The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mid range
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Mid range

The last track I made had too much mid range boxy sounds on my latest track I’ve cut all mids on my mackie desk by -12 to -15 and yet when I record my track and bang it through neutron and ozone the mids come through harsh again despite my almost cutting them all on the desk, what’s the deal with that?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

What are you recording?
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

At the moment just a 909 and one 303 for bass and another 303 for distorted lead, various effects and compressors
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Mackie isn't the most efficient EQ. if you cut at the wrong mid freq it's not going to solve your problem.
I'd use a good EQ plugin and weep until I find the frequency you don't want.
Use this:
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...equalizer.html
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Loads of people use mackie
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob39 View Post
Loads of people use mackie
It's not about what people use...it's about the right tool for the right job.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Learn how to use this and shape your sound the way you want : https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...equalizer.html
Old 6 days ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

The EQ on a mackie mixer is fine for basic light corrections.

Depending of the model some don't even have sweep mids
meaning you don"t have the possibility to choose the frequency you want to cut.

And even if you do have a sweep mid
...it's generally only one band (3 with bass and treble)
and not fully parametric (no Bandwidth control, no ‘Q’ setting)

Read here :https://www.fillthesilenceaudioco.com/parametric-eq/
Old 6 days ago
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Also if it doesn't sound right you should check your connections between your different pieces of gear.
Old 6 days ago
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Which mackie mixer is it?
Old 6 days ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 

1604 vlz
Old 6 days ago
  #12
Are you using the correct outputs to record into your computer? For example an AUX output might be pre-fader/EQ.
Old 6 days ago
  #13
Gear Nut
 

If the problem persist while using plugins one could assume the room acoustics are fudged up and it’s causing you to choose the wrong frequencies. A common problem for most of us home studio peeps. Supplanting with headphones may help expose this or if it’s a problem with the mixer try bypassing it altogether.
Old 6 days ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob39 View Post
1604 vlz
OK you do have one sweep mid band with this one

What happens when you cut the mids, is it changing the sound a bit or not at all?
It's also possible EQ changes the sound on desk stereo out (monitoring) but not through the inserts/return/line outputs...

Is this Mackie desk new to you or you had it for a while?

If you got it recently second hand, it's possible that a previous owner configured the internal jumpers a certain way :
"There are pre-EQ and post-EQ internal jumper options that can be made for the AUX Sends in a 1604.
They require moving and re-soldering wire jumpers internally, but are useful if you don't want your Sends to have any internal EQ applied"

Mackie VLZ 1604 pro - how to use them sends and returns?

I don't have time now but maybe someone might be able to help you if you explain in detail your connections from the 909 to your desk, and then to your interface/computer.

Good luck!
Old 6 days ago
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjj View Post
OK you do have one sweep mid band with this one

What happens when you cut the mids, is it changing the sound a bit or not at all?
It's also possible EQ changes the sound on desk stereo out (monitoring) but not through the inserts/return/line outputs...

Is this Mackie desk new to you or you had it for a while?

If you got it recently second hand, it's possible that a previous owner configured the internal jumpers a certain way :
"There are pre-EQ and post-EQ internal jumper options that can be made for the AUX Sends in a 1604.
They require moving and re-soldering wire jumpers internally, but are useful if you don't want your Sends to have any internal EQ applied"

Mackie VLZ 1604 pro - how to use them sends and returns?

I don't have time now but maybe someone might be able to help you if you explain in detail your connections from the 909 to your desk, and then to your interface/computer.

Good luck!
just the standard jack leads from 909 to desk the two jacks from the desk main outs to Roland quad connected to a Mack book, quad is also connected to 2 krk rokit 8 g2s for monitoring, also there’s a drawmer slapped in the main inserts for some pumping action and a boss micro rack compressor on th insert of the kick drum channel
Old 6 days ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tummond View Post
If the problem persist while using plugins one could assume the room acoustics are fudged up and it’s causing you to choose the wrong frequencies. A common problem for most of us home studio peeps. Supplanting with headphones may help expose this or if it’s a problem with the mixer try bypassing it altogether.

Attic room with windows behind the speakers, also the left and right speakers are stacked because I have no room
Old 6 days ago
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
Are you using the correct outputs to record into your computer? For example an AUX output might be pre-fader/EQ.
Main outputs, would it make any difference if I used the tape or control room outputs
Old 6 days ago
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob39 View Post
Main outputs, would it make any difference if I used the tape or control room outputs
At this stage...you have to try everything you can.
Try tape out, control room...
Try Mono Out as well, and see what happens when you cut the midrange...
Try with other cables...
Try cutting the midrange with another source (microphone, smartphone...)

Just to be sure...what you're saying basically is you hear the EQ being cut while monitoring (speakers..headphones whatever) but on the recording the midrange stays intact??
Old 6 days ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob39 View Post
The last track I made had too much mid range boxy sounds on my latest track I’ve cut all mids on my mackie desk by -12 to -15 and yet when I record my track and bang it through neutron and ozone the mids come through harsh again despite my almost cutting them all on the desk, what’s the deal with that?
what gear are you using? boxy area is 300 - 600hz and this is often a problem area for some lower end gear
Old 6 days ago
  #20
Here for the gear
 

I’m getting closer to the sound I’m trying to emulate though I have to use the vinyl master option in ozone and that seem to push up the sub of the kick into the lower mids I can’t achieve that on the desk alone, is it ok to have the ozone switched on because I’d rather a mix engineer master the track, can I pump it through ozone before sendin* it to a mx engineer"
Old 6 days ago
  #21
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
what gear are you using? boxy area is 300 - 600hz and this is often a problem area for some lower end gear
Maybe I’m getting to ocd about matching my reference track
Old 6 days ago
  #22
Here for the gear
 

The kick I’m trying to match has a slightly overdriven 909 kick but the mid is hollow but upfront... so I can get this sound by cutting my mid but then it is at the back of the mix instead of upfront
Old 4 days ago
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob39 View Post
Attic room with windows behind the speakers, also the left and right speakers are stacked because I have no room
Is what it it is. I think a trusted set of headphones will help a lot. Its very hard to
do everything on headphones and fatigue comes on really quickly but they will give a picture of whats going on without the room mucking sounds up.
Also a mixer with a more versatile eq when possible. Something with minimum of one sweepable mid band.
Old 4 days ago
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

Two different problems :
either
A. the recorded sound is different from the monitored EQ'd sound.
either
B. it's the same but you just can't manage to EQ it close enough to your reference sound.

If it's A. it's a connection/cable/ or room versus headphones problem...you should hear the EQ cuts you did on the desk while playing the recorded sounds

If it's B. you need to try with a more versatile EQ than the one on the Mackie desk..normally a EQ like the one included in your software (Izotope Neutron) should be way more efficient at "sculpting" the sound you want :

I've never used Neutron... but I've used other Izotope software and their EQs are very musical and powerful : 12 EQ band nodes (vs one band on the 1604) and a lot of other options like Flat LP/HP, Resonant LP/HP, Analog lo/hi shelf, Baxandall bass/treble..etc
It looks like the swiss knife of EQs !!

If the Neutron EQ doesn't give you what you want maybe there's a problem with the source?
If the source only puts out mid frequencies...you can boost all the low end you want, boosting zero...you will still get zero.
It's hard to help you remotely!
Old 4 days ago
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tummond View Post
Is what it it is. I think a trusted set of headphones will help a lot. Its very hard to
do everything on headphones and fatigue comes on really quickly but they will give a picture of whats going on without the room mucking sounds up.
Also a mixer with a more versatile eq when possible. Something with minimum of one sweepable mid band.
The mackie has one sweepable mid and the headphones are aka k240
Old 4 days ago
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjj View Post
Two different problems :
either
A. the recorded sound is different from the monitored EQ'd sound.
either
B. it's the same but you just can't manage to EQ it close enough to your reference sound.

If it's A. it's a connection/cable/ or room versus headphones problem...you should hear the EQ cuts you did on the desk while playing the recorded sounds

If it's B. you need to try with a more versatile EQ than the one on the Mackie desk..normally a EQ like the one included in your software (Izotope Neutron) should be way more efficient at "sculpting" the sound you want :

I've never used Neutron... but I've used other Izotope software and their EQs are very musical and powerful : 12 EQ band nodes (vs one band on the 1604) and a lot of other options like Flat LP/HP, Resonant LP/HP, Analog lo/hi shelf, Baxandall bass/treble..etc
It looks like the swiss knife of EQs !!

If the Neutron EQ doesn't give you what you want maybe there's a problem with the source?
If the source only puts out mid frequencies...you can boost all the low end you want, boosting zero...you will still get zero.
It's hard to help you remotely!
The vinyl master preset in ozone seems to do the trick, but can I put my track through ozone before sending it off to be mastered .
Old 4 days ago
  #27
Gear Nut
 

Can I provide some samples? One going through the mixer with eq and without and one bypassing the mixer.
Old 4 days ago
  #28
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob39 View Post
The vinyl master preset in ozone seems to do the trick, but can I put my track through ozone before sending it off to be mastered .
Absolutely, as long as you don't compress/limit too much in Ozone (in order to leave "room" to the mastering engineer)

I haven't used Ozone myself much lately... but I think this preset (vinyl master) in particular is not a loud one (not too much compression)

That say you can use the preset and either reduce the amount of compression/limiting on the dynamics modules, or remove these dynamics modules completely only to keep the rest (EQ, tape sim...etc)

Are you using Ozone on the all mix or only on the 909 tracks/stems?
Old 4 days ago
  #29
Here for the gear
 

On the whole mix I don’t do steams, the version I’ve got is ozone 7 elements which doesn’t let you change much. I’ve got the full version of ozone 7 but it doesnt contain the vinyl master preset.

Vinyl master gets the sound I want
Old 4 days ago
  #30
Here for the gear
 

[QUOTE=johnjj;14534809]Absolutely, as long as you don't compress/limit too much in Ozone (in order to leave "room" to the mastering engineer)

So checking the loudness meter I’m hitting -6db kick drum everything else around -12bd, is that about right?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump