The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First cans/monitors for general purposes. Help!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

First cans/monitors for general purposes. Help!

Hi everyone.
I'm a professional bass/upright player and my birthday approaches. With a budget between 90-150 euro, I want something to mix and listen to music.
I've got an audio interface to do bass recordings and at the moment I haven't got monitors and my cans were lost in a gig. So, let's put things in context:

- My room is untreated and won't be
- Max. 150 euro
- No pro mixing, but something relatively reliable
- If I choose cans, they don't need to be closed, since I record plugged, even with double bass.
- No chance to try or compare anything in shops.

So, reading lots of stuff, I'm leaning towards headphones (Sony 7506, Akg 702... m50x...). But cheap monitors like new Mackie CR4x could be an option.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 3 weeks ago
Try to save a couple more bucks and get Sennheiser hd600

I have a lot of cans... 7520s, akg 701, focal elegia (which are 3x the price of the Sennheiser)

The 600s beat all of them, quite easily for me. The low end is just right and the resolution is spectacular.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a few sets of phones but my Senn hd650s are the most reliable and enjoyable to use.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, but it's a gift and by no means it can be over 150 bucks.
Old 3 weeks ago

I recently got the 250 Ohm DT770 Pro from BeyerDynamic.

Not that I have a lot of high end cans, but they reproduce the lower octaves very well. Very natural with lots of bass extension.

-tINY

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

martisanma, where are you?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
I’ve tried several in this budget range, and I came out liking the Beyerdynamic dt770 the best... you can even get good deals secondhand if that helps budgetwise... should be no more than 60-70€ second hand, or right in the middle of ur price bracket new...
They aren’t fancy/sexy/cool or new, they’ve been around for a very long time... but they work damn well, and I find that mixes I do on these only need minimal adjustment when I listen on my big monitors (dynaudio) and small monitors (genelec)...
There’s definitely a reason why you see them around so often in pro work...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'm in Andalusia, Spain. What I see second hand is loads of Behringer or things ridiculously priced.

Would you discard monitors? Quite many options in the price range.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
It’s really a matter of preference... and if your room is treated or not...
But for the money, 100€ headphones are way nicer than 100€ monitors...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone!
Finally I found an Amazon offer. 86€ for the Shure SRH-840. At least if I don't like them I can send them back.
With time I'll go for a nice pair of monitors and some higher end cans.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
martisanma, where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martisanma View Post
I'm in Andalusia, Spain.
Ok, just wondering if you were in the UK where I have a little more local knowledge but, sorry, not in Spain.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by martisanma View Post
Thanks everyone!
Finally I found an Amazon offer. 86€ for the Shure SRH-840. At least if I don't like them I can send them back.
With time I'll go for a nice pair of monitors and some higher end cans.
Very nice. I bought a pair for live sound work on the recommendation of the Dave Rat "headphone quest" on YouTube.

Advice - keep them in the soft case to keep the dust off them and don't sit on them.

This review pretty much reflects my own experience and discusses the Sonarworks software which I've been considering and might be of interest to you.

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/revi...e-review/#pros
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Very nice. I bought a pair for live sound work on the recommendation of the Dave Rat "headphone quest" on YouTube.

Advice - keep them in the soft case to keep the dust off them and don't sit on them.

This review pretty much reflects my own experience and discusses the Sonarworks software which I've been considering and might be of interest to you.

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/revi...e-review/#pros
Thank you so much!
I'll give it a calm read. Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search