The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
unflattering unhyped headphones reccomendations?
Old 11th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
i'd rather suck a bag of dicks myself though. a truckload actually. aka a ****ton.
Awesome!
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

i have hd650ies so no need.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear
Taking the “slutz” part of the forum title too seriously is probably a mistake.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
yes and i replied appropriately. did you not like my answer?
Has nothing to do with liking it. I said you're right and you went "if you think about it you know i'm right" - and your additional comments also cause me to still think you didn't read my initial reply. Probably no point continuing.
Old 11th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
Sony 7506s.
I believe I heard they were engineered orig. for radio/vocal stuff anyway and it seems like they are not very "musical".
I love the Sony 7506. Far superior to the Sennheiser HD280 which exhibited way more bottom end than necessary for my taste.

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 11th January 2020 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: OCD
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Head

I'm just using my car as a reference, because for decades I have been getting mixes that sound great at home, but when heard on REAL-WORLD equipment are completely different.

I tend to mix at the end of the night after I have been working on a project, then listen back in my car on the way to work. Then maybe on computer speakers at work. Then maybe earbuds.

The Samson phones are the first ones I have had where I bring the mix into real-world environments and don't get any nasty surprises.

My recording monitors are Adam A7s, for comparison. They are flat and great, but nothing I mix on them sounds anything like it does out of the room. I have learned over the years how to mix on them so it sounds good elsewhere, but it's not a 1:1 thing.

Mixing so something sounds good on your monitors but like ass everywhere else is useless, unless you distribute the monitors with your music
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by in media res View Post
Also curious about Grado’s...
Been happy with their cartridges for vinyl listening - never used their headphones.
Grado Headphones are very good, but they are open back making them unsuitable for recording sessions with microphones. I don't have any upper end ones but the 60's and 80's (bottom of the line) are both over 10 years old and working great through two sets of ear cushions. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580's that sound more neutral but are less comfortable than the Grados. I use the HD580's for mixing as I would say the Grado's are flattering and not flat.The HD580's are also open back. On 2nd though the Grado's are probably in the upper 3% of neutral headphones, and they are great for all day listening.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut
Review of Oneodio Studio 50's

For Recording I use Oneodio Studio 50's. I have low end closed back Tascam and Sennheiser but they don't make a good enough seal around my ear, so I hear to much acoustic noise. The Studio 50's make an excellent seal, almost as good as iem's I used before getting these. The sound is pretty good, it lets me know how my singing and plunking is, and I think it sounds like me. I use open back Sennheisers (old HD-580) for mixing as they match my monitors pretty well.

The only thing I hate about the Oneodio's is the absurd mechanical contraption that allows them to be folded into a contortionists squash for easy transport. It is a PITA to open it up and it does not hold the open shape when you put them down, even if you drape them over a mic stand. I'm pretty mechanically adept but I've had these for 2 months and still keep trying to turn the earpieces the wrong way when opening them. In addition, they failed to designate the right ear from the left ear anyplace on the headphone. Since it has a 1/4" jack on left earpiece and a 1/8" jack on the right I guess that is OK, but heck I had to figure it out, sheesh. You can daisy chain another headphone through this one through the jacks and can reverse the cable to adapt from 1/4 to 1/8. One of the provided cables is the stretch kind that can make all sorts of Brazilian percussion noises when dragged against any solid surface.

I like them because they isolate well and they were cheap. Maybe I'll superglue them in the open position!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Dude View Post
Mixing so something sounds good on your monitors but like ass everywhere else is useless, unless you distribute the monitors with your music
Or your “release strategy” should be to NOT release any music, but to sell tickets so people can come to your studio and be amazed by your mixes.
Makes me think, “Yeah, that’s the ticket!”
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
or your “release strategy” should be to not release any music, but to sell tickets so people can come to your studio and be amazed by your mixes.
Makes me think, “yeah, that’s the ticket!”
i do not want all of those people in my living room.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
i do not want all of those people in my living room.
C’mon, Dude, it could make some real money... call it “ear bnb”.
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lusk View Post
Yeah, just buy a new pair on Amazon.

I've used AKG K44's for years and love how brutally honest they are. No hype, just flat and unflattering.
I am currently offering, for free, a used pair Of AKG K44's in the More free stuff....let's do it again! thread.

You all should check that thread every now and again - and maybe participate if that's what your feeling...

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I Used every goddamned thing from Sennheisers to Tascams to AKGs for 20 years...and the ones I have now, $40 samson sr850s, are the only ones I have had that I can mix on, then play it in the car (or pretty much anywhere) and it sounds like what I heard on the phones.

I actually have another pair sitting in a box in case they wise up and quit selling them so cheap.
Thanks for sharing this recommendation. I got a pair of SR850s this week as they were so cheap I got curious.

I am still getting used to them but so far am really impressed. They have a width of image I was not expecting, very clear detail in the upper mid and high end without being harsh, impressively good mid clarity, and a good amount of bass.

As I say, I am still getting used to them and am not yet able to give much of an objective opinion on them, but aside from the many positives (which for the price are spectacular) there is something about the bass response that seems weird to me. Not sure what it is exactly other than the kick and bass on reference tracks seem a bit like they are 'bigger' than normal. Not in a hyped or extreme eq kind of way, just more about in proportion to the relative size of other parts in the mix.
I haven't yet tried mixing or any music making with these, but I wonder if I will need to keep an eye on the low end to make sure I am not mixing bass-light. Then again it could be that I am used to relying on an avantone mixture, and my current room is awful and not helping with my other monitors.

Still, these seem like really useful headphones and I am looking forward to breaking them in some more with some good music. I may well buy another pair.

Last edited by Gideon K; 4 weeks ago at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Info
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just bought some.

Ready for L.A. Dude silent dance party with Samson SR850.
Old 3 weeks ago
The Samsons are really good headphones in my opinion, having listened to them and used them solidly for the last week or so.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search