The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting rid of m-audio bx5a for JBL lsr305 ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Getting rid of m-audio bx5a for JBL lsr305 ?

Hi everyone !

i own a pair of maudio bx5a deluxe in my home studio. (only production, no live recording)

I don't remember when i got them but this model is from 2007-2009 as i read on internet. so lets say i had them for the last 10 years.

I feel like the bass is really bad with the bx5a. i am questioning myself about buying another pair of monitors.

In the same range of this model from 2009, (now in 2019). I read a lot about the JBL lsr305 and the yamaha hs5.

but most people are saying between the two the lsr305 is better because of the bass-mid range.

Should i go with them or its not worth it since i already got the bx5a (same monitor category : 5 inch'')

Or maybe i could wait longer and buy more expensive monitor, what model would you suggest. JBL LSR308, yamaha hs8, etc (my room where i produce music is pretty small tho)

thnaks !
Old 4 weeks ago
how large is your room? does it have any treatment?

I like the JBL LSR 305 but really, any 5" speaker is not going to have much in the bass department.

I think the HS8s are better than the LSR 308s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I went from BX5a to LSR305. A big jump in quality all the way around. Just do it, and you'll be very happy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The JBLs are great I tried them against Adam T5Vs and picked the Adams - I should have gone for the JBLs because the Adam ribbon tweeter is really triggering my tinnitus. Consider keep your BX5s (they're worthless second hand anyway), it's always handy to have another reference point and you'll already understand how they translate. I actually mix on BX5s because they don't hurt my ears and then switch to the Adams for detail and soundstage tweaks. The imaging between the two are absolute night and day! The BX5s almost sound mono in comparison! If you know how a headphone or monitor translates then you can mix on anything - but yes - it's harder work mixing on dull sounding monitors like the BX5s - but they are kind to your ears!
Old 4 weeks ago
I have adam a7x from when I upgraded from the jbl305s. There really isn't much difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
From what you're saying, yes, the 305s are IMO the way to go. With a small room there's no point in going for 308s or similar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Yamaha HS8 is a much better speaker than the bx5a and jbl lsr 305. It has a much better cabinet, a clear enough midrange, and real extension to the midbass with no poorly done waveguides that have horn flare.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo4880 View Post
how large is your room? does it have any treatment?

I like the JBL LSR 305 but really, any 5" speaker is not going to have much in the bass department.

I think the HS8s are better than the LSR 308s.
maybe 3 meters by 5 meters, pretty small.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

There's also the KRK RP6G3-NA Rokit 6 on amazon canada at 279.99 $, the jbl 305 are at 219.99 $, maybe a little less quality ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
The JBLs are great I tried them against Adam T5Vs and picked the Adams - I should have gone for the JBLs because the Adam ribbon tweeter is really triggering my tinnitus. Consider keep your BX5s (they're worthless second hand anyway), it's always handy to have another reference point and you'll already understand how they translate. I actually mix on BX5s because they don't hurt my ears and then switch to the Adams for detail and soundstage tweaks. The imaging between the two are absolute night and day! The BX5s almost sound mono in comparison! If you know how a headphone or monitor translates then you can mix on anything - but yes - it's harder work mixing on dull sounding monitors like the BX5s - but they are kind to your ears!
thats trye, the bx5 sounds mono and flat

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search