The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overly hissy Sennheiser MKH416?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Overly hissy Sennheiser MKH416?

Hey there,

currently I am working on my Voice Over setup and I recorded a sample with the Sennheiser MKH416 plugged into the Audient ID14.
The Sennheiser is supposed to have very low self-noise, I've seen a couple of reviews and there was no hiss at all.
However, I find the sample I attached to be quite hissy. Same with other interfaces (I tested several).
Is this normal? It's weird how in BoothJunkie's vids and other YouTube videos I can't hear the slightest bit of noise.

Compared to the Neumann TLM102, the noise floor sounds a lot higher, even though there should only be a 1db difference as I understand.

Cheers!

btw the sample is German
Attached Files

Sennheiser MKH416 Audient ID14.wav (6.21 MB, 242 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVolvox View Post
Hey there,

currently I am working on my Voice Over setup and I recorded a sample with the Sennheiser MKH416 plugged into the Audient ID14.
The Sennheiser is supposed to have very low self-noise, I've seen a couple of reviews and there was no hiss at all.
However, I find the sample I attached to be quite hissy. Same with other interfaces (I tested several).
Is this normal? It's weird how in BoothJunkie's vids and other YouTube videos I can't hear the slightest bit of noise.

Compared to the Neumann TLM102, the noise floor sounds a lot higher, even though there should only be a 1db difference as I understand.

Cheers!

btw the sample is German
Booth Junkie also has something like a $2000 preamp. When and where did you buy the 416? Was it used? Are you comparing your MKH416 to a TLM102 that you own? Or samples found online?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Booth Junkie also has something like a $2000 preamp. When and where did you buy the 416? Was it used? Are you comparing your MKH416 to a TLM102 that you own? Or samples found online?
In his first review of it he plugged it into his Zoom, at least he says so.
I tested them on my own, both microphones come from a professional store.
Old 3 weeks ago
Your room tone at end of voice sample has a super abundance of low end detail, boosting about 30-35 db between 300hz and 60hz!! Also a 10-12 db boost starting at ~5khz on up to 20khz. That "smiley face" profile seems odd. Very odd. If I owned that wav form, I'd suspect a preamp/interface issue, as both mics have a low noise floor, and then I'd address/resolve the overall room noise level.

Mic-wise, 416 is just a bit more sensitive that the 102, requiring a little less gain to arrive at the same output level. (this is personal experience, I have both) 416 is a bit more peaky in the mid range - 102 is smoother on top. Neither "right or wrong"... depends on your application.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd View Post
Your room tone at end of voice sample has a super abundance of low end detail, boosting about 30-35 db between 300hz and 60hz!! Also a 10-12 db boost starting at ~5khz on up to 20khz. That "smiley face" profile seems odd. Very odd. If I owned that wav form, I'd suspect a preamp/interface issue, as both mics have a low noise floor, and then I'd address/resolve the overall room noise level.

Mic-wise, 416 is just a bit more sensitive that the 102, requiring a little less gain to arrive at the same output level. (this is personal experience, I have both) 416 is a bit more peaky in the mid range - 102 is smoother on top. Neither "right or wrong"... depends on your application.
hmm, the sound is the same with all the interfaces I tested (SSL2, Audient ID14, Steinberg UR22II). I am working on the room noise, takes some time however. The hiss I mentioned, on the other hand, does not seem to be room-tone-related.
Old 3 weeks ago
^^^ I used the Adobe Audition frequency analyzer to see the 60 > 300 hz "noise" and based my comment on that Keep in mind that figure was still 60dbfs. Maybe it's low level background noise or vibration from AC unit or something like that? Hope it's something you sort out!

OTOH the hiss is something different. I have no hiss with my 416, nor with my 102. And the Audient ID14 never seems to garner much negative comment on hi freq hiss so probably ok there. Could it be the mic?

Dave P.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd View Post
^^^ I used the Adobe Audition frequency analyzer to see the 60 > 300 hz "noise" and based my comment on that Keep in mind that figure was still 60dbfs. Maybe it's low level background noise or vibration from AC unit or something like that? Hope it's something you sort out!

OTOH the hiss is something different. I have no hiss with my 416, nor with my 102. And the Audient ID14 never seems to garner much negative comment on hi freq hiss so probably ok there. Could it be the mic?

Dave P.
yes, it's most certainly related to low level vibrations from the heating in the basement of the house. I can't turn it off, unfortunately.
On the other hand, I didn't use any sort of shock mount, so it might just disappear when I use one.

So the hiss is not normal. I am going to return the mic anyway, maybe some point later I will get my hands on an other copy to see if the hiss is still there.

thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just out of curiosity, what is your gain level set at?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search