The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode K2 vs Neumann TLM-102 vs Apogee Edge Solo
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Rode K2 vs Neumann TLM-102 vs Antelope Edge Solo

Hi everybody, I'm looking for your advices cause I've been thinking a lot lately and still can't decide which mic should I buy! I'm limited at budget and I can afford only one of those three! So mostly I'll be recording rock ballads (soft vocals), hard rock songs (loud vocals) and pop songs! So I know for loud vocals I should go with Shure SM7B but I need to think about pop songs, and soft ballads too, so I came to three options: Rode K2 vs Neumann TLM-102 vs Antelope Edge Solo. Hope someone have tried three of them and can help me decide with which one should I go!
From sounds that I heard online K2 was my fav, than Edge Solo and the last TLM-102!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Your three mics seem like very random choices, but I’ll give you feedback on them.
The K2 is a tube mic, but it does not have any obvious tube character. It is a fairly neutral sounding mic with a full variety of patterns. It is quiet for a tube mic and is almost impossible to overload with level. A good citizen with no bad habits.
The TLM is an inexpensive Neumann, which means it is still expensive for what it actually does. I have only heard the 102 a couple of times. I didn’t love it enough to want to buy one. It doesn’t sound a bit like any classic Neumann. I would not buy one for myself.
The Edge Solo is an interesting choice. I would guess that a modeling mic would be very neutral. However, Antelope does not have much of a history or reputation regarding mics, so I would pass on this mic unless I heard one and loved it.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank You very much for the reply, and sorry for "Apogee Edge Solo" i meant "Antelope Edge Solo"
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorent View Post
Thank You very much for the reply, and sorry for "Apogee Edge Solo" i meant "Antelope Edge Solo"
My answer is transferable to Antelope. Antelope also has no significant history in microphones. I’m sure they picked a decent, neutral mic to use for their mic modeling project. So have Slate and a few others. Those mics may sound good, but they aren’t the main focus of those companies. The support for the microphone over time, and the resale value of those mics are hard to predict.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Hello!
I'd choose the Rode.
Neumann is obviously a legendary microphone company, with many beautiful mics, recent and vintage.
I tried the 102 and thought it fared well as an instrument mic for the price.
I did not like it on vocals..although I only heard it with 3 singers. It sounded a bit small constricted...not very flattering nor inspiring. It wasn't bad...but not great.
The Rode I found to be quite a bargain for the price...forgiving ..works with many different voices. Nice and round...not extremely detailed but balanced.I've heard you can swap tubes for a NOS with some improvement.
I wouldn't take the edge for 2 reasons.
First I don't like the idea of a virtual mic because if the product gets discontinued, and the software not usable in a few years you're stuck with a very basic mic, typical modern chinese basic capsule. I don't see it having a good resale value for that reason.
Second I don't trust the company. Antelope used to be Aardvark years ago..the way it ended was not a model of honesty and respect for the customers. Promises, lies, drivers/software in beta for years, bugs.more promises, more lies...and it's not too different today with Antelope.
There are a lot of good mics in that price bracket though...AT4050 and 4047 are very good mics.
Advance Audio is Canadian manufacturer to check out.
Warbler is another one to check out.
Mojave Audio MA‑201fet is a great mic! You should be able to find a good price used.
Austrian audio is a new ...austrian company with 2 new mics that have terrific value.
AKG 414 B-ULS is a great workhorse..only second hand as it's been replaced by the xls which doesn't sound quite as good.

Last edited by johnjj; 3 days ago at 12:54 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Put the Beyer M88TG on your shortlist too. Especially if your room isn't treated acoustically.
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjj View Post
Hello!
I'd choose the Rode.
Neumann is obviously a legendary microphone company, with many beautiful mics, recent and vintage.
I tried the 102 and thought it fared well as an instrument mic for the price.
I did not like it on vocals..although I only heard it with 3 singers. It sounded a bit small constricted...not very flattering nor inspiring. It wasn't bad...but not great.
The Rode I found to be quite a bargain for the price...forgiving ..works with many different voices. Nice and round...not extremely detailed but balanced.I've heard you can swap tubes for a NOS with some improvement.
I wouldn't take the edge for 2 reasons.
First I don't like the idea of a virtual mic because if the product gets discontinued, and the software not usable in a few years you're stuck with a very basic mic, typical modern chinese basic capsule. I don't see it having a good resale value for that reason.
Second I don't trust the company. Antelope used to be Aardvark years ago..the way it ended was not a model of honesty and respect for the customers. Promises, lies, drivers/software in beta for years, bugs.more promises, more lies...and it's not too different today with Antelope.
There are a lot of good mics in that price bracket though...AT4050 and 4047 are very good mics.
Advance Audio is Canadian manufacturer to check out.
Warbler is another one to check out.
Mojave Audio MA‑201fet is a great mic! You should be able to find a good price used.
Austrian audio is a new ...austrian company with 2 new mics that have terrific value.
AKG 414 b-uls is a great workhorse..only second hand as it's been replaced by the xls which doesn't sound quite as good.
Thank You very much for your reply, it was very helpful for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Put the Beyer M88TG on your shortlist too. Especially if your room isn't treated acoustically.
Chris
Thank you for your suggestion
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

The most important, is you really should try the mics if you can .. in the end ...you are buying a mic for for yourself.
(unlike a studio engineer who's buying a mic for hundreds of singers)
Anyone here (including me) can tell you what they like, what they prefer, but they can't tell you what mic will work best with your voice.
Even the TLM-102 ..maybe it will work with you, who knows? like I said I only heard it with 3 singers.
The mics I recommended above seem to work well enough with a wide range of singers, after using them in a lot of situations, pretty much daily in the studio.
They are in my sense quality/versatile mics for your budget.
But then again to borrow or get a trial at home is the best way to do it!

About the SM7B, you can totally record ballads with it, but you will need a great preamp as it's a low sensitivity mic.
Unless you scream, you will need a mic preamp that has 70+ dB of gain.
That's another expense if you don't already own a mic preamp like this.
Most audio interface's internal preamps won't cut it.

The Beyer M88TG advised here is an another dynamic microphone like the SM7B. I think it has a higher sensitivity (not certain) so you might be able to get away without a special preamp. I was Phil Collins mic's of choice :-)
But then again what suits Phil Collins voice might not suit yours :-)

Be careful with online samples/videos, some engineers can make any mic sound phenomenal in post!
Some other videos are badly done (bad singer, bad sounding room, bad mix) and make wonderful mics sound like crap.
I think the only stuff that's worth it online are well made shootouts with an array of mics in front of the singer, so that it's only one single take.
Comparing mics online with different performances is hardly possible.

Last edited by johnjj; 2 days ago at 09:57 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Postscript... If you go the dynamic mic route, seriously consider the Soyuz Launcher, to go along with it for a Fat/Vintage style tone.
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search