The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New monitors, mainly DJing, small room, advice?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
New monitors, mainly DJing, small room, advice?

Hi,

Been thinking a long time about an audio upgrade, which now really needs to be done, since I'm at home all the time..

I'm looking for some (monitor) speakers, used in a rather small (untreated) attic. Sized about 2.5 x 7.5 meters. Have some old gear already, but will be adding a XDJ‑RX2 asap.

Main purpose of the monitors is DJing electronic music, with some occasional mash-up creation. Using the speakers for a small (garden) party would be a nice bonus, but no must. So I guess I won't need the purest of monitors, with the most flat sound, since I like my DJ-mixes with some punchy bass - but I don't necessarily want to invest in an additional sub.

I've been looking mainly at these relatively budget but popular ones:
  • Pioneer S-DJ50X
  • KRK Rokit RP5 (G4)
  • JBL-305 MK2
  • ... and the bigger brothers:
  • S-DJ80X
  • RP8 (G4)
  • ... Alternative: Focal Alpha 65 / Yamaha HS8

My biggest questions/concerns, holding me back to choose actually are;
  • Would a 5 (or 6) incher suffice, or would an upgrade to 8 inch make a world of difference? Bass-wise?
  • I can't create the "perfect" near-field setup - speakers might be at 2mtrs high behind me... problematic?
  • The Pioneers do give some extra bass they say - or is this all marketing? Same for the wider sweet-spot?
  • What are, more or less, the preferred room-dimensions for the 5-6-8" woofer speakers?

I have no problem 'investing' in the more expensive 8 inchers, but if they are mostly overkill (room-size, non-prof-producing), I'd rather get the cheaper 5-6 inch. But I also don't want to regret the 5", for being too small, too little in power/bass, after all...

Top of my list, currently, is the Pioneer S-DJ80X.. I guess because they are more mid-field than near-field, wider sweet spot and (advertised) with some extra low instead of being pure pure monitors.
But I would like to hear some thoughts, comments, opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search