The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 8pre-es preamp quality
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Motu 8pre-es preamp quality

Can anyone speak to the quality of the pres in the Motu 8pre es (or 8m, for that matter)?

I need to move on from my zen studio, which sounds amazing but is an unreliable beast on the hard and soft ware side of things... i love the sound, but it’s so unreliable it has to go.

Could the ‘es’ Motu devices match the sound quality?

Other option is the rme ufx2... but more expensive and fewer preamps so I’d have to be using externals, which is not ideal...

These 2 motu offer exactly what I need. Can the preamps cut it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bump.

I have the 828es and found the pres surprisingly good, although a bit noisy at the very top of the gain range (last 5-10db or so), but haven't found a pre that isn't. Seemed to be a step up from interface pres I've had in the past (M-Audio, Presonus) but then again, the bar wasn't very high. Haven't put them through the paces really as I have nice outboard pres that I use, but I'm actually considering the 8pre-es over the Audient ASP800/880 at the moment for extra channels.

Conversion was also impressive to me - but again, stepping up from budget gear there. Still, was a noticeable upgrade.

Software, expandability, features and routing is AWESOME. And MOTU was really easy to work with when my unit got fried. Big plus if you're in the U.S.

Despite my experience with the 828es, I'd like to know more from people who have really spent the time putting the pres through the paces, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
The ES Motu's definitely do seem to be a big step up from their previous gear... I used to have an ultralite mkIII hybrid, and before that a traveler, and both were good, but not up to what I'd call a "pro" standard soundwise... It seems like these ES ones might have improved up to that point...

I saw this shootout, which is compressed ****ty youtube audio admittedly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmGgySjkAI

And in this shootout, I think I actually found the Motu to sound better! Although the guy in the video was pretty pro-RME...

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search