The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rhode NT USB or Focusrite Scarlett solo studio?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Rhode NT USB or Focusrite Scarlett solo studio?

Hey,

I've been thinking about getting into recording songs/voice acting as a hobby for a while and also have some aspirations as an indie game designer, so, being able to record sounds effects would be a nice bonus too.

Now, I decided to look into what kind of mic setup would be good for my needs, but as it turns out, most reviews I found were either for mics for streamers or mics for musicians, and a lot of the mic-specifics review kinda sounded like advertisements.

So here I come, in search for answers. I've heard that the rhode NT USB is pretty decent, while the focusrite scarlett seems a bit more professional? Would love to hear your opinions or even other mic suggestions that are within a 300$ or so budget!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daly View Post
Hey,

I've been thinking about getting into recording songs/voice acting as a hobby for a while and also have some aspirations as an indie game designer, so, being able to record sounds effects would be a nice bonus too.

Now, I decided to look into what kind of mic setup would be good for my needs, but as it turns out, most reviews I found were either for mics for streamers or mics for musicians, and a lot of the mic-specifics review kinda sounded like advertisements.

So here I come, in search for answers. I've heard that the rhode NT USB is pretty decent, while the focusrite scarlett seems a bit more professional? Would love to hear your opinions or even other mic suggestions that are within a 300$ or so budget!

Do not know which ones are legit but, the presonus ones are the best to start with these days for under $300 imho.

If you already have a nice pc and tools, you can make a room sound great and use a cheap mic. The all purpose mic I purchased was a Rode, but not a usb mic. Not into that. A cloud lifter and a dynamic mic can do so much . If you got a bundle with no mic but, monitors, software and an interface , you could get a Shure SM57 and save a bit on a Cloud Lifter Gain box and do so much. If you can master that and get great mix then you are an artist.

Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, two SM57's and a Tascam 8 track. He didn't have the fancy plugins.

Spend most money on monitors after you have minimum basic setup. Start following eBay and Reverb and Mercari and buy sell buy sell. Have the gear you are using listed.

If you hit the lottery buy Neumans and post lots of pics.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSS1PRODUCERBUN

http://www.proaudiostar.com/presonus...hoCLgoQAvD_BwE

https://www.usfinestore.com/bundle-i...tware-pair-and
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I've heard that the rhode NT USB is pretty decent, while the focusrite scarlett seems a bit more professional?
I'd lean towards the Focusrite Scarlett out of those two choices, because it will let you use different microphones (and guitars!), including professional microphones that don't plug directly into a computer. If you decide later you need a different sound to the NT-USB - or that you want to connect professional studio monitor speakers to your computer too - you'll probably have to buy something like a Focusrite Scarlett to plug it into your computer anyway.

If you need specs to persuade you - the Focusrite can record microphones at 24-bit & up to 192kHz resolution, while the Rode NT-USB is stuck at 16-bit 48kHz.

Personally I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen, and I also have a couple of Rode microphones that plug into it (Rode NT1 Black/2014, Rode M2), so you can have the Rode sound with your Scarlett if you want.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies!

So, from what I understand, the AI box is more important than the actual microphone?

I was initially attracted to the scarlet solo studio because it provides an AI box, a listening headset, a mic that attaches to the box and a bunch of software.
But I was a bit worried that the mic quality of that set would be sub-par.

So, maybe instead of buying a set, I should get an AI box and then a separate mic to plug into it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I cut commercials at home every now and then and mix music for my band and others. I do almost all my mixing at home on a Scarlett solo sitting next to my wife lol. Shes watching Hallmark and I'm working. the solo is fine to start with. we track in my studio in the basement but alot of my mixes are done on a laptop and a solo. Hope that helps. The preamp will push a dynamic just fine.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I was a bit worried that the mic quality of that set would be sub-par.
It might be a slight step down, but I'm sure it's fine for starting out. Warren Huart has a video where he records a song with the Focusrite Studio Bundle, and you can hear him solo the vocals he recorded at around 22:50 so that should give a sense of the microphone quality. It seems fine to me.

I mean, I could nitpick, and there's a video that compares the Focusrite CM25 & Rode NT1 2014 and I picked the difference straight away. But I can't guarantee the cost of the NT1 is worth it over the CM25 in the studio bundle when you're starting out.

I like Amsoily's SM57 suggestion too. I have an SM58, because handheld mics are fun & it's the mic that Bono, Trent Reznor & David Bowie used. My NT1 is much clearer & more detailed than the SM58 (the CM25 probably is too!), but if they can make hit records with an SM58, maybe it's my talent that is the problem, not the microphone.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
That Focusrite recording pack is a great starter kit - but - I'd go for the new Steinberg UR22C Recording Pack, the mics and headphones are similar (typical budget but perfectly adequate) quality but the UR22C (USB C) has onboard DSP for latency free tracking reverb etc. (note the "C" not the standard UR22 which doesn't have onboard DSP) to me that's well worth the extra $20-30. Minus the DSP (ie the old UR22mkII) I'd go for the Focusrite.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

So, from what I understand, the AI box is more important than the actual microphone?

I was initially attracted to the scarlet solo studio because it provides an AI box, a listening headset, a mic that attaches to the box and a bunch of software.
But I was a bit worried that the mic quality of that set would be sub-par.

So, maybe instead of buying a set, I should get an AI box and then a separate mic to plug into it.

Negative, the two most important things besides your health and ears are Monitors and microphones.

Do you want to spend a couple hundred bucks and write music?

SM57 you can use for life.

You are better off getting your audio interface at a pawn shop, eBay or Reverb or Mercari.

There is a UR22 here, always on, @ Scragend has good point about DSP. Here we chose a Presonus 192 for that and a Standard UR22 for midi and streaming.

@ Daly ,
When you type 'record songs'; Do you mean: Record songs at home? Writing music from scratch? Playing an instrument or two of a cover song and adding some other intruments using software?
Or record live music other people are playing?

For lowest budget for song writing using virtual instruments, sampler and library content of loops and one shots I would get into Studio One, Presonus package.

For lowest price tracking setup I would drive an hour into the country side and get a UR44 at a pawn shop n feed store and use Reaper as my daw with a set of Yamaha 5 inch used monitors with one of the cones pushed in. For a mic I would get two sm57 and save for 2 cloud lifters used in eBay OR.

A. I'd spend all of the money on a Rode NT1
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...and-pop-filter

Or
A Shure SM7B on sale.

The two top mics and reaper will be best bet for solid voice acting.

You will be adding and upgrading if you get into this. Starting out with Rode NT1 or a Shure SM7B and Reaper is solid. Grinding it out with consumer headphones or cheap passive speakers and a 30watt preamp and a cheap used interface is fine. You can add a cloud lifter later for a dynamic mic.

I saved and got a EV RE20 then added a Cloudlifter later.

I have an American built monitor preamp with super long xlr and speaker cable not being used. Can sell cheap.

If you want to start with using an interface as your centerpiece I would wait two months to get something better. In the meantime I would get familiar with Reaper using sound files to mix and edit.

If you are just asking about a microphone,

Shure SM7B
Rode NT2
EV RE20
Heil Sound PR40
Audio-Technica AT2035

There are other EV models lower than the RE20 but, most go Shure SM7B for ambient noise issues then RE20.

A great progression would be PR40 to SM7B to RE20
A best all around would be NT1 Kit.

With DMG Equilibrium or Stienberg Spectralayers you could make a Shure SM58 sound like what ever you wanted.

The coolest hobby voice acting setup closing out 2019 for quality over budget.

B. Shure SM7B > Cloud CL-1 Cloud Lifter > Steinberg UR22C > Magix SoundForge 13 > Beyerdynamic DT 770 > Yamaha HS5

Best coolest hobby voice acting setup closing out 2018 on a budget over quality.

C. Heil Sound PR40 > Steinberg UR22 > Cockos Reaper > any headphones

Last edited by Amsoily; 4 days ago at 04:28 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks again for all the replies! It really helps a lot since I'm not knowledgeable about audio hardware.

Quote:
When you type 'record songs'; Do you mean: Record songs at home? Writing music from scratch? Playing an instrument or two of a cover song and adding some other intruments using software?
Or record live music other people are playing?
I guess I should have clarified a bit.
My initial aim will be to sing covers for existing songs and/or write and sing new lyrics. I'm multilingual and found out that lyrics come naturally to me, so I'll more specifically target foreign language songs or instrumental music pieces.

Once I get comfortable enough with the writing and singing part, I'll start compose actual music, but mostly using virtual instruments. I learned basic violin before, so I can read a music score and I played around with FL Studio in the past.
And like I said in a previous post, I'd like to record some custom sound effects for some other forms of media in the future.

I'll try to look around for the items that everyone suggested. I'm living as an expat in Asia, so I'll have to check what's available to buy/order!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks again for all the replies! It really helps a lot since I'm not knowledgeable about audio hardware.

I guess I should have clarified a bit.
My initial aim will be to sing covers for existing songs and/or write and sing new lyrics. I'm multilingual and found out that lyrics come naturally to me, so I'll more specifically target foreign language songs or instrumental music pieces.

Once I get comfortable enough with the writing and singing part, I'll start compose actual music, but mostly using virtual instruments. I learned basic violin before, so I can read a music score and I played around with FL Studio in the past.
And like I said in a previous post, I'd like to record some custom sound effects for some other forms of media in the future.

I'll try to look around for the items that everyone suggested. I'm living as an expat in Asia, so I'll have to check what's available to buy/order!

Coop, Presonus Studio One you can upgrad as you go and, you can add notion software to it.
Get their bundle, then get a $300 mic for $100 then get really crafty using your ears and takeing time to edit audio, then eq audio.
Then use Ozone Elements by iZotope. Can use Neutron elements too.

Gluck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search