The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let's build a studio - on a budget.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I would never take out loans to piss away at someone else’s property unless I knew with absolute certainty I had the clientele to pull it off. If you have access to a little capital, why put it in someone else’s pocket?

The people on here warning you of debt are wise to do so. It’s not fun and indeed a form a slavery. I had 50k ($500 a month) of student loans and it destroyed my mental health. This is no joke.

If you have access to extra capital, put it into education or a property that could support your dream studio in the long run. Real estate is a reasonably stable investment. Shoot, see if you can buy a commercial building and slowly build your studio. But building a studio in someone else’s building off loans sounds like a world of hurt.

Be kind to your future self.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyull View Post
I would never take out loans to piss away at someone else’s property unless I knew with absolute certainty I had the clientele to pull it off. If you have access to a little capital, why put it in someone else’s pocket?

The people on here warning you of debt are wise to do so. It’s not fun and indeed a form a slavery. I had 50k ($500 a month) of student loans and it destroyed my mental health. This is no joke.

If you have access to extra capital, put it into education or a property that could support your dream studio in the long run. Real estate is a reasonably stable investment. Shoot, see if you can buy a commercial building and slowly build your studio. But building a studio in someone else’s building off loans sounds like a world of hurt.

Be kind to your future self.
I think a really good thing they could do is find plans for a tiny house (or a large stable shed) and make that into a studio. Used shipping containers go for cheap enough too (of course that would be a pain to transport, but solid idea). Then it could just be set up in a yard for not too much cost. In a container they could put the cheapest OSB on the the walls and floor, then use blankets and mineral wool to kill the reflections. A trailer could work too, but I've seen used shipping containers go for $1,500.

And yeah, debt's a bitch. I'm lucky enough to still live at home while I save money to move (planning a big move to Vancouver, saving about a year of living expenses plus a couple extra thousand for moving expenses).

I can't thing of a practical reason they couldn't build a small studio in their yard if they get a house. It's probably gonna be significantly cheaper than leasing a building. Build a big shed or get a couple containers and weld them together. It won't be impressive looking, but as long as you treat the resonance and reflections it'll work just as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search