The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My monitor comparison: Yamaha HS7 + KRK Rockit 7 G4
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My monitor comparison: Yamaha HS7 + KRK Rockit 7 G4

I figured I would share my thoughts on my recent purchase of studio monitors. There hasn't been a ton of comments regarding the new KRK G4s. I went in looking to compare Adam Audio T7V vs JBL 306P MK II vs. Yamaha HS7. In this initial comparison, I favored the HS7s. There seemed to be much more information revealed, although I had a general bias towards them because of the name and their look (the white model is absolutely beautiful).

I was concerned by the lack of bass initially, when comparing next to the HS8s, it really showed how much the HS7s were lacking in the low end and low-mid range. The HS8s were a bit out of my budget though, and I thought they may be too big for my room.

Took the HS7s home, and really enjoyed the brilliant highs and detail that I hadn't heard before. In the end it was a little too strident and unforgiving for me. I played pink noise and various other genres of music for about 24hrs, hoping that the high end would be tamed a bit and the bass would come in, but it never did.

Long story short, I returned these and decided to pickup the (relatively new) KRK Rockit 7 G4. I had completely disregarded KRK initially because I heard some bad comparisons, and read time and time again that they were too hyped in the low + high end. After watching a comparison on the Digital Stereophony youtube channel of the new generation 4, I decided to try them and I'm glad I did.

With the front-ported bass and bigger low end in general, I felt like I was getting a much more accurate picture of the low end -- where as with the HS7s I really had no clue. It is not quite as revealing as the HS7s, but I've taken the side that the HS7s are more hyped in the upper mids than they are accurate. I think the HS8s are a different story since they have more low end to balance it out, but it was not in my budget.

These KRK Rockit 7 G4s are way better than I was expecting them to be. The attached iso-foam pads, in combination with the front ported bass worked much better in my semi-treated space. With the HS7s, bass was getting lost out of the back of the cabinets and looming around the ground.

In conclusion, I think the HS7/HS series are great for a second set of monitors for professionals. The KRKs are much better balanced, I don't feel like I'll need to buy a subwoofer or more room treatment. They are much nicer on the ears as well, while still providing a lot of clarity. Only downsides of the KRKs is they don't look nearly as nice as the white HS7s, and there is bit more self-noise (the classic hiss common do so many of the class D powered monitors out there) than the HS7s had. I've already gotten used to it though, and am enjoying doing mixes -- whereas that was just not the case with the HS7s.

I took the KRKs over the JBLs and Adam Audios because I felt the bass was stronger, and the DSP EQ options allowed more flexibility. (I was only comparing the equivalent 6.5/7" speaker sizes of each brand)

YMMV, but I thought I'd share my experience.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks for your contribution fenderludwig. KRK really stepped up their game this time, and I'm excited to see what they have next in the pipeline. I believe they have a high-end monitor in the works, with a 3-way option.

What I'd love to hear are reviews of the new KRK 10-3 G4. They've been put a while now, but no one seems to have them. I think I've only read one review of them on a website somewhere...I really can't recall which one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search