The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL LSR-305 behaviour over time?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

JBL LSR-305 behaviour over time?

Ready to pull the plug on the 305 MKII, but I'm curious how do they stand the test of time? How do they age, any weird, funny hisses, clicks and other audio artifacts after x amount of days-months-years? How do they age? Are they reliable for 10hours/day mixing or they fall apart too quickly and need repairs/replacement?

Your thoughts please, if you happen to be the lucky owner of this cute babies.

,Andrei
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Can't say how they age really because they have not been out long.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Power handling on the tweeter is much better than on the mk I but you can still overheat one side with a hardish panning and cook the stereo image for a bit while it cools. Otherwise, it’s decent and translates.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
I've had my 305P MKII since they were released, I still love them. No problems, no repairs needed, no desire to replace them. But they're my first studio monitors, so I can't compare them to others.

The two nitpicks: there's a very mild hiss that took 2-4 weeks to kick in on mine. It doesn't get in the way, but I compared the hiss in a store and the Yamahas were quieter than the JBLs. (The Presonus Eris in that store had really bad hiss - I would dodge those!)

The other glitch is that the shrinkwrap black coating they put on the speaker case has curled a tiny bit at the very top corners where it attaches to the front of the speaker. Doesn't affect the sound, purely aesthetic. I got mine over a year ago so maybe they've fixed that in later builds.

I wasn't sure if I'd like the shiny black plastic front, but I love it, and it feels like something out of Batman. It's still glossy & immaculate a year later. Matches well with the obligatory Aeron chair.

Getting Sonarworks Reference has helped a bit. The JBLs in my (untreated) room have a roughly +3dB curve between 100-350Hz and a -3dB curve from 350-1kHz. Turning on Sonarworks makes things sound more bland, boxy & flat (it seems to neutralize the gorgeous 3D sound from the JBL's waveguide), but Sonarworks does seem to help me hear the midrange better.

Still love my JBL 305 MkII and I'm jealous of people who get to buy them now. They're selling for 20% - 30% cheaper than what I paid for mine!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Good news, so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder View Post

Still love my JBL 305 MkII and I'm jealous of people who get to buy them now. They're selling for 20% - 30% cheaper than what I paid for mine!
Yeah, it's fairly tempting to get mine, since this were praised for quite some time now.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I can't speak to the MKII - I have the original LSR305. 5 years (almost 6). No complaints. If I had to make a choice today I would seriously consider the LP6 from Kali for a number of reasons, first being the front port for bass...

Zero complaints. Only hiss I can get is if I turn speakers to 10, and maximum volume from interface - the hiss registers about -40 dB on my SPL meter.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I've had LSR308's since they came out. No problems and still working great. I suspect the same electronics just a 8" instead of 5" speaker.

If they died I would buy them again
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Sadly, I came to the conclusion that I can't make it work on my setting, as they have to be fairly close to the wall (like 7''-8''). Being rear-ported this could mean trouble. Man... I may have to look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
If I had to make a choice today I would seriously consider the LP6 from Kali for a number of reasons, first being the front port for bass...
I read mixed reviews about the Kali6, some where complaining from missing information between 60Hz-120Hz.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Sadly, I came to the conclusion that I can't make it work on my setting, as they have to be fairly close to the wall (like 7''-8''). Being rear-ported this could mean trouble. Man... I may have to look elsewhere.

I read mixed reviews about the Kali6, some where complaining from missing information between 60Hz-120Hz.
If you're hearing too much bass, your mixes will end up weak. One of the reasons why NS-10M work well for people, I reckon.

I rather have either a perfectly flat bass response, which is impossible, or slightly less bass.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post

The JBL 305 are fine close to a wall. Just eq the bass down and don’t push them right up next to it. It’s much better than a bad front port contaminating the midrange like the JBL 705
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I have the original lsr305. Very good and accurate. Also can get very loud with no distortion.

Only thing I would say is they slightly lack bass
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Yes I also own the original lsr305. Very clean sound. Only thing I find is it slightly lacks bass? Have you found that to be the case aswell? Also, are you using the lp6 has better bass and would be an upgrade?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I bought the LSR308's because I was having problems with bass on mixes with old monitors. I wanted the LSR305's for size but I had trouble with Samson Resolv 6.5 monitors so I went with 308's. I nail the low end/bass on my mixes/mastering the first time on most.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMan19 View Post
I have the original lsr305. Very good and accurate. Also can get very loud with no distortion.

Only thing I would say is they slightly lack bass
I had to push them against the wall to get more bass. Maybe 2 inches away. Experiment with placement.

Mixing with less bass is better, actually. You tend to add more that way.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Because of the rear-port issue I didn't want to gamble, so I ordered a pair of the Tannoy Gold 5. It would've been around $75 just to send them back if anything, so instead I added that amount to buy the Gold 5. Seems reasonable, at least in theory.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search