The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adat preamp recommendation
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Adat preamp recommendation

Sorry guys, I know you see this one daily haha.

I am looking to expand my basement setup. Currently just running an RME Babyface. I mostly record my own guitars or voice, but looking to expand so I can do a full drums set up and eventually a full live band (or not have to rewire my setup to change what’s plugged in). Mostly working with jazz.

So, I want to expand my setup with an 8 channel pre (eventually two, I also plan on upgrading my Babyface to a Babyface pro or maybe an Apollo). In the ~$1000 price range, so far, I’ve seen:

Clarett Octopre
Midas XL48
Audient ASP800/880
RME Octamic (old one)
Arturia Audiofuse 8pre

The Arturia is basically the reason for this post as literally no one talks about it although in theory it seems great. Anyone know how it compares to thr rest of the stuff? I know it has lots of gain, but that’s about all I got.

The Midas, Audient, and RME are on the higher end of my budget. How do these compare? I know how great RME stuff, but little experience with Midas and Audient other than great things I hear online.

The Clarett also seems decent. But there’s so many Focusrite products, which one is the better one?

As far as my needs. I’m not too concerned with coloring etc, just need good reliable preamps that represent the sound accurately. I’d like to eventually use the setup as a mobile rig.

Using a mac + babyface as mentioned above, $1000 budget, most likely getting used to stretch that. Any recommendations appreciated, thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had ASP880 and it was good , now I might take the Arturia as it has outputs I would need + inserts ( for some channels )

Matti
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I have the original Babyface and ASP800. Both have been great - just one small thing to mention:

The ASP800 (at least mine) has some variance to the mic input levels on the 8 channels - up to 0.6dB - which might matter if you do lots of stereo mic’ing and don’t want to spend time getting things ‘centred’, either on-site or in post.

For an apples-to-oranges comparison, all line inputs on my old Fireface 800 (!!) come in within 0.1dB.

Other than that, the BF+ASP800+Mac combo plays really nice together. Those RME drivers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, that's one vote for the Arturia and one for the Audient.

I just realized the Midas has only XLR inputs, not the combo jacks (which I kind of need), so I think I'm crossing that out as I don't want to be dealing with adapters or anything extra.

Maybe one of you might know, but how do the Arturia preamps compare to the Audient? I believe the Arturia get more gain, but what about the quality?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I was looking for an ADAT expansion, like you, but my primary interface. After looking, reading around and trying, I bought the Clarett OctoPre and am ver pleased ... sounds good and vety functional and practical to use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search