The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me choose the right mic for my voice
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Help me choose the right mic for my voice

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been slowly learning the basics of engineering/recording with a very low-cost set up. However, a few months ago I bought a Lewitt LCT-440 Pure to track acoustic guitars and possibly some vocals and, although I do like the mic a fair amount, I will soon be looking into upgrading my vocal mic to something that is specifically tailored for my voice, since I only record my own music for now.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time nor the means (moreso right now with coronavirus on full blast) to go out and test different types of mics, so I was wondering if anyone here within the community would be so kind as to recommend an appropriate mic for my voice type? I will post a link to a single I put out last year so you can hear what my vox timbre sounds like (male vox, tenor range, soft but nasal).

The vocal mic I used was a sm57 thru an apogee duet into logic pro x. Recorded and mixed by yours truly. Here's the link: https://alcastiella.bandcamp.com/

My budget limit is $1500 and the options I'm reviewing at the moment are:

Neumann TLM-103 (I am aware of how divisive this mic is around here)
Telefunken TF-39 Copperhead
Soundelux USA U195
Sennheiser MD-441U
AKG C414-ULS

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

P.D: should probably mention that the new mic is to be used thru apollo twin x pre's and converters, w unison stuff, in case that matters.
Old 3 days ago

It's hard to tell with that mix and all that processing. But, it sounds like your voice has plenty of presence, but may benefit from some richness.

So, a transformer-coupled design might be a good direction.

The SD u195 isn't exactly a budget mic. You might try an MXL v67g or an ADK A6 (or A/S-51), or even a sE-2200.

If you are looking to spend more money - think hard about a CharterOak H1000A, Roswell ProAudio Colares, or a Mojave MA-1000.

-tINY

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

One plan. Get either the U195 or Copperhead. Then take the left over $$... And either get a Soyuz Launcher for your 57. Or get either a Beyer M88TG or M201 TG.
Thomann USA is probably selling these Beyers cheaper new, than any other US dealer.

Another... Get the UT 47FET, when it becomes available (expected within 3 weeks) or the Vanguard V13. Take other $500 and get one of those Beyers, from left the over $$.

BTW Warren at Zen Pro Audio (Warhead here) is a very cool guy. I recently bought The Launcher from him. Excellent communication, and he's a "gear geek" just like us too.

You may want to call him, and he may let you demo all four microphones at once, that I mentioned.
Expect to leave a credit card number, as per usual.
But talk to him first. Worth a call.

I noticed that the U195 and Copperhead are almost the same price.
And the UT 47FET and Vanguard V13 are the same...

So at the very least my guess, is that you could try each price point, a pair at a time. Of course, it would be up to you and Warren to figure that out.

BTW... I was going to save up after singing/trying the U195, at NAMM 2018, to get one. Very tough choice for me, between that and the T-Funk Copperhead.
I figured I'd get it, around my birthday (in May) or at least Christmas. Ended up winning the Bock Booth drawing for it!

Between the UT47 FET, and the V13 honestly... I gravitate naturally towards the Neumann-ish sound. So I prefer the UT.
But they're both excellent sounding microphones too.

There have been business issues mentioned before here at GS, regarding Charter Oak.
Look them up, and you can better evaluate any risk thereby.

If you want to experiment with a quality ribbon-at a low cost, the Samar AL-95 has a beautiful tone.
I would also expect the No Hype ribbons, to sound very good also.
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

To me it literally sounds like your voice is perfect for an sm57.. plenty of No #1 hits were sung into one in studios where almost any mic would have been available in the locker.

57's are perfect for adding a bit of smoothness, darkeness and thickness to vocals, it usually sits in the mix nicely as well... just make sure you use a really nice preamp with plenty of gain available.

Michael
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

...or a Mojave MA-1000.

-tINY

Are you rocking one of these?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I own a Mojave M-1000 and have used a Copperhead. Both are excellent on a wide variety of male vocals. If I had to decide which I would try first on your voice, I would go with the Copperhead. I can’t explain why because it isn’t a rational fact-based decision, it’s just this side of a coin flip.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search