearer then they seem to e.
I can only tell you how I've patched audio and MIDI from my Fireface UCX and UFX+, both of which have midi and audio outs to my VL3. Hopefully some of it will translate to your own rig.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search