The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap ADAT Preamps, what's good? Digimax LT?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Cheap ADAT Preamps, what's good? Digimax LT?

Hi,
Recently browsing my local classifieds and came across a listing for an old Digimax LT, is anyone still using these and/or are they still any good?
I'm currently using a UMC1820 and the lack of inserts is really killing me, so the Digimax LT seems to solve that issue.

Are there any other models I should be looking out for in the 'extremely cheap' price range and are there any major reasons to not pick up the LT?

The used price on the LT is about 150 USD, for comparison's sake I can get an ADA8000 for about $100, though I've heard not great things about that pre and it doesn't have inserts. Only other ADAT Pre near me is an old SM PRO EP84 for $100 which seems to have either been loved or hated in its day depending on who you talk to.

Thanks,
Sloth
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Get the ADA8200 rather than the ADA8000.

The 8200 is a newer better unit and can be found almost as cheap.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Oops sorry pulled the trigger too fast and then processed that inserts are important to you.

The 8200 doesn't have inserts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
Oops sorry pulled the trigger too fast and then processed that inserts are important to you.

The 8200 doesn't have inserts.
Thanks for the recommendation but yes, the 8200 doesn't have inserts and it doesn't exist used here, I was going to grab a few things off Thomann including one but they stopped stocking it unexpectedly. New prices here suck so importing is just about the only option. Thankyou for the reply though.

I'm very interested if anyone still has a Digimax or Sm Pro preamp as mentioned, some old reviews seemed to love them. I guess that likely answers my first question though, no, nobody is still using them.

Thanks,
Sloth
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have a Digimax LT that I last used with my band a few years ago to record demos/projects. I also have used a Behringer ADA8000 and in stock form the LT pres sound better. The LT's pres are closer in design to the earlier production PreSonus MP20 mic preamps without the input transformers, compared to the newer Digimax FS and D8 XMAX pres that use discrete parts.

Only thing lacking in the LT is that the A-D converters aren't 'sharp' sounding (a little hazy) and the mic preamps have only about 50db of gain or so.

For $150 for a used LT you can do much worse. The LT has phantom power and pads for each channel, channel inserts for outboard gear. Try it, if you don't like the sound you can probably sell it for what you paid.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh91311 View Post
I have a Digimax LT that I last used with my band a few years ago to record demos/projects. I also have used a Behringer ADA8000 and in stock form the LT pres sound better. The LT's pres are closer in design to the earlier production PreSonus MP20 mic preamps without the input transformers, compared to the newer Digimax FS and D8 XMAX pres that use discrete parts.

Only thing lacking in the LT is that the A-D converters aren't 'sharp' sounding (a little hazy) and the mic preamps have only about 50db of gain or so.

For $150 for a used LT you can do much worse. The LT has phantom power and pads for each channel, channel inserts for outboard gear. Try it, if you don't like the sound you can probably sell it for what you paid.
Thanks for the comment, now that Thomann have finally started restocking the 8200 I'm having trouble justifying purchasing the extremely old Digimax over spending the extra $20 for the 8200 considering the amount of praise I've seen for it on here. I suppose I'll just leave it for a bit if I can't make my mind up and see what else becomes available.

Thanks again,
Sloth

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search