The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which mic arm do you recommend?
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Which mic arm do you recommend?

Looking at Amazon, Rode and Auray is $100 and Samson is $50 an then there are some that are $20.
Old 7th December 2019
Get something higher quality than the normal cheap Chinese crap. Those $20 Neewer (and similar brand) arms are absolute garbage, they're really thin "mystery metal" and resonate like crazy.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Which one do you use?
Old 7th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griw View Post
Which one do you use?
I just have one of the cheap ones which never sees any use, which is how I know it's a bad one. I use Pyle Pro PMKS56s as my stands, but any similar solid metal stand with a sturdy base would be good. They're something like $40 USD. But they're one of the better stands I've used.

The boom arm just came as part of a cheap mic set. I wouldn't put anything other than a small diaphragm condenser on it if I were going to use it (which I wouldn't because of the crazy resonance, don't know if it's the ****ty metal the whole thing is made of, or if it's the springs vibrating, but I know I'm not the only one with the issue, this goes for the cheap $20ish Neewer one with the springs on it).
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I found the mic you mentioned: https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PMKS56

Do you use it by putting it beside your desk? I'm thinking a boom arm might be more convenient to use when using the computer to record?
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found the mic you mentioned: https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PMKS56

Do you use it by putting it beside your desk? I'm thinking a boom arm might be more convenient to use when using the computer to record?
I use a mic in a shockmount mounted on a boom arm like that next to a desk. All the mic stands I have have a heavy iron base. I'm not sure how stable a stand with tripod type legs would be.
Get something of decent build quality that won't fall over or have parts that loosen up and allow the mic to drop. I've had mine so long at this point I wouldn't know what to suggest.
A stand with a boom arm has the advantage over a desk mount that you can move it around to other locations in a room if needed.
Old 10th December 2019
It'll work just fine by a desk if you have the space for it. The boom on it actually extends quite far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
I use a mic in a shockmount mounted on a boom arm like that next to a desk. All the mic stands I have have a heavy iron base. I'm not sure how stable a stand with tripod type legs would be.
Get something of decent build quality that won't fall over or have parts that loosen up and allow the mic to drop. I've had mine so long at this point I wouldn't know what to suggest.
A stand with a boom arm has the advantage over a desk mount that you can move it around to other locations in a room if needed.
Those ones won't fall over unless someone bumps them pretty hard. The legs on the base are super sturdy and have supports.
Old 11th December 2019
I bought a cheap one and within a couple uses I started sticking foam in the springs to stop the spring ringing then it soon started drooping so I had the tape out.
It was cheap in every way. lol

Innogear....the pop filter and foam ball is ok..all for .$19.99

It worked ok until I put the mic on it (MXL BCD-1)
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear
What kind/brand/model of mic? I would have different advice for a Shure 58 than for a Warm 47 (which is a heavy, bulky beast).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
what kind/brand/model of mic? I would have different advice for a shure 58 than for a warm 47 (which is a heavy, bulky beast).

cad m179.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
It'll work just fine by a desk if you have the space for it. The boom on it actually extends quite far.
Does it have as good of an angle range compared to one that clamps onto the desk?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The CAD 179 weighs about 1.7 pounds with the shockmount. That’s a load.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Does it have as good of an angle range compared to one that clamps onto the desk?
A lot better. The ones that mount on a desk can only pull out towards you or above you. A proper stand gives you a lot more options.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

M179 mounted on boom arm next to my desk (normally use a dynamic handheld mounted here, but for you I mounted up an M179 in a Rycote shock ). I can position it most anywhere needed, distance out (left/right), height, close or far.
Attached Thumbnails
Which mic arm do you recommend?-cad-arm-v2.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
M179 mounted on boom arm next to my desk (normally use a dynamic handheld mounted here, but for you I mounted up an M179 in a Rycote shock ). I can position it most anywhere needed, distance out (left/right), height, close or far.
Can’t see enough to know if you have a heavy base on that stand or a counterweight on the boom. The stand is leaning toward the mic. Is the stand leaning against the table?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Can’t see enough to know if you have a heavy base on that stand or a counterweight on the boom. The stand is leaning toward the mic. Is the stand leaning against the table?
Iron base and no counterweight. The stand is standing straight and not leaning against the table (I did check that when I mounted the mic, so there was no 'cheating' in the example ). I think the angle of the shot, cameras focal length, and closeness to the stand and monitor give the appearance of leaning. While the M179 has some heft to it, I have a few heavier mics that don't have a problem on similar stands, just need to take care on how far to extend the boom. I do think about getting a set of counterweights occasionally which could be handy at times .
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What brand is that boom arm?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Maybe consider something like this:

OcWhite.com - Broadcast Arms
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

See latest accessories Here
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar12 View Post
See latest accessories Here
I'd always wondered what the same kinda people that got suckered into Amway were into these days.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Maybe consider something like this:

OcWhite.com - Broadcast Arms
I looked at the link and it seems a bit expensive at $140 for lowest priced ones and more than $200 for others.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
I looked at the link and it seems a bit expensive at $140 for lowest priced ones and more than $200 for others.
Of course you are quite right in saying that these booms are not exactly "cheap"!

...But in my experience they're reasonably priced in the market, and usually work out a whole lot better than most of the other choices for the situations you've described:

Its really nice to be able to just move your mic around at will (without the possibility of it falling over, snagging a cable, etc.).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What brand is that boom arm?
Not a clue and no name on it. Bought it many, many years ago and probably was a used purchase.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Of course you are quite right in saying that these booms are not exactly "cheap"!

...But in my experience they're reasonably priced in the market, and usually work out a whole lot better than most of the other choices for the situations you've described:

Its really nice to be able to just move your mic around at will (without the possibility of it falling over, snagging a cable, etc.).
So would you say that the items in the link are better than the Pyle one that someone mentioned?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
So would you say that the items in the link are better than the Pyle one that someone mentioned?
Better?

...Well, they do have advantages:

They don't take up much space.

They are screwed down to the table (so they won't tip).

The cable runs right through the boom (so its neater).

Its spring-loaded, so it can be randomly moved about (even in the middle of a take, if you wish).

There are also (of course) disadvantages, but for the use stipulated in the OP I would think this sorta design would be a good choice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

No cheap but the Yellowtec arms are some of the best. Buy once and be done.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OC WHite is the only one to get. it will last forever. Works great. Solid, and will support any mic you want to mount on it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpro View Post
No cheap but the Yellowtec arms are some of the best. Buy once and be done.
Those are indeed some fine products.

The only thing missing from their menu is some sort of "riser" for their excellent booms.
(To me, that "riser" makes a huge difference in keeping the damn thing outta the way.)
Here's what I'm talkin' about:
Attached Thumbnails
Which mic arm do you recommend?-riser.png  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search