The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY 500 preamp question. (DIYRE CP5 preamp)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Cool DIY 500 preamp question. (DIYRE CP5 preamp)

Hello all!

I'm trying to build few 500 series preamp.

Heard good things about Hairball products, so i'm going to build pair of Lola later(when I have better soldering skill than now).

My question is :

Anyone built DIYRE CP5 preamp?

how's it sound?

I already have clean amps, DAV BG, AEA RPQ, Stock Apollo preamp, so I think I don't need more clean preamps but I heard it's easy to build, so it can be good staring point for DIY noob like me.(and also can add colour module as well if I feel like I need.)

Ah, I'm composing/playing/recording my own music(jazz, and acoustic pop stuff) but as well as planning to make some Synth heavy instrumental stuff as well. (James Blake's old albums, and Mark Guliana ' beat music ', Justin Tyson's new album.. stuff like these.)

I'd appreciate if you guys write some thoughts, experiences.

also, if you recommend colour module that would be awesome as well!
Old 4 weeks ago
I've built 4 and really like them. They sound great clean and of course you can dial in your colour. I have 2 with the LTL Mass DRVR and 2 with the LTL Royal Blue. I prefer the Royal Blue for sure. The Mass DRVR is fine but I find I really have to keep the colour knob low, it gets gnarly pretty quick. The CP5 gives me plenty of gain for my SM7 and is dead quiet. I'm interested in using a tube color next but I also wouldn't mind a few more with the Royal Blue, it's really nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music View Post
I've built 4 and really like them. They sound great clean and of course you can dial in your colour. I have 2 with the LTL Mass DRVR and 2 with the LTL Royal Blue. I prefer the Royal Blue for sure. The Mass DRVR is fine but I find I really have to keep the colour knob low, it gets gnarly pretty quick. The CP5 gives me plenty of gain for my SM7 and is dead quiet. I'm interested in using a tube color next but I also wouldn't mind a few more with the Royal Blue, it's really nice.
That was quick, I’ll order them soon.
Will keep updating, as I see this as long term project since nov, dec are full of gigs and teaching.. but hope find little time to build before christmas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search