The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fostex 250 4 track - Transport Issue
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Fostex 250 4 track - Transport Issue

Hi All,

I have just taken delivery of a Fostex 250 which is in really good condition!

When playing a tape it plays back really slowly even though the pitch knob is at 0.

I have been told it could be the motor belt that needs replacing, is that the main belt (here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-MAIN-...kAAOxyj4hTItUN)

Or does anyone else have any ideas why playback might be slow
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The belt should be the first thing to look , if this is not the case there could be internal speed adjustment set to low or something else inside . Motor need certain voltage that can be easy checked , but take look in this thread HELP REPAIR Fostex Model 250
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Just checking but by 0 do you mean centred?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have now changed the main belt with a replacement I ordered (correct size) and I have put it back together and now the tape barely plays at all.

I did notice the smaller belt (Capstan?) was pretty loose and if I rotated the smaller wheel it didn't turn with the belt correctly. Would this cause the transport issue?

I can't find a UK supplier of the smaller belt, is there anything else I could use as a substitute

and sorry yes I did mean the pitch control was centred. I have added a photo of the smaller belt
Attached Thumbnails
Fostex 250 4 track - Transport Issue-img_0888.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Could try to order a set of 50 belts of different size these sets have very low price but the longest in the set is 13 cm

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Cool just checking.

You could try putting a small elastic band around the small brass wheel to give the old belt more purchase as a quick fix test to see if that belt is the problem

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search