The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best bang for the buck Overhead Pair
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Best bang for the buck Overhead Pair

I own a pair of ISK Pearls, great for the price, they have been doing overhead duties, ready to see if there are other suggestions

I seem to fight with crashes in mixing, I've recorded a few bashers lately, getting a shrill, ringy, almost distorted thing happening. even with standard/seemingly ok mic placement? I'll work on placement...I spend a lot of time eq'ing my less than favorable results.

If you had @ 400 or so to spend on a pair of overheads mic's, what would you get? I would prefer sdc's , but I'll take any suggestions.
Thanks.

Last edited by OHM GHOST; 3 weeks ago at 05:18 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I dunno if anything in your price range is going to be night and day better.

I’d experiment with placement (what are you doing now) and maybe even consider buying your own cymbals if the people you record have junk.

Do the overheads sound like what you hear in the room?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Probably Line Audio CM4. I have a pair of their predecessors, the CM3, and they sound great on many sources. Search GS for a couple very long threads.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replies.
I'm in the mixing phase of 2 (hurried} drum sessions...the drummers brought their own sets and seemed to have other places to be. Looking to the future in this case.

I've been doing a standard spaced overhead pattern, about 2 to 3 feet above and spaced accordingly on the drumset(s). The ride sections sound fine, it's the crashes! Maybe an XY pattern?
The crashes are my Waterloo at this point, perhaps it's technique?
I'm hoping there might be experience with mics that handle this kinda thang well?

I have the CM4's sitting in a "buy basket" as I write!
I'm also looking at the Lauten LA120's

Last edited by OHM GHOST; 3 weeks ago at 07:32 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago

Well, a pair of PR-30 (/31bw) are out of your price range, but will help with the cymbal issues.

In SDC, the ATM450 are quite good, but over your budget....

A pair of SM81 mics is out of the question as well...

You might try a pair of U854r from A-T. They come with mounts that screw to standard mic stands.
https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/r...3rw_submit.pdf

-tINY

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I mean, I could do the ATM450's...those over the CM4's?
They ATM's seem to be useful as all arounders as well, which I like.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

ahhh crash cymbals....

you could have a million dollar signal chain and it wouldn't matter..

I'm still amazed by the amount of drummers that cant control cymbal tone, particularly with crashes..they strike down judo chop style and send the thing into a mess.

Its hard to sensitively suggest a drummer play their cymbals with less crack and more swish..but sometimes its gotta be done!

Your ISK are great mic's for the money but do have a little fizz..

I could state the obvious Octava MK012?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHM GHOST View Post
I mean, I could do the ATM450's...those over the CM4's?
They ATM's seem to be useful as all arounders as well, which I like.

They do seem to handle poor cymbal playing fairly well. A good dynamic pair is even better most times....

-tINY

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I have a pair of Shure SM137 (not to be confused with the KSM137) and, at least compared to the PG81 from the old budget line, they were a significant upgrade. I can't comment on the crash thing though, the only drummer I've recorded with them so far has pretty good technique so it wasn't an issue. I was about to try them with our drummer (a very good test case) but covid got in the way...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've narrowed it down to the ATM450'S and the Lauten's, I can get these on my store card at Vintage King or Sweetwater with no interest and a good payment plan.

I also looked at the Oktava's, unfortunately, I cannot get these so conveniently at this time. I wanted to order from their store, avoiding online fakes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

is it imperative that you buy new?

If not, tiny is on to something. There is another thread I'm in championing the versatility of omni dynamics, you could pick up a couple of EV635a for less than a new mic and have a reeaaaallly versatile pair that will never fizz
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I love EV's! It's just that I have the RE20/15, 660/664A and 4 408A's...I'm a fan of their dynamics.
I do have 3 Realistic 33-1070's, which some claim are Shure repro's of the 635/RE50. Not so s(h)ure on that!?
Dynamics on overheads? People seem to be of 2 minds on the overall utility of that. IE, when it works, it really works, otherwise...

I wanted to pickup somewhat useful SDC's to complement my setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you have considered ribbon mics for the overhead duties, it may be worth your while to check this thread here on GS:

RM BIV Ribbon Microphones

Although I am not sure how much he sells them for now - it's been 4 years since I bought my RM BIV-1 pair - I do believe these are still in your price range.

He has an eBay account, but here is a link to his web site. You can buy directly from him - like I did - or through eBay, whichever you may prefer... I haven't checked recently, but it has been less expensive to buy directly from him. A link to his eBay account is furnished on his web page at the link I include now:

http://www.bashaudio.ru/kontakt.eng.html

If you prefer the eBay route, be aware he does not always have mics listed there. And when he does, they never last long.

If you check the GS thread on these mics (the first link) you will find many examples of the mics. Some are drum overhead examples. There are also lots of examples on his web site. He still checks the GS thread from time to time, so if you post any questions in that thread he (Igor, the guy who makes and sells the mics) or someone else should respond reasonably soon.

Even if you decide against them, it may be well worth your time to at least check them out.

Btw, I have a pair of the iSK Pearls, too. They are good mics, especially for the price. If one of your concerns about the Pearls is the "shrill, ringy, almost distorted thing", check out the RM BIV mics. Smooth is a good word for them.

I am not affiliated with RM BIV mics or Igor in any way other than being a long term - full retail paying - very happy customer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have a pair of these they work great! Keep in mind if your in an untreated room low pass high cut is your friend on over heads. Super cheap use them on tons of stuff. The room I'm In does not like ribbons they would be my first choice but these work great with a cut.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterlin...-Carry-Case.gc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search