The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your interface and why do you hate it?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Question What's your interface and why do you hate it?

Behringer UMC 204HD & 404HD

No way to hook up a master bus comp.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Don't those have inserts you can route to a stereo channel and set that up as your mix bus?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

There are a couple of YouTube vids on routing - just search for umc 404hd. They are in the first few videos.

if I caught it correctly, you can route the output of a Chanel or two in your daw to one of the 4 outputs on the back of the unit. Plug the outputs you set up on the 404hd to the input of the outboard compressor and then plug the output of the compressor to the inputs you normally use on the front of the 404hd. Not sure if you can map a bus to it - I haven’t tried.

I haven’t messed with this myself yet, but perhaps that might get it done?

If you try it I hope you let us know how it comes out.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your interface and why do you hate it?-432cd84f-cb64-43ce-b52f-28c157dd92f7.jpeg  
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

And thinking about it...

The way I just posted would be balanced connections.

You could just loop the outs to an in and have the outboard compressor in the insert. But inserts are not balanced, so might not be the best way.

Not sure if either way will help with your end goal, but worth a few moments of contemplation...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

RME Babyface, I really love it, but I wish the software wasn't so freaking convoluted
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I have an avid Omni and 16x16 analog I/O. I also use a UA Apollo silverface TB3. I prefer Avid due to HDX's low latency. The Apollo sounds ok, not great, not bad. Not a fan of Apollo's native latency, since I don't use their proprietary console software. The latency isn't a deal breaker, but it is ever so slightly noticeable when tracking, even at 32 buffer size and that is annoying. By noticeable I mean tracking instruments is not as tight as with Pro Tools. It feels too loose and not tight enough. That's the best way I can describe the feel. I chalk it up to latency.

I haven't heard an audio interface that has blown me away. I think the quality one gets from these interfaces is largely in part a result of how well you can edit audio. If the recording source is good and the mixer does a good job, I think you can get a great recording from just about any professional audio interface. I think were folks get frustrated in their results (myself included) is from a lack of mixing skills. I find that although anyone can record and mix tracks, only a small percentage (professionals) seem to know how to get incredible results.
Anyway I'm rambling.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason kalman View Post
I have an avid Omni and 16x16 analog I/O. I also use a UA Apollo silverface TB3. I prefer Avid due to HDX's low latency. The Apollo sounds ok, not great, not bad. Not a fan of Apollo's native latency, since I don't use their proprietary console software. The latency isn't a deal breaker, but it is ever so slightly noticeable when tracking, even at 32 buffer size and that is annoying. By noticeable I mean tracking instruments is not as tight as with Pro Tools. It feels too loose and not tight enough. That's the best way I can describe the feel. I chalk it up to latency.

I haven't heard an audio interface that has blown me away. I think the quality one gets from these interfaces is largely in part a result of how well you can edit audio. If the recording source is good and the mixer does a good job, I think you can get a great recording from just about any professional audio interface. I think were folks get frustrated in their results (myself included) is from a lack of mixing skills. I find that although anyone can record and mix tracks, only a small percentage (professionals) seem to know how to get incredible results.
Anyway I'm rambling.
With low end gear you spend a lot of time fixing things, for sure.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

RME Raydat > two ADI-8's line ins from my pre-amps for years.
..What's not to like?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
RME Raydat > two ADI-8's line ins from my pre-amps for years.
..What's not to like?
If I had the money RME all day long. So many I/O options.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Native Instruments KA6. Thing always resorts to 48k, so I have to go to settings and switch it to 44.1 when I turn on the DAW.
So if I invite someone into the room to hear a new song, it always sounds like the Chipmunks playing. Otherwise its fine.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
I have an original firewire motu 8pre. The fact it still works, can give me sub 3ms round trip latency, and daisy chain via optical I like...

But in large sessions I get really bad audio artifacts, even when I crank up to 512 samples for mixing. It gets static, pops, and sometimes on youtube it just spits out white noise till I restart it. Also the built in preamps are... not my favorite. But for the 300 I paid for it almost 10 years ago it has served me well and has up to date drivers so good to motu on that. Don't use the pres much in it anymore unless I need 16 simultaneous tracks, and the motu pres are only used on amps or percussion because they are noisy when cranked.
Old 5 days ago
I love the title of your thread, goom.

My interface is the RME Fireface UFX II. The only thing I hate about it is that I bought it when it was 450 odd dollars dearer.

I just noticed its currently discounted like a second hand suit.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
RME Babyface, I really love it, but I wish the software wasn't so freaking convoluted
You mean Totalmix? It's a scary beast but if you steady yourself and think very logically it's like feeding horses sugar cubes. And who doesn't love that??

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Cranborne Audio 500R8.

Hate it because now the only expansion option I can consider is the 500ADAT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search