The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analogue mixer with post fader & eq direct outs
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Analogue mixer with post fader & eq direct outs

hi there, i'm looking for a 'vibey' old mixing desk to use as a performance tool to get my arrangements done on the fly as i multitrack record into the computer through the many inputs on my audio interface.

the only definite option i've found so far is the soundcraft fx16ii but was hoping for something a little more characterful, with good gain distortion etc.

can anyone recommend a good cheap board with post fader, post eq direct outs? most of the boards i've come across involve using the insert which is obviously pre fader and wouldn't capture mutes, eq changes, fade ins etc
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
It's hard to say specifically since a lot of vibey older desks are used, and what it comes down to a lot of the time is whatever you can find for a good deal locally (fb marketplace, craigslist etc). How many inputs/outputs do you need? They're not glamorous, but older Yamaha's can get some gunk by being pushed and they're a great deal usually. I used to use one I found at Goodwill for $30 that I recorded post-fader post-eq into a Behringer Xenyx line input. A noisier way to do things but got the vibe I wanted.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

what yamaha desk were you using? i just had a little look on the bay and there are a lot for sale but none seem to have direct outs.

i'm looking at anything with 8, 12 or 16 channels.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecat View Post
what yamaha desk were you using? i just had a little look on the bay and there are a lot for sale but none seem to have direct outs.

i'm looking at anything with 8, 12 or 16 channels.
I can't remember, but it was an 8 channel. More important than the model I think is continuing to search for local stuff that fits your needs then pounce in whatever seems cheap and decent. Would an Allen & Heath MixWizard work for your uses? They're usually easy to find and inexpensive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

the mixwizard looks perfect functionality wise...

regarding the direct outs, some models seem to be pre fader and some post. it's gotta be post for me! i'll do some more research.

cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago

How about a SOundcraft K1 or K2?

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Peavey AMR Productions series consoles have direct outs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Seems that might have been one of the jumper mods' Mackie offered in their 24-8 bus manual?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Tascam M320(b). Get the b version if possible. The A version doesnt have phantom power. The direct out on each channel is post eq and post fader. It is activated when the channel is in the off position. This is key because you can wire your outs from your interface into the line ins so all you have to do is flip a couple switches and you can mix back through the board with out any rewiring. They go anywhere from 400 to 800 bucks. Kicks the **** out of a Mackie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search