The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ID22 converters vs RME converters?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

ID22 converters vs RME converters?

I am wondering which converters are best? I know best can be a subjective thing.
But is the Audient ID22 or 44 converters a match for RME converters?

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Was going to make a similar thread but will add on to this as in stuck between rme babyface pro fs and audient id44

I'm basically just gonna a be doing vocal tracking for now but would like to have options going forward. (Especially to add external compressor/pre possibilities with less stress). Just want my sound captured and delivered nice with no added bs. Also multiple outputs for monitors that I can control separately (2-3 sets...2 is fine)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

For sure ID44 would be easy using outboard as you would have to monitor through the headphones on the Babyface cos you would be using the monitor outputs for your outs
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by finlove View Post
For sure ID44 would be easy using outboard as you would have to monitor through the headphones on the Babyface cos you would be using the monitor outputs for your outs
And the pres and adda on the audient is clean enough to get good recordings now?

Also ill be using windows.. I dont know if theres any issues with driver stability on audient but always hear rme drivers are solid.

Sometimes im tracking a lot of stems with production also.

I'm definitely learning towards audient for quoted reasons..as if I dont end liking the pres I can buy external ad well ad adding a compressor

As long as the ad/da convertere is up to scratch. This is what I keep going back and forth on ?

I'm just definitely looking for a long term workhorse
Old 4 weeks ago
JAT
Lives for gear
Audient makes good stuff. RME makes good stuff, esp. drivers. Find the unit that most matches your needs and price. Personally, I have no problem working on an audient here at home.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

A difference in fidelity will be nigh on impossible to perceive - the converters may have slightly different sounds, however, and the qualities of these are mostly subjective
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusFaber View Post
A difference in fidelity will be nigh on impossible to perceive - the converters may have slightly different sounds, however, and the qualities of these are mostly subjective
If such is the case why do people bother to buy really expensive A/D D/A converters?
I am not being smart, genuinely asking
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Some people simply chase numbers while some find that what seems like very small or even imperceptable differences in sound to others are to them actually worth pursuing.

Basic decent cheap converters will get you 90% plus of the way there. How much is that extra 10% or even those last couple of percent worth to you??

What's the noise floor of the room you record in? Is it a great sounding room? What other gear are you using?? Are you recording a $250,000.00 Bosendofer piano or a $100.00 Chinese acoustic guitar? Do you have amazing microphones or are working with the best you can manage for under $200??

It's like lots of things one can go crazy micro on stuff and whether that is legit or not depends on the situation and who you ask.

Do you need a $250,000.00 piano to make a great piano recording?

Do you need a $30,000.00 set of golf clubs to play a great game of golf?

Get what I'm saying?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
RME has a few generations of ADDA currently in production. Pick the one that you think has best match of your needs and budget. I would not pick audient, it is usb. And I would not pick a usb device from RME either. I use firewire today and would go thunderbolt or pcie today.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

My purely subjective opinion: I marginally prefer the converters in my Audient iD44 to those I had in a RME Babyface. Both are pretty good.

Out of interest, I also have a Ferrofish Pulse 16, which is hooked up via a RME Digiface. This sounds the same to me as the Audient.

The RME converters sound slightly harder to me, but I can imagine some people preferring them.

I find the Audient mic pres far superior to those on the Babyface.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
I would not pick audient, it is usb. And I would not pick a usb device from RME either. I use firewire today and would go thunderbolt or pcie today.
Not sure why you would dismiss USB interfaces all together??

USB interfaces are a whole lot better than they were years ago. If you are chasing after the absolute lowest latency then they just aren't the quickest out there but unless you are doing guitar or piano sims and need to hear the plug as you are playing super low latency really isn't an issue.

Current USB interfaces can work for amp sims, it's just a matter of how low you can go with USB and just how sensitive you are to the latency.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraan View Post
My purely subjective opinion: I marginally prefer the converters in my Audient iD44 to those I had in a RME Babyface. Both are pretty good.

Out of interest, I also have a Ferrofish Pulse 16, which is hooked up via a RME Digiface. This sounds the same to me as the Audient.

The RME converters sound slightly harder to me, but I can imagine some people preferring them.

I find the Audient mic pres far superior to those on the Babyface.
Maraan, are you using the BFP or the old babyface? Can you explain why you say that about the preamps? I have a BFP and use outboard preamps. I'd love to find a all in one solution.

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey Steve!

I had the old Babyface (until it sadly blew up!). I found the preamps unusable, too thin and weak for my taste (on the other hand a friend of mine values them for their transparency). So I always used external preamps, and I have a few, but a Langevin DVC and a Peavey VMP2 generally got the most use (occasionally JoeMeek VC1, Alice 828 or ex-BBC Glensound). I have no experience with the Babyface Pro.

Recently I have found myself using the Audient preamps more and more often. They are not as coloured or as characterful as my other candidates, but I certainly find them more muscular than those on the Babyface. Sometimes they are just the ticket, and they are always at least very decent.

The Audient DI inputs are quite good too.

Just my personal opinion of course, it's all good stuff!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlove View Post
If such is the case why do people bother to buy really expensive A/D D/A converters?
I am not being smart, genuinely asking
careful..you're treading on shaky ground there asking leading questions like that round these parts...

i guess its a matter of diminishing returns. There are people who are working at such a level that they are willing to pay a fortune to get an edge. Even if they have to employ a little self deception to believe that they have justified parting with a fortune.

Converter technology has come on in such leaps and bounds that past a certain point it starts to all get a bit fairy dust.

Of course the circuitry around the converters is a big part of performance too..and this can make or break..

and then you have BURL stuff and the like that employ transformers and such to deliberately provide a 'sound'
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audient Id4,22,44 sounds WAY better than RME Babyface Pro apparently

Related post/comment. If you get rack sized stuff, you will probably have better quality but basically within the same ballpark/range. I would compare it to two batches of apples, and one batch is newer than the other.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Coming through RME UFX to UA TWIN to AUDIENT iD22 to iD14 I just bought iD44
-Obviously I kind of like AUDIENT stuff

Matti
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The iD14 is an amazing interface for the price, but the Babyface Pro FS is in many ways better; mainly fantastic drivers and mixer, more definition on the low end, clearer top in the conversion, less coloured preamps.

I had both, make nice recordings with both, the coloration of the iD14 could even be welcome in some cases. But, I vastly prefer the Babyface Pro FS for my uses.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

i use an iD22. This thread is about the converters, I have to say they sound wonderful to me and a huge step up from my previous MOTU 8pre - though I guess this is a moot point as you are wanting direct comparisons to a RME.

While im on kinda less related points..the pre's on the iD22/44 are worth the price of the interface alone..and then some.

They are some of the cleanest, most musical pre's I have ever used on a USB interface - check out the tape op review, he nails what I experience

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search