The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3u Audio GZ251 vs GZ67 ... difference?
Old 22nd November 2019
Here for the gear

3u Audio GZ251 vs GZ67 ... difference?

Hi there!

This is specifically a query for those knowledge people who own (or have owned) a 3U Audio GZ251 and/or GZ67. I'm about to purchase a pair of one of them but am unsure which is the right one for me.

I've heard lots of clips on the forums here, and I can see that a few members own both mics, but none of the clips posted serve to compare the GZ251 and GZ67 directly.

The Clipalator doesn't have any 3U Audio mic files. I'll be using the mics mainly for vocals, guitar amps, drum overheads. I appreciate that the hardware of the mics are different and that they're based on two different vintage mics.

So what's the difference between them?

Cheers.
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear
I own the gz251 and use it for vocals and acoustic guitar. It’s a smooth voiced mic that helps tame any harshness in the midrange. It’s got a pretty good lift in the upper frequencies which gives the vocals some airiness. It also has a fat bottom.

I haven’t used the gz67, but I’d venture to say it has less of a lift in the airy frequencies, as well as a more prominent upper midrange, which might help it cut through a dense mix.

If you’re using it for vocals, overheads and guitar amps something tells me the gz67 would be a good choice. I chose the 251 because it is really nice with vocals and acoustic guitar.
Old 24th November 2019
Here for the gear

Hi there! Thank you so much for the reply. Yep, I think you're right about the GZ67 probably having a peak in the upper-mid frequencies. I just wondered how the lower frequencies behaved on both mics. I guess the fussy guy in me wants to hear them side-by-side.

There are a couple of people here who have/use both these mics - I think 'MYN' and 'Ragan' to name a couple. Would be good to hear from those guys. (Can you tag other users on here?!)

Obviously, if I had the cash, I'd just buy both, ha! That would be nice. But unfortunately that's not the case, so I'm just trying to do as much research as I can before I pull the trigger.
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

FWIW JZ microphones are "half off" list price, at their website. JZ 67 is well regarded generally. Good smoothie, when I've tried/sang through it.
Just a thought... Chris
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
FWIW JZ microphones are "half off" list price, at their website. JZ 67 is well regarded generally. Good smoothie, when I've tried/sang through it.
Just a thought... Chris
Is this still going on? Or are there the regular prices?
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

I think Front End, still has a sale.
Chris
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

I had the GZ251FET briefly but have used a pair of GZ67FET extensively. They’re both great mics. It really comes down to what you want out of the midrange.

Relaxed or forward? I know it takes some time and experience to develop a sense of these things but that’s the crux of the distinction in my view.

Are there other mics you’ve liked/not liked in these roles? That could help hone in on what you’re after.
Old 24th December 2019
MYN
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNetwork View Post
Hi there! Thank you so much for the reply. Yep, I think you're right about the GZ67 probably having a peak in the upper-mid frequencies. I just wondered how the lower frequencies behaved on both mics. I guess the fussy guy in me wants to hear them side-by-side.

There are a couple of people here who have/use both these mics - I think 'MYN' and 'Ragan' to name a couple. Would be good to hear from those guys. (Can you tag other users on here?!)

Obviously, if I had the cash, I'd just buy both, ha! That would be nice. But unfortunately that's not the case, so I'm just trying to do as much research as I can before I pull the trigger.
Apologies for not seeing this sooner. I have indeed owned and used both. I think Reagan is on target with it really being a difference mainly of the relaxed midrange of the 251 or the forward mids of the 67. The 251 might have a tiny bit more low end, but they both have an airy top. I still have the 251 and sold the 67. They are both very nice mics that are bargains for what you get. If you’re planning on getting one mainly for vocals that need to cut through a mix, the 67 would be my first choice though. Or get both the Warbler I and IV and cover a lot of ground for not so much $$
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. I think Ragan's "capsule definition",
helps explain why the 67 style tuned capsule, is better than the 251 style (on me).
Chris
Old 26th December 2019
Gear Addict

+1 for all the responses. Seeing the OP mentions so many uses including overheads maybe the GZ251 will be the better choice as stacked tracks will not present a mid-range build up.

The GZ251 is my idea of a near perfect mic as it’s top end sits halfway between neutral (1951 C12) and bright (1958 C12). It matches the response Eric Heisermann chose for his CK12 capsule (which i use in my DIY C12 build).

FYI: The “251” in the GZ251 name is a bit of a misnomer as the CK12 in all Telefunken 251s is the latter “bright” AKG CK12 capsule so there is little difference in sound between a post 1958 AKG C12 and a Telefunken 251. The 251 sounded a little bit smokey (due to the transformer in my opinion) but that’s about it.

So the GZ251 sound is really a Hybrid of the early and later AKG C12s (the use of a FET instead of a tube is of little importance as far as my ears can hear). Maybe that’s how Guosheng interpreted the reports of the Telefunken 251’s sound when he was tuning the capsule for his GZ251. In reality there were studios that owned pre 1958 C12s (relatively neutral sounding) which then bought a Telefunken 251 and were surprised by how bright it sounded.

All a bit off topic i suppose but i think it’s important to preserve this info on the net considering Klaus’ book is not available.

And an original U67 sounded surprisingly dark and many folks modified them to brighten the mic’s response. The GZ67 sounds like a modified U67. So as others mentioned, the difference is really a little Neumannesq mid range-bump with the GZ67.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
+1 for all the responses. Seeing the OP mentions so many uses including overheads maybe the GZ251 will be the better choice as stacked tracks will not present a mid-range build up.

The GZ251 is my idea of a near perfect mic as it’s top end sits halfway between neutral (1951 C12) and bright (1958 C12). It matches the response Eric Heisermann chose for his CK12 capsule (which i use in my DIY C12 build).

FYI: The “251” in the GZ251 name is a bit of a misnomer as the CK12 in all Telefunken 251s is the latter “bright” AKG CK12 capsule so there is little difference in sound between a post 1958 AKG C12 and a Telefunken 251. The 251 sounded a little bit smokey (due to the transformer in my opinion) but that’s about it.

So the GZ251 sound is really a Hybrid of the early and later AKG C12s (the use of a FET instead of a tube is of little importance as far as my ears can hear). Maybe that’s how Guosheng interpreted the reports of the Telefunken 251’s sound when he was tuning the capsule for his GZ251. In reality there were studios that owned pre 1958 C12s (relatively neutral sounding) which then bought a Telefunken 251 and were surprised by how bright it sounded.

All a bit off topic i suppose but i think it’s important to preserve this info on the net considering Klaus’ book is not available.

And an original U67 sounded surprisingly dark and many folks modified them to brighten the mic’s response. The GZ67 sounds like a modified U67. So as others mentioned, the difference is really a little Neumannesq mid range-bump with the GZ67.
Hey, did you end up liking the GZ251fet once you got it?
I'm thinking about trying out a new mic For OHs' and was thinking about
the warm, lautens or the TG's but I guess I could get a pair of the GZ67fets
for the price of one tg so I figure I should look into it!
thanks!
Daniel
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
Hey, did you end up liking the GZ251fet once you got it?
I'm thinking about trying out a new mic For OHs' and was thinking about
the warm, lautens or the TG's but I guess I could get a pair of the GZ67fets
for the price of one tg so I figure I should look into it!
thanks!
Daniel
Hi Daniel,
I have been lucky in having had an opportunity to trial a lot of mics and although everyone will point out there is more to a mic than frequency response, that is what I have been interested in. The GZ251 does well in other attributes like transient response. For overheads the cheaper cardioid only Teal CM1 is just as impressive. $200 will get you a pair.

At the end it just comes down to what you want to hear from a mic. It took me a long time to understand that there is no such thing as a “vintage” sound as there was such variance in sounds between vintage mics. The U67 is now old enough to be called vintage. Would i choose that or a U47 or C12 or 251 for overheads? I would choose any of them and then play with EQ if I chose wrong. What car should I drive? The more I learn the less I know. Record with X, Y and Z and that’s what your recording will sound like because that’s what you chose and if it’s a success you can say you meant it to sound that way ! But i have no idea what the right mic to choose for overheads is because I don’t know what sound you want to achieve.

Some of my favourite recordings are on Jimi Hendrix records. They are also some of the worst recordings I have ever heard. They are so bad i have never bothered to find out what mics were used yet i will turn up the volume if one comes on the radio. The funny thing is that if those songs had been recorded better then i probably wouldn’t like them at all.

Regards,
dean
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
Hi Daniel,
I have been lucky in having had an opportunity to trial a lot of mics and although everyone will point out there is more to a mic than frequency response, that is what I have been interested in. The GZ251 does well in other attributes like transient response. For overheads the cheaper cardioid only Teal CM1 is just as impressive. $200 will get you a pair.

At the end it just comes down to what you want to hear from a mic. It took me a long time to understand that there is no such thing as a “vintage” sound as there was such variance in sounds between vintage mics. The U67 is now old enough to be called vintage. Would i choose that or a U47 or C12 or 251 for overheads? I would choose any of them and then play with EQ if I chose wrong. What car should I drive? The more I learn the less I know. Record with X, Y and Z and that’s what your recording will sound like because that’s what you chose and if it’s a success you can say you meant it to sound that way ! But i have no idea what the right mic to choose for overheads is because I don’t know what sound you want to achieve.

Some of my favourite recordings are on Jimi Hendrix records. They are also some of the worst recordings I have ever heard. They are so bad i have never bothered to find out what mics were used yet i will turn up the volume if one comes on the radio. The funny thing is that if those songs had been recorded better then i probably wouldn’t like them at all.

Regards,
dean
Hey Dean, thanks for the response!
I ended up buying the warm 47 jr fit mics..Theyre not here yet but next week!
Damn for the price I guess I should try the teal mics.
How much is he getting for the GZ251?
Sounds like an interesting mic.
He doesn't have prices on he website, at least that I could see.
Yeah its funny about recordings, some of those Hendrix or Stones recordings aren't the best but the music just comes through!
Keep on rocking and thanks!
Daniel
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear