The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clarett or scarlett ?
Old 9th December 2019
Here for the gear
Clarett or scarlett ?

Hi
I am in doubt whether I should buy the focusrite scarlett 2i3 3rd gen focusrite clarett 2pre usb
I don't really care about the pre-amps and the differences in latency are negligible.
But for me it's about the quality of DA converter. The quality of the monitoring.
I once had a scarlet first generation and I immediately sent it back due to poor monitoring.
We are now at the 3 generation of the scarlet and my question is whether this has improved or should I purchase the claret for this purpose

What is wisdom?

Thanks
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by werners22 View Post
Hi
I am in doubt whether I should buy the focusrite scarlett 2i3 3rd gen focusrite clarett 2pre usb
I don't really care about the pre-amps and the differences in latency are negligible.
But for me it's about the quality of DA converter. The quality of the monitoring.
I once had a scarlet first generation and I immediately sent it back due to poor monitoring.
We are now at the 3 generation of the scarlet and my question is whether this has improved or should I purchase the claret for this purpose

What is wisdom?

Thanks
I’d get claret thunderbolt if you wanted good monitoring
Old 10th December 2019
Here for the gear
there is not really a difference in terms of latency between usb and thunderbolt
I just wonder if the clarett has better converters and if that DA can also be heard regarding monitoring

unfortunately I am stuck with usb
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
there is not really a difference in terms of latency between usb and thunderbolt
I just wonder if the clarett has better converters and if that DA can also be heard regarding monitoring

unfortunately I am stuck with usb
Thunderbolt is much faster than usb. I don’t have much of an issue with my 18i20 on usb it’s fast. But the Claret does sound better to me
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiplex View Post
Thunderbolt is much faster than usb. I don’t have much of an issue with my 18i20 on usb it’s fast. But the Claret does sound better to me
I don't think you guys are talking about the same thing.
Werners wants a great sound (image, clarity...) coming out of his speakers/monitors

I've the feeling you're talking about live monitoring for the recording musicians?
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tammer View Post
I don't think you guys are talking about the same thing.
Werners wants a great sound (image, clarity...) coming out of his speakers/monitors

I've the feeling you're talking about live monitoring for the recording musicians?
Well if he sent the scarlet back then he should get a claret
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Why limit yourself to Focusrite? In that price range I'd also check out the new MOTU M4 or Roland Rubix 24 and maybe Steinberg UR22C . Do you have any stores nearby where you can try them out?
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well if he sent the scarlet back then he should get a claret
Well he sent the scarlett gen 1 back
He's wondering if the D/A conversion for monitors/speakers is improved with scarlett gen3, or if he should go with Clarett, or even if Clarett D/A is good enough as well.
The only one that I'm used to is my friends's Scarlett gen 1... which I don't find that bad conversion wise. And I'm used to the best D/A with my Metric Halo ULN8 3D.
Of course it's really not in the same league, but I can mix with the Scarlett...in fact I did..I mixed his whole album (I had two sets of speakers)
I wouldn't base a mastering room around it...but for the money it's what you get.
At work we use the Lynx Aurora as D/A and that's also very good, but the real difference is more about the control room's acoustics and the rest of the monitoring chain
I would maybe look at Apogee's offering (Duet/Quartet)
Or even Audient's ID22/44 for a lower budget.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well he sent the scarlett gen 1 back
He's wondering if the D/A conversion for monitors/speakers is improved with scarlett gen3, or if he should go with Clarett, or even if Clarett D/A is good enough as well.
The only one that I'm used to is my friends's Scarlett gen 1... which I don't find that bad conversion wise. And I'm used to the best D/A with my Metric Halo ULN8 3D.
Of course it's really not in the same league, but I can mix with the Scarlett...in fact I did..I mixed his whole album (I had two sets of speakers)
I wouldn't base a mastering room around it...but for the money it's what you get.
At work we use the Lynx Aurora as D/A and that's also very good, but the real difference is more about the control room's acoustics and the rest of the monitoring chain (Bryston+Proac...)
I would maybe look at Apogee's offering (Duet/Quartet)
Or even Audient's ID22/44 for a lower budget.
I have a 18i20 and I did a song with a client that tracked on the Clarett 8 pre. The 8 pre is much better to my ears but I couldn’t afford it at the time so I got my Scarlett.
But spec wise it’s just a tad bit cleaner and by the time you factor in mix it’s apples and oranges.

If da ad conversion is the concern then you need to get an Apollo x end of discussion.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have a 18i20 and I did a song with a client that tracked on the Clarett 8 pre. The 8 pre is much better to my ears but I couldn’t afford it at the time so I got my Scarlett.
But spec wise it’s just a tad bit cleaner and by the time you factor in mix it’s apples and oranges.

If da ad conversion is the concern then you need to get an Apollo x end of discussion.
He said he just needs good DA conversion, doesn't care about the pres
Apollo doesn't actually have the best DA (or AD) it's ok..but not best.
Apollo is great because it's solid/reliable and of course the UAD environment.
For great DA, Apogee, Metric Halo, Prism is where it's at. but that's all very expensive..apart from the Duet. And if he's limited at 300/500 Audient is the way to go.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
He said he just needs good DA conversion (doesn't care about the pres) so he's probably mixing EDM.
Apollo doesn't actually have the best DA (or AD) it's ok..but not best.
Apollo is great because it's solid/reliable and of course the UAD environment.
For great DA, Apogee, Metric Halo, Prism is where it's at. but that's all very expensive..apart from the Duet. And if he's limited at 300/500 Audient is the way to go.
The highest da ad specs are in the new Apollo x line. All that other stuff is dated and old
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
The highest da ad specs are in the new Apollo x line. All that other stuff is dated and old
Specs don't tell that much about conversion quality...extra dynamic range above 115/120dB is useless.
The differences in fidelity are also about the analog path design around the chips. That stuff doesn't appear in specs, and old tech/new tech is not always the most important factor.
I've been working as freelance engineer/producer for years and I can tell you I haven't seen any UA Apollo (x or not) interfaces /converters in big facilities.
Avid I/O, Prism, Lynx, Apogee are the most common.
You'd be surprised that some big name studios have pretty old ADDA converters...
Less common but found too Crane Song, Lavry, Burl, Metric Halo...
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Specs don't tell that much about conversion quality...extra dynamic range above 115/120dB is useless. THD is extremely low at that level.
The differences in sound are more about the analog path design around the chips. That stuff doesn't appear in specs, and old tech/new tech is not a crucial factor.
I've been working as freelance engineer/producer for years and I can tell you I haven't seen any UA Apollo (x or not) interfaces /converters in big facilities.
Avid I/O, Prism, Lynx, Apogee are the most common.
You'd be surprised that big name studios have pretty old ADDA conversions...METROPOLIS in London have Prism ADA8 (almost 20 years old)
Less common but found too Crane Song, Lavry, Burl, Metric Halo...
I could probably surf the web on an Atari st too but that wouldn’t be my choice.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I could probably surf the web on an Atari st too but that wouldn’t be my choice.
I think major studios have the choice...They make enough money to buy an Apollo interface every day if they needed it.

Obviously if you compare Prism, Lynx, Apogee, Crane Song, Lavry...Burl to an ATARI st...and if you think Apollo converters are the best on earth ... you must not know that much about digital audio and audio tech in general.

Anyway in the OP's case I think the Audient with its Burr Brown converters is probably the best choice under $500 for a decent DA conversion/Monitor out
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think major studios have the choice...They make enough money to buy an Apollo interface every day if they needed it.

Obviously if you compare Prism, Lynx, Apogee, Crane Song, Lavry...Burl to an ATARI st...and if you think Apollo converters are the best on earth ... you must not know that much about digital audio and audio tech in general.

Anyway in the OP's case I think the Audient with its Burr Brown converters is probably the best choice under $500 for a decent DA conversion/Monitor out
No you said technology/specs do not matter. Much like computer technology has advanced so has converter technology and latency. I’d not look at say a duet which may sound great but has high latency over a newer interface which has higher dynamic range and also lower latency. Modern interfaces with the ess chipset just out perform those old devices hands down.
Old 10th December 2019
Here for the gear
I had an audient id 22
but no more audient for me
coolelement came loose and that was the end after 2 years
Unfortunately
Old 10th December 2019
Here for the gear
Motu 2 certainly in consideration

thanks
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Motu 2 certainly in consideration

thanks
The new MOTU units aren’t that much and have the ess chips too. I forgot about that. I’d check em out. Much better than the Audient lol
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I had an audient id 22
but no more audient for me
coolelement came loose and that was the end after 2 years
Unfortunately
That's not good. But that explains why you dislike the Scarlett's monitor out as you've been used to a good quality monitor section with the AD22. Hard to beat in that price range sound wise.
You could try the RME Babyface pro, (a bit more $) but like anything made by RME it's rock solid for both mac/win.
Also they'll give you support/drivers update until next century
The Digiface and Fireface (released in 2001 and 2003) still receive driver updates and are Catalina compatible!
Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear
And the winner is ......

the Motu M2
If I remember correctly, it sounds much better than the Audient id 22
Tnx
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
And the winner is ......

the Motu M2
If I remember correctly, it sounds much better than the Audient id 22
Tnx
Audient is worse than Adat specs lol
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Audient is worse than Adat specs lol
What does that even mean? Adat is a transfer protocol invented by Alesis.
it doesn't have any "specs"
(especially with s-mux you can go up to 192khz)
It's like saying spdif sounds better than than dante
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Does that even mean anything? Adat is a transfer protocol invented by Alesis.
it doesn't have any "specs"
It's like saying Spdif sounds better than than dante
No you don’t know anything my short bus riding buddy.
The Alesis Adat was a 8 track modular digital recording machine from the 90s. It used svhs tapes.
My point was that the specs on the audient are low
Barely cd quality
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
No you don’t know anything my short bus riding buddy.
The Alesis Adat was a 8 track modular digital recording machine from the 90s. It used svhs tapes.
My point was that the specs on the audient is is low
Barely cd quality
Audient conversion barely CD quality? Wow..some people are not scared of sounding ridiculous
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Audient conversion barely CD quality? Wow..some people are not scared of sounding ridiculous
You obviously didn’t read the specs on the Audient.
Nor do you know your recording history. I’m not surprised.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Really... what are the specs for Audient then?
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Come on... You're so sure it's that bad (the specs).... you must know them by heart, no? Prove me it's lower than CD quality!
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Come on... You're so sure it's that bad (the specs).... you must know them by heart, no? Prove me it's lower than CD quality!
Google it yourself and research it.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Google it yourself and research it.
Old 12th December 2019
The preamps in the Clarett line are much better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search