The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
purchased a second hand nt1-a, and it might be broken.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
purchased a second hand nt1-a, and it might be broken.

So I recently decided my voice acting booth needed a bit of an upgrade. So I went looking. Price needed to stay low because a certain global pandemic is shortening your boys funds at the moment. I settled with this second hand nt1-a for around 150 USD, which was a steal for that mic. I bought it and was so excited i sorta forgot to test the darn thing before I bought it. Now, I'm no expert but im pretty sure when you plug in the microphone and makes sure cables and interface is all good, including phantompower, the microphone is suppossed to work. I've got no sound output whatsoever other than the a little whine when I initially plug in the microphone. if sound clips are needed I can provide. I've checked about every thing under the sun, I replaced the cable, audio interface, DAW, tried a different pc, still no dice. I figured before I open this thing up I should come on one of these forums to try to get some possible answers, and if i get non someone could at least help me figure out what needs re-soldering on here. i'll share the current setup im trying to run the mic off (tested with an at 2020 and a sure model 565SD to make sure it wasn't the interface)
rode nt1-a (obviously)
behringer u-phoria UM2 (though I have a scarlet 2i2 as well, just wired into my booth and is hard to get out)
a few miscellaneous XLR cables that are all tested to work with the previously mentioned microphones.
if you need more let me know! could really use some help figuring out what exactly is going on here.

Edit: already found that the extended prong signature of rode microphones is out a little too far and pushing it back in slightly has fixed my problem, then there was a bit of a buzz, so I tried pushing in the rest of the prongs and, perfect clear sound. So maybe now this is a discussion about whether or not the extended prong on rode mics is efficient or maybe even a design flaw that could lead to accidental damage down the road? My best bet is that someone had set this mic down with those prongs facing down a little too rough and it broke the whole xlr output of the microphone. Has anyone else ever had this problem with their NT1-A?

Last edited by EatzVR; 4 weeks ago at 07:57 PM.. Reason: found an interesting "solution"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've not heard of this but will have a look at my own. Might save me a problem in the future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Good to know my mini heart attack when my mic didn't work at least helped someone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search