The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading my JBL LSR305 into 8" speakers, here's what I narrowed down.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Upgrading my JBL LSR305 into 8" speakers, here's what I narrowed down.

I will mainly produce electroacoustic music, pop and trap, so I need that low end resolution a lot. My JBL are amazing, but I feel they can't give much to me in the low freq area, compared to the Genelec 8050 that we have at uni (no ****).

So these are my choices, since my budget is pretty limited (600€ at max).
What would you choose?
Feel free to add other speakers

thx
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Of your choices, if it were my money I’d go with the Yamaha. The company has been making studio monitors for a long time, with a lot of popular results and no real duds. They aren’t hyped in any way.
I don’t have major problems with any of your other choices. I have a limited experience with Mackie monitors and some with their live speakers. I just haven’t liked their speakers, but I admit it is a gut feeling that has no concrete basis in fact. PreSonus is a company I’d love to love, since they are an American company, but I have only gotten to “like” with anything of theirs that I’ve owned or tried. I am behind the times in not trusting digital speaker correction, but I don’t like an additional set of ADDA conversions in a monitor.
Tannoy and I haven’t been in the same room for decades, so I know zip about their current product.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I overlooked the M-Audio speakers. I owned a pair of passive M-Audio monitors for about ten years... no problems, no complaints. I replaced them with MUCH more expensive monitors. Some time after that swap I realized that my mixes didn’t come out very differently. I spent some research time and money on room treatment, which corrected the mix problems. So I think M-Audios in a reasonably good room will give you very good results.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Great, so you're telling me that BX8 D3s are gonna be fine? Because I'm 90% sure I'll buy those.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What I’m telling you is that I don’t see any big reason NOT to buy them. I might like the Yamahas a little better, but not enough to pay the difference. I think you would have to pay a LOT more to be sure you have a better speaker, but that doesn’t guarantee that your mixes would be better. When you can, study REW and spend to improve your room. That will certainly make your product better more than extra spending on monitors will.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If you like and know the 305's, why not consider the 308's?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Lastima View Post
That IS an obvious question that didn’t occur to me.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Lastima View Post
I haven't heard good things about them, they cost 125€ more (not much of a difference but still), but most importantly they aren't available here were I live
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

If you can find the Kali monitors I would go with them. Otherwise I would probably pick the Yamahas.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
I'm surprised no one suggested a subwoofer. Is there any reason why you can't use a subwoofer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search