The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Other than rackmount ideas
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Other than rackmount ideas

I have a desktop interface....not worth buying a rackmount case. It’s 1U. Other than Velcro or racking...I’d appreciate any and all ideas...pics great also.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
You could use it as a monitor stand.
Make a cube/riser out of some customboard/wood with the right sized gap for it, paint it and screw it in there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post
Make a cube/riser out of some customboard/wood with the right sized gap for it, paint it and screw it in there.
One tug on a cable though...ouch...I guess there’s not many options.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post
I’ve often wondered if putting pressure enough to keep an interface from moving could damage the internal components ...not worried about scratches because you can always put something on it to keep the scratches away....but heavy pressure?? For instance a Focusrite scarlett 1818...(seems tough but I don’t know)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Yeah if you have the sort of setup that requires you to plug and unplug stuff frequently, it may not be a good idea to use it as a monitor stand, but that is also not that good for your interface (wear on jack sockets etc.)
You can always use a couple of strips of Velcro to stop it sliding if you can't be bothered to make a riser.

Unless you have an old CRT monitor, LCD monitors weigh nothing. I have the 18i20 it has a metal case and no component inside is anywhere near the top. If you plan to park your car on it then maybe not, but a monitor is fine.

Don't over think it, heat is much worse for it than a bit of weight.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Since I have built my studio desk with IKEA stuff, I just cut a hole in my Desktop and let my 2 interfaces in. If it hadnt worked I would have just replaced the desktop.
Dont know if this would be an option for you
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopdude View Post
Since I have built my studio desk with IKEA stuff, I just cut a hole in my Desktop and let my 2 interfaces in. If it hadnt worked I would have just replaced the desktop.
Dont know if this would be an option for you
That’s awesome ...send me a pic if you can
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro View Post
That’s awesome ...send me a pic if you can
Sure
Attached Thumbnails
Other than rackmount ideas-20191114_165427.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm flipping around a lot of gear right now, so hardware wise I'm in limbo. This is my solution for now, it's all to my right side near the wall where all the snakes and feeds from my live room come in. I got some of those furniture pads to put on the bottoms so there's a little more breathing room and nothing gets scratched up.

I'm happy with it for now! The best thing about this arrangement is that it's cleaned up my cable runs in the control room. Things look a lot more tidier.
Attached Thumbnails
Other than rackmount ideas-img_0994.jpg   Other than rackmount ideas-screen-shot-2019-11-14-10.34.52-am.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I'm flipping around a lot of gear right now, so hardware wise I'm in limbo. This is my solution for now, it's all to my right side near the wall where all the snakes and feeds from my live room come in. I got some of those furniture pads to put on the bottoms so there's a little more breathing room and nothing gets scratched up.

I'm happy with it for now! The best thing about this arrangement is that it's cleaned up my cable runs in the control room. Things look a lot more tidier.
Excellent
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopdude View Post
Sure
Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What I used to do is make a shelf on top of my desk for my computer monitor, and monitor speakers, and then put rack spaces to hold the shelf up. This would be 3-4 spaces, and I could fit 2 wide. Then I had the opportunity to use 6-8 rack units, but only 2-4 were really all that accessible. I would just rack things I didn't touch much, and things that made sense being in the center, like a headphone amp, because my rack is typically to the opposite side I would want to record vocals or instruments.

It would be very easy to do the same idea, with no shelf, and just add some height to a computer monitor, as mentioned earlier, but actually make a small rack. Racks are super easy to build, you really only need to be able to cut wood in a straight line, some high end racks incorporate some intricate word working techniques but most you would buy at Guitar Center are simply particle board screwed together with a black laminate or carpet.

One other idea, which is essentially the same, is get a flight case, and use that as a stand for something, while allowing you to protect your gear if you travel. IMO, this is actually a better idea if you have less equipment, but only one piece of gear, not so much. I considered doing this for an interface, preamp, and compressor, but don't record much when I travel, I typically make MIDI based things, but if that was all I had, then I would definitely do this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
What I used to do is make a shelf on top of my desk for my computer monitor, and monitor speakers, and then put rack spaces to hold the shelf up. This would be 3-4 spaces, and I could fit 2 wide. Then I had the opportunity to use 6-8 rack units, but only 2-4 were really all that accessible. I would just rack things I didn't touch much, and things that made sense being in the center, like a headphone amp, because my rack is typically to the opposite side I would want to record vocals or instruments.

It would be very easy to do the same idea, with no shelf, and just add some height to a computer monitor, as mentioned earlier, but actually make a small rack. Racks are super easy to build, you really only need to be able to cut wood in a straight line, some high end racks incorporate some intricate word working techniques but most you would buy at Guitar Center are simply particle board screwed together with a black laminate or carpet.

One other idea, which is essentially the same, is get a flight case, and use that as a stand for something, while allowing you to protect your gear if you travel. IMO, this is actually a better idea if you have less equipment, but only one piece of gear, not so much. I considered doing this for an interface, preamp, and compressor, but don't record much when I travel, I typically make MIDI based things, but if that was all I had, then I would definitely do this.
What great ideas! Really have a better understanding a DIY from all the replies here. I was actually given a rack so I’m good but I may need to have it closer to me on the desk so this helps greatly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search