The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bongos
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Bongos

Hello, any suggestions for budget bongos in the $250 price range? how would you mic them? At what distance?1 mic or stereo?which type of mic would you use?ribbon? condenser?dynamic? Large diaphragm?Small diaphragm? Any other suggestions is most welcome. thanks much,ob1
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Or is $250 in the high end budget wise?ob1
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not sure about specific bongos, but in terms of miking, it depends a bit on what you need.

If they are part of a dense mix with many other instruments, then one mic, like a 57, placed in the middle of both bongo heads, a few inches away and angled down would be my starting point.

Two 57's, one for each head, could get you some separation for each bongo and panning ability if the mix calls for it and the inputs allow for it.

Or a single well-placed condensor out front could get a better natural image of the bongos in the room, which could be enough for your purposes, and would sound different than close-miking with a dynamic on the head, for example.

If the track is just the bongos, and you want them to sound gloriously huge and detailed, you might want individual mics on top and bottom of each drum and a room mic or stereo room mic out front for depth... I mean, I can't imagine ever doing that but my point is it depends on what you need out of those two little bongos.

I could see dynamics, certain ribbons, or condensors all being useable - look at other percussion miking threads to get a sense of the many different ways you could go about it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sometimes you don't even need the bongos

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

here's a pic of cyril neville (of the neville brothers) from a show i mixed not too long ago:

single sm57 from underneath (in order not to compromise the sightlines) - don't spend too much money on mics which just need to pic up very simple instruments!
Attached Thumbnails
Bongos-u_1460407711_bfb16-8apr-3393.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I have a set of Meinl Free Ride bongos in the studio that I'm quite pleased with.

I usually mic them with two LDCs about 6" away from each drum, sometimes a bit further if I want more of the room. Sometimes I'll mic them in mono with one LDC, it depends what other percussion elements are in the arrangement and what I'm planning for the mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search