The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about polar patterns of various versions of Blue Baby Bottle mics
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Question about polar patterns of various versions of Blue Baby Bottle mics

*** EDIT: FREQUENCIES/ NOT polar patterns***

Hello...

According to recordinghacks.com, the Blue Baby Bottle mic has the identical polar pattern to Blue Yeti's cardioid pattern, except raised up a ton, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a Blue Yeti from 2011 and have been using it for vocals ever since (it's perfect for my voice, mezzo), but I want an XLR mic. I'm looking for that balanced, rich warmth I get from the Yeti. And I realize I could just buy the XLR Yeti but I want to try something new instead of buy the exact same mic I already have.

Anyways, after hours of research, I see that there are many different versions of their Baby Bottle mic, and I'm wondering which one has the polar pattern that recordinghacks notes...

I realize this is a weird question, haha. I see some "Made in Latvia" baby bottles floating around for sale, and I'm wondering which mic I should purchase! Made in Latvia, or brand new version ?!?!

I don't have tons of money to gamble so I'm just asking for advice. I'm also going to be buying a cheap ribbon for instrument recording but I wanted an XLR vocal mic to step up my setup. All other condensers I've tried that are popular for vocals, like the AKG & Rodes, are just way too sparkly for my taste! I love the cleanliness of condensers, but I don't like the crispness... I want smooth and rich.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

"warmth," you're apparently saying "polar pattern" when you mean "frequency response," which could be confusing to some readers.

I have a Latvian BBB and 3 Chinese BBBs. I would describe the difference as: the Latvian mic has a high-frequency spike reminiscent of the Manley Ref Cardioid. Definitely some "definition" and edge there. The Chinese mics do not have nearly as much of this trait, so they sound mellower. They seem to be more prone to low end saturation, as well. If you're all about the bass; no treble, then get a Chinese BBB. If you want the whole modern-but-slightly-crunchy thing, get a Latvian BBB.

All the best.

Last edited by Dan Popp; 4 weeks ago at 12:29 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yes! You're right! That's what I meant frequency response, sorry. And thank you!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

oh my gosh... just coming back to this post to say I got the Latvian Baby Bottle, it's pure love... it's exactly the frequency pattern as stated on Recordinghacks.com and it's exactly what I wanted... that heavy mid range frequency is perfect for my voice, somewhere between alto & mezzo with a medium amount of air/thickness... I find that I no longer need to sing super close to the mic like I always have in the past. Not only that, but the mic is EXTREMELY quiet and for whatever reason I don't pick up ANY air or room sound, which again, is exactly what I wanted... I couldn't be more happy, I almost want to get another just in case haha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search