The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing sub bass
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

Mixing sub bass

Hi I have a Yamaha HS8 it has. Frequency response of 38hz to 30khzis it suitable for mixing sub bass.
Old 27th February 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob39 View Post
Hi I have a Yamaha HS8 it has. Frequency response of 38hz to 30khzis it suitable for mixing sub bass.
Learn about room acoustics, mods, nulls and better yet, buy a measurement mic and learn how to use RoomEQWizard software. You will see whether it is suitable in your room.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Learn about room acoustics, mods, nulls and better yet, buy a measurement mic and learn how to use RoomEQWizard software. You will see whether it is suitable in your room.

Wouldn’t that be overkill for a near field speaker.
Old 27th February 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wouldn’t that be overkill for a near field speaker.
You will have to eventually learn it not "for a nearfield speaker", but for your dear self.
Damn, owning a 909 and asking these questions. That was not like that in my times. Seriously, the question is not about the speakers per se, there is room+speakers+positioning+brain system as a whole. Learning acoustic measurement is a skill gained once and for a lifetime plus once the right spots are found, the brain will say thank you for the measurement/placement efforts, since it can and will memorize how the thing should sound, but cannot imagine.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
specs of mi-gear are often somewhat euphemistic to say the least... - anyway, you cannot hear the lowest frequencies on these speakers; they are missing out on an entire octave - to hear down into lowest octave, you either need a very capable subwoofer or then a pair of decent headphones.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 28th February 2020 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
You will have to eventually learn it not "for a nearfield speaker", but for your dear self.
Damn, owning a 909 and asking these questions. That was not like that in my times. Seriously, the question is not about the speakers per se, there is room+speakers+positioning+brain system as a whole. Learning acoustic measurement is a skill gained once and for a lifetime plus once the right spots are found, the brain will say thank you for the measurement/placement efforts, since it can and will memorize how the thing should sound, but cannot imagine.
It says in the manual the speakers have to 1.5 meters away from the wall or you need to tinker withe the room control, so the speaker is 4 inches away from the corner of the room how much do I need too turn the room control down.?
Old 29th February 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
It says in the manual the speakers have to 1.5 meters away from the wall or you need to tinker withe the room control, so the speaker is 4 inches away from the corner of the room how much do I need too turn the room control down.?
It all has to do with the actual room and placement. Those manual's recomendations are too general.
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
It all has to do with the actual room and placement. Those manual's recomendations are too general.
It on mentions the back wall in the manual so that’s a good place to start, what would you suggest for adjusting the room control dial? Apparently the closer to the back wall the speaker is the louder the bass will sound.?
Old 1st March 2020
Gear Head

They are hollow walls not brick
Old 1st March 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

I have already told you if you are serious spend $50 on measurement mic and find the best spot in the room, might take a day with a friend, but pays 100x in the long run. I cannot help more, especially if the asking person ignores the advice.
Old 1st March 2020
Gear Head

I wouldn’t know what to do with this one
Old 1st March 2020
Gear Head

I’ve got a sound level meter will that do.?
Old 1st March 2020
Gear Head

Also I’m unable to move the speakers anywhere due to space
Old 1st March 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve got a sound level meter will that do.?
play sines from 20 Hz to 400 Hz and see how the SPL wildly varies.
Old 1st March 2020
Gear Head

What’s. A spl.?
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Nut

Watch This video.. very good info
(watch all of his stuff while you are at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOexEz0bOG8

Eric
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcycle View Post
Watch This video.. very good info
(watch all of his stuff while you are at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOexEz0bOG8

Eric
I will thank you
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Head

Great video it doesn’t say anything about spl though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In bigger spaces you have your listening bit louder how come but in an average home studio have it around 65 - 70 db measured at your listening point.
Occasionally bit louder but your ears get tired faster at louder than coversation level and then you´ll misimpertect your hearing ( was that English clear enough ? )

Matti
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Keep a radio station playing through your speakers so you can get used to them more. I need to do this. Just listen to music as much as you can through your speakers. Hope it gets you used to low end.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
In bigger spaces you have your listening bit louder how come but in an average home studio have it around 65 - 70 db measured at your listening point.
Occasionally bit louder but your ears get tired faster at louder than coversation level and then you´ll misimpertect your hearing ( was that English clear enough ? )

Matti
Yes I’ll put it into practise, I usually get tired after 20-40 minutes anyway

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search