The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAD vs Blue - Any good condenser for 2 mic drums?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

CAD vs Blue - Any good condenser for 2 mic drums?

Hello, dear gearheads!

I'm wanting to complement my Shure KSM44 which will be used as mono OH or right knee setup for drums. Don't have money for something much expensive so I was thinking CAD M179 or Blue Hummimgbird.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 3 weeks ago

The M179 is an extremely versatile, uncolored mic. If you are recording various things and are on a budget, it would be one of the first mics to get.

-tINY

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey tINY, thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that I mostly record in untreated spaces (although I sometimes borrow some small gobos for the drums mainly). I know that SDC mics tends to have much less bleeding than LDC mics, that's why I was considering the Blue Hummingbird, although I can see that the M179 is much more versatile (sounds good on most sources). What is your experience with the M179 on any of the micing techniques I'm doing (knee and mono oh)? I'm recording a jazz sextet and I don't have more inputs for recording the drums as I would like to.

Thanks so much for the advice!

(I'm about to write a post about this sextet that I'm recording in regards to recommendations for placement, microphones, and some treatment)
Old 3 weeks ago

For drums, I've only used the GlynnJohns technique and the too-many-mics technique. Live, more mics can be better....

But, I've used the M179 in X/Y, M/S, Blumlein, ORTF, and Decca configurations on different ensembles. Always got decent results (usually great results if I pick the right configuration for the space).

-tINY

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

There is/was a company called Neat Microphones (owned by Gibson) that was run by the two main guys who started/ran BLUE, plus some other former BLUE employees. I'm pretty sure they're discontinued now, but you can find new Neat Worker Bee mics for cheap (around $100, originally they were $200). They're MDC, so a nice in-between LDC and SDC, and are very neutral & nice sounding. There's also the Neat King Bee, which is an LDC which is nice & "larger than life", but the off-axis sound is not great, so you probably wouldn't want it in an untreated space. It could work, though. But the Worker Bee has sounded good to me on just about everything because it's uncolored, unhyped, little proximity effect, etc. So not exciting but always nice. Cardioid only, so not as versatile as some other options in that regard, but probably the flattest response you'll find in a low-price mic, if you're looking to avoid the boosted treble of most mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search