The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mackie 1604 vlz pro vs cheap headphone amp
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

mackie 1604 vlz pro vs cheap headphone amp

has anyone got any experience with using the mackie vlz mixers as a headphone amp? how do you think this sounds vs a cheap headphone amp?
I have a pair of akg 702's and was thinking of using the mackie. i'm working on a budget but I have seen a REALLY cheap behringer ha400 and was wondering which would be best and the most clean?
edit; my local shop also has an art headtap, are these any good?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Never found the head amps in the Mackies I've had lacking. AKG 240s have been my go to's FWIW.
How would you be configuring it? (As in would that be a lot of rig just for a phones amp ..or?

Also to add.. presuming used here, some of these boards have had various circuit connection problems.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Never found the head amps in the Mackies I've had lacking. AKG 240s have been my go to's FWIW.
How would you be configuring it? (As in would that be a lot of rig just for a phones amp ..or?

Also to add.. presuming used here, some of these boards have had various circuit connection problems.
well it is a bit of hassle to generally set these boards up, i'd prefer something smaller lighter more compact. so there is that, although I like what can be done with board distortion and until I find something smaller and more modern that is comparable i'll probably just go with the mackie for that.

if the headphone amp in the board is better than those cheap ones I will stick with the mackie option for now but i've read people on here make the case that a dedicated headphone amp will be better than something designed for more than one purpose (a mixer) which makes logical sense. just not sure it would apply to headphone amps this cheap?

I guess as long as both provide a clean boost that's all that matters, right?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search