The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Budget OverHeads For Glyn Johns Drum Technique?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
i forgot another option that would be a good affordable mic to have in a starting collection.

the cascade x15 stereo ribbon.

i've seen them for around 350 used.

they actually sound pretty good and take eq fairly well.

i had one for awhile and used it for drum overheads quite often.

just another idea for you.

if you end up getting a pair of condensers later, you can use the x15 as a great sounding, easy to place room mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Hmmm...
Maybe you're right:
When the OP said: "around $185 or more if i cant find something that affordable", I was thinking in terms of "price per microphone" (so around $550 for the set of three).

I thought one could still buy a couple of used '201s and an m88 for around 200 bucks apiece.

Has this changed?
You could be right. I hadn't considered the $185 as a number per mic, I interpreted it as a whole.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
You could be right. I hadn't considered the $185 as a number per mic, I interpreted it as a whole.
It also just dawned upon me that the OP seems to only be asking for suggestions for the "overhead pair"...

...So that would mean either a budget of "under $200 for the pair" or "under $200 apiece".

That's quite a difference (especially in this price range).

Maybe the OP could chime back in with some clarification on the "budget issues" here?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
It also just dawned upon me that the OP seems to only be asking for suggestions for the "overhead pair"...

...So that would mean either a budget of "under $200 for the pair" or "under $200 apiece".

That's quite a difference (especially in this price range).

Maybe the OP could chime back in with some clarification on the "budget issues" here?
Hopefully, they've been busy making music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson McWayne View Post
Like i said in another reply I should have listed more of my situation! Lol. Sorry. My budget is around $185 as im to young for a job. Trust me im trying. And also. Im doing alt rock stuff. (Nirvana, Alice in chains) and also. Ill see about the snare mic thing. Ill try some experimenting.
The drums sounds on Nirvana and Alice in Chains albums were not made using Glyn Johns drum mic techniques. Even if there were one or two tracks done that way (and I would be very surprised to hear about that), almost all of the most famous tracks by each of these bands featured stereo overheads, separate mics for kick, snare, toms, room mics, and anything else. Not to mention the rooms themselves.

The AIC drum sound for Facelift and Dirt is an expensive one (3x U87s as room mics), ditto the drums on Nevermind and In Utero. The drum sound on Bleach is less complex and made with fewer mics but if I'm not mistaken they used AKG 414s on the overheads, and MD421s on toms. Any one of these mics would be over your budget.

Regarding the purchasing of mics, the recommendation of Oktava mk012s is good - they're sturdy, cheap, easy to position, sound good on drums. Consider waiting and saving a bit of money to get these mics as anything cheaper in the SDC/LDC format will likely not last you very long quality-wise.

Back when I started messing with recording on cassette 4-track and digital 8-track, I had these cheapo (£35 each) plastic battery-powered YOGA condensor mics for overheads. They were noisy and didn't sound great, but they were useful for making demos at least. You can get a lot better for that price though.

For a really budget option that might work well for you, and that I would not have any qualms about suggesting - try boundary mics. You see a lot of these going second hand for very reasonable prices. Audio Technica has a few of these that are mainly used for Audio/Video Conferencing in corporate and business installations so you have to be careful about the SPL levels they can take, but the AT871 (unidirectional) and the AT841 (omni) are cool mics and fairly cheap secondhand. You do have to buy mini-xlr cables rather than standard XLRs, but altogether you should be able to get a pair of these mics for $80 or less, which could work until you can save for a better set of condensors. They have holes in the back to hang them on ceilings and walls if you're able to put a few screws into those surfaces.

That's my recommendation. Otherwise, wait a bit and save. Do chores, mow lawns, wash cars, any odd jobs to boost the budget a bit. It will be worth it. $185 is really pushing it for TWO separate mics, but you could buy one fairly nice LDC for that price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

a pair of sm57s. or if budget go for classic budget small condesnor mxl. i like my akg c2000bs
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If it's 185 a pair these are pretty good for a budget pair. I was really surprised by them.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterlin...00000224024.gc
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I found myself in a similar situation not so long ago and bought a pair of Rode M5s for $170 Australian. Perhaps AUD prices are a little better for Rode gear?

Used them as a crossed pair overheads and was happy with the sound, although probably better for cymbal detail than bottom end (Made my drummer's ride sound lovely). Have also used them for acoustic guitar with pleasing results.

I am fairly new to recording drums, so would be interested in other's comments about the M5s
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy View Post
I found myself in a similar situation not so long ago and bought a pair of Rode M5s for $170 Australian. Perhaps AUD prices are a little better for Rode gear?

Used them as a crossed pair overheads and was happy with the sound, although probably better for cymbal detail than bottom end (Made my drummer's ride sound lovely). Have also used them for acoustic guitar with pleasing results.

I am fairly new to recording drums, so would be interested in other's comments about the M5s
I have a pair of M5s and Lewitt LCT 040 MATCHs - about the same price, I love the M5s on Toms and hand percussion - but they're noisy and not particularly flat - the Lewitts blow them away for 90% of duties to be honest - they even work better than they should as a vocal mic!

The M5s were great when there was no SDC competition in the same price range - now there is, they need to half the price!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Dawson- we played around with a bunch of mics and threw up a pair of Art AR5 ribbons (179$ Canadian EACH) as GJ overheads last week just to see what would happen. We loved the sound and ended up keeping them up for a few drum tracks. Dark sound in a well treated room gave great kit punch and thickness and really controlled the cymbals. Retro sound with great kit blend.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Not sure if the OP is still checking in here, but I can think of two options actually in budget.
With a .75" capsule, so maybe more medium diaphragm than SDC, the Sterling Audio SL230MP (around $150/pair) is/are surprisingly nice. Bass rolloff and pad, end address.
For $89 each, the Neat microphones Worker Bee (also medium diaphragm) are really nice and even. No presence peak, little proximity effect, just nice & clear sounding. (For $10 more each, the Neat King Bee is large diaphragm with transformer, so it's a bit beefier sounding and also has a slight rise in the highs. So, a bit "larger than life" sounding, but less than ideal off-axis response, so having a good room is more important, especially for drum overheads.) Both these mics are way better than the price suggests, and originally cost a lot more. No pads or rolloffs or anything like that, and the shock mounts are weird, but not deal-breakers. I think the company (owned by Gibson, run by ex-BLUE mics execs and designers) is shut down now, but you can find the mics on Amazon still, at the discount price.
Check out reviews for both.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
the oktava mc012 condensers are great too and i've seen those used for maybe 300 a pair. they are fantastic mics that will serve you well for years.

i've had a pair for over 20 years now and still use them.
MC012's were my first decent condenser mics 15-20 years ago. Still use them on most recordings even though I also have pairs of Neumann KM86's, Sennheiser MKH40's, Royer and Beyer ribbons etc.

I did buy a third MC012 about 7 years ago and it crapped out. Something came loose and it needs to be repaired. The two older ones are still good though. Not sure it's worth repairing or just buy a new body.

They are hard to beat for a first pair of affordable good mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search