The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tannoy Gold 5 - wow, what a steal!
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
Just putting my newly arrived Tannoy Gold 5s through their paces this afternoon. Running them from a Sound Devices Mixpre-3. Can't claim professional expertise or golden ears, but I'm happy. They are a serious step up from my old Fostex pm0.4n monitors (!), although I'm used to rather better hifi sound (B&W and Vivid). Plenty of bass for my small mixing room (I'm mixing acoustic music), and tighter on kicks and snares than I anticipated: at last I think I can mix without having to rely on headphones for bass! An excellent stereo image, though of course you'd expect that with dual concentrics. Worth giving them a listen at the very least.

Cheers,

Roland
Congrats! Yeap, what you hear is what I hear. I'm also surprised of how tight and well controlled are on the bass area. However, I came to the conclusion that it tends to compress a bit above 12k, and this is fairly obvious in edm type of music, but I can live with that. I'm curious of your thoughts about this, cheers!
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Congrats! Yeap, what you hear is what I hear. I'm also surprised of how tight and well controlled are on the bass area. However, I came to the conclusion that it tends to compress a bit above 12k, and this is fairly obvious in edm type of music, but I can live with that. I'm curious of your thoughts about this, cheers!
Very interested in these, any fresh thoughts?

Unfortunately can only buy them online because they aren't available in my country yet. Other option is much more expensive Neumann KH120 which should be better in theory, but if they hold up against ATCs...
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000 View Post
Very interested in these, any fresh thoughts?

Unfortunately can only buy them online because they aren't available in my country yet. Other option is much more expensive Neumann KH120 which should be better in theory, but if they hold up against ATCs...
Surprisingly...other than that feel of compression in the highs they actually do hold up against my ATC 20s and it definitely has to do with solid British engineering, even if we're talking about a product owned by Behringer and made in China. In fact, they have a much wider sweet-spot than the 20s, so that's a major plus, I find this extremely convenient as I can move around more without losing the image. Also, as previously stated they don't scream at you to fix things immediately, they simply shine and come to life if the mix is well done. Of course now, overall the ATC wins in detail, depth, dynamics, lack of any feeling of compression/distortion as they have a larger woofer, and of course their famous 0 compromise policy when comes to components and cutting costs, but for what they are the Tannoys are definitely a bargain.
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
OK several days in, despite listening out for it I can't say that I notice a compression-like sound in frequencies above (the very high) 12kHz mark. But I'm listening to acoustic music, not EDM (had to Google that!). They exhibit limitations that you would expect from the physics/design, materials and, related, cost (they aren't are a pair of Vivid Audio S12s...), but I remain happy that I can mix on them: the Gold 5s are remarkable value and offer the stereo imaging benefit of dual concentrics - the last being especially relevant for nearfield speakers.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve heard them. They are great reference speakers for the money, but unfortunately they are nowhere close to the Genelec 8030 or Neumann KH80. You get what you pay for and it is no exception in this case. They are interesting because they are coaxial, but Genelec so far is the only company that managed to solve equation hoe to produce a coaxial without disadvantages.
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I’ve heard them. They are great reference speakers for the money, but unfortunately they are nowhere close to the Genelec 8030 or Neumann KH80. You get what you pay for and it is no exception in this case. They are interesting because they are coaxial, but Genelec so far is the only company that managed to solve equation hoe to produce a coaxial without disadvantages.
Isn't IMD only a problem at high SPL levels? I have the 8s and can't say I hear much distortion but I don't really produce or mix at high volumes. I think with speakers you don't always get what you pay for, as opposed to other gear like instruments or analog outboard. THe NS10s for instance are cheap as hell and with a good ear you can mix commercial records on them pretty well, if you have the lower frequencies covered with headphones or second pairs of speakers. Mike Dean mixed Kanye's stuff on KrK's and NS10s in a hotel room during the 2010s
Old 22nd April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I’ve heard them. They are great reference speakers for the money, but unfortunately they are nowhere close to the Genelec 8030 or Neumann KH80. You get what you pay for and it is no exception in this case. They are interesting because they are coaxial.
Hey Jantex, appreciate your feedback! Did you hear them side by side? I narrowed my choices to Gold 5 and KH80 DSP. I can't try them out in my space unfortunately as they aren't available in my country. I remember reading your post about IK iLoud MTMs, how you preferred then to the KH80 DSP. I did hear those and was underwhelmed TBH. Same with Genelec 8030...I always preferred to use something like HS8.

KH 80 DSP are frontrunners currently, but I'm worried about the lack of low end. I'm in a small semi-treated room.

Quote:
Genelec so far is the only company that managed to solve equation hoe to produce a coaxial without disadvantages.
Geithain?

EDIT: Bit the bullet and ordered the KH 80 DSPs

Last edited by 6000; 23rd April 2020 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 9th June 2020
Here for the gear

Hi! How do you like kh 80? Are they only suitable for listening to music? I don’t know what to choose .. There is no way to listen
Can you advise something?
Hedd 05, Eve 204/205 (+ sub), Gold 5-8 (+ sub), adam T5-8V (+ sub), kh 80, APS Klasik 2020 or some thing else?
Thank you!
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
My rep was supposed to order them for me and has been a bit incognito since NAMM. Waiting to hear if they are on the way but haven’t had them show up yet.
Did you ever get your hands on the Gold 8's?
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
However, I came to the conclusion that it tends to compress a bit above 12k, and this is fairly obvious in edm type of music, but I can live with that.
I'm assuming the compression you're hearing at 12k is obvious in edm because of the fast transients. Does it also mess up recordings of acoustic piano? Or the sense of space between instruments in well produced recordings? Is it a deal breaker for someone producing electronic music?
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hi!, im searching a new pair of monitors to my home studio, nowadays I have a pair of focal alpha 80 and i would like to have another small pair that give me another reference for mixing, i'm between Tannoy Gold 5 and Adam t5v (i work from classical music to trap music), what do you guys think is the better option? my budget is 600 dollars maximum. Thanks.

Best regards, Daniel
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustcloud View Post
I'm assuming the compression you're hearing at 12k is obvious in edm because of the fast transients. Does it also mess up recordings of acoustic piano? Or the sense of space between instruments in well produced recordings? Is it a deal breaker for someone producing electronic music?
Indeed, it's a good explanation for what causes that sense of compression I get, specially in EDM music. For acoustic purposes this are brilliant, very relaxed, natural sounding, with a warm touch. Instrument placement is superb, top-notch.
You can absolutely use them for EDM production, no, not a deal breaker, in my opinion they are better suited for acoustic production, but again, very, very good all-around monitors for the given price tag, you simply can't go wrong for what you pay.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustcloud View Post
Did you ever get your hands on the Gold 8's?
They just showed up at the door two days ago without warning - which is both excellent and a bit of fortuitous timing as I’m redoing all the rooms at the moment and it will likely be a couple of months before I even take them out of the box...

But can confirm they are stateside and now shipping.
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreg54 View Post
Hi! How do you like kh 80? Are they only suitable for listening to music? I don’t know what to choose .. There is no way to listen
Can you advise something?
Hedd 05, Eve 204/205 (+ sub), Gold 5-8 (+ sub), adam T5-8V (+ sub), kh 80, APS Klasik 2020 or some thing else?
Thank you!
I've been mixing on kh80's for 8 months now. Not planning to switch to something else anytime soon. I'll maybe add the neumann sub some day, but they are definitely usable without one.

I haven't heard the coaxial speakers, but imaging is better than other non-coax speakers I've heard.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Tannoy Gold 7

Interesting discussions here. I wonder how the Gold 5 compares to another concentric design, Equator Audio D5.

I would also like to ask if anyone had a run in on the Tannoy Gold 7? Does it also suffer from compression at 12 kHz?

Best regards,
Tim
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for sharing!
After reading this I´m really close to order these Gold 5 to upgrade from my Genelec 1029s that I´m feeling lack a bit of detail on the highs. Btw, any comparison with these or thoughts about this would be really appreciated

Thanks, everyone!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkyo View Post
Thanks for sharing!
After reading this I´m really close to order these Gold 5 to upgrade from my Genelec 1029s that I´m feeling lack a bit of detail on the highs. Btw, any comparison with these or thoughts about this would be really appreciated

Thanks, everyone!
Buy them with confidence, it's incredible value for the money. In particular, I highly recommend them if you're involved in acoustic music production, as a personal opinion.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Buy them with confidence, it's incredible value for the money. In particular, I highly recommend them if you're involved in acoustic music production, as a personal opinion.
Top advice! Thanks again!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Have you been able to make up for the compression at 12 kHz with the HF Trim?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
Have you been able to make up for the compression at 12 kHz with the HF Trim?
I tried that right when I noticed this, it didn't work then, it doesn't work now. I set the HF trim on 0dB, I feel like I'm losing some of the higher mids if I trim it down. In the meantime I came to the conclusion that I was trying too hard to compare them against my ATC20, which are splendid in terms of low distortion, but...for a given price tag. With that being said, I don't get ear fatigue on the Golds, very reliable in long sessions, so while they do distort a bit on those 12khz and above frequencies, it's definitely not a deal-breaker, however people should listen with their own ears, for instance, I haven't noticed anyone but me speaking about this, so I may be too picky, to each their own, as they say.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With that being said, I don't get ear fatigue on the Golds, very reliable in long sessions, so while they do distort a bit on those 12khz and above frequencies, it's definitely not a deal-breaker, however people should listen with their own ears, for instance, I haven't noticed anyone but me speaking about this, so I may be too picky, to each their own, as they say.
Sounds like a good result for titanium tweeters, some people seem to complain about fatigue with those.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Sounds like a good result for titanium tweeters, some people seem to complain about fatigue with those.
It's exactly why I can tell they're reliable, cause they don't produce ear fatigue. Yes, the ATCs are even more calming for the ears, but nothing major. This model is really well designed, Tannoy should really charge at least double the money for what they're being currently sold. Also, as personal opinion, don't understand why they didn't invest in a marketing campaign, this is a product worth talking about. I agree, it's not perfect, but I don't see how you can get more from $600-$700.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's exactly why I can tell they're reliable, cause they don't produce ear fatigue. Yes, the ATCs are even more calming for the ears, but nothing major. This model is really well designed, Tannoy should really charge at least double the money for what they're being currently sold. Also, as personal opinion, don't understand why they didn't invest in a marketing campaign, this is a product worth talking about. I agree, it's not perfect, but I don't see how you can get more from $600-$700.
Titanium tweeters are a rare choice now, seems like a majority of monitors are soft ones. I like titanium tweeters, they do seem more detailed but I can hear what the detractors might not like. More easily damaged too, I've seen a few Yamaha MSPs with the tweeter poked in. I suppose in a concentric the tweeter is more out of harm's way.
📝 Reply