The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar recording without an amp
Old 2nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Guitar recording without an amp

Guitarists with neighbours, how do you do it? My current setup is:

Guitar -> Audio Interface -> Guitar Rig (for amp sim) -> Amplitube (for cab sim)

...where everything else really sucks, but Amplitube's cabs are pretty great! Considered getting a Blackstar amp and use the Line Out. Has anyone done this? The main thing for me, I guess, is to replace the Guitar Rig with something.

I know there is some threads about it, but I thought it would be nice to have a list of ways people actually do it, instead of just speculating about it. It is likely that every possible way sucks, and we just have to live with it.
Old 2nd February 2020
You can always use hardware amp sims and you can re-amp also. You can get great results with those 2 ways
Old 2nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobg View Post
Guitarists with neighbours
I use an iso booth and TBH it's the best guitar tone I have ever gotten. Even vs "real" studios with stacks.
It takes some work and a few bucks but well worth it. Sims just don' cut it for me. Ever since I starting having hearing problems, digital distortion aggravates it.
Old 2nd February 2020
If you record in really small segments, the roland gr 55 is a fun amp simulator.
Or do you mean only software amps?

You can use the drum-kit and record drums with the guitar-strings and create fun songs with bass and guitars and many other instruments.
I have made fun songs when I use it like a loop pedal into sonar and edit every smallest loop after one another as there own recording.

If you listen to the 80s heavy metal records you can find many of the sounds from the albums with the settings from the recording studios of that time.
Old 3rd February 2020
Gear Nut

Hehehe, I’ve always been a loud tubes in a room guitar guy. But about a month ago I laid some scratch tracks down through Guitar Rig... a couple of different amp models... orange and jmp maybe?

Anyways, once the mix was built up they sounded so good that I kept them. Not great in solo, but great in the song context.

I’ve not had much luck with amp direct line outs. My Engl and H&K both sound like trash unless they’re moving air in the room.
Old 3rd February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyFusicTonic View Post
If you record in really small segments, the roland gr 55 is a fun amp simulator.
Or do you mean only software amps?
Sounds great And I mean every possible way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
You can always use hardware amp sims and you can re-amp also.
Reamping the DI guitar tracks thru my MXR Fullbore Metal pedal (which is btw ) into Warm Audio WA12 mic preamp did quite good job actually, with the same GR settings than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
I use an iso booth and TBH it's the best
Yeah, I guess it's the best. I'm just thinking how expensive amp you need in it to get the sound that is not all muddy etc.
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah, I guess it's the best. I'm just thinking how expensive amp you need in it to get the sound that is not all muddy etc.
It's tricky since it depends on your speaker(s) and your gain settings. From my experience the key is the type of insulation you use. I use 2in Owens Corning, 702 or 703 I think it's called ??. I lined my box with it. It really deadens the sound which I like. It works 90% of the time and I play everything from death metal to jazz fusion. The other 10% where dry doesn't work, I add a little verb or reamp it in a real room. Works like a charm.

The insulation will cost you $100 (with shipping), the plywood around $75 from home depot, then another $20 in misc materials. All well worth it IMO. Also you don't have to be good at woodworking or anything. It's just a box. I don't know your setup but in my last Apt. I had a fireplace and I lined that with Owens and stuck a one 12' cab in there and it sounded amazing. I could play all hours and no one could hear it. I miced cabs in rooms for years, with these iso setups I get better sounds. Even if I get a real room I will still use my iso it is that good.
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve never heard an iso box that sounded “right” to me, always a bit weird and boxy, and not quiet enough. Amps in my small room are too loud, don’t have space to throw a cab somewhere else. When I switched to a Two Notes Torpedo Live I sold everything else. Just plug my amp right into that, silent recording, with the right IRs sounds great.
Old 5th February 2020
Quote:
Guitarists with neighbours
I surround my amp with pillows to nullify, somewhat, the objectionable repetitiveness of many takes. That and I don't bother turning the amp way up.
Old 7th February 2020
Here for the gear

Or maybe an amp head with a loadbox like Mesa Cab Clone would do the trick for someone who does not embrace digital systems in their circuits? EDIT: Ok, maybe not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGo9...=youtu.be&t=83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
When I switched to a Two Notes Torpedo Live I sold everything else. Just plug my amp right into that, silent recording, with the right IRs sounds great.
You don't mean u sold your amp too?
Old 11th February 2020
I like Amplitube Orange. The trick is to get into the room settings and disable the "Direct" signal. Why on earth the default is to hear half dirt / half clean is beyond me. Also the reverb is way too much. Lowering to 4% sounds like 25% on any other reverb. I prefer to turn it off. I also like Waves GTR 3, the Neil Citron amps. These are a lot easier to dial in than Amplitube.

Any of these I like to put through some saturation, the Waves V-Comp (Neve sim), and then add some convolution reverb in my Daw or the Waves H-verb.
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzero View Post
I like Amplitube Orange.(...) I also like Waves GTR 3, the Neil Citron amps. These are a lot easier to dial in than Amplitube.

Any of these I like to put through some saturation, the Waves V-Comp (Neve sim), and then add some convolution reverb in my Daw or the Waves H-verb.
I usein mainly the Oranges too. Never thought of waves plugins on guitar, ill try them!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search