The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please recommend low volume listening monitors on a budget.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Please recommend low volume listening monitors on a budget.

Looking for easy listening monitors at low volume on a budget.
Earcomfort over accuracy.
Will be put near walls, few inches.
Listening position ~2m, small room 3x5m.
Budget(pair) $200-1000.

Had a list going before with JBL 305/308, Behringer 2031, KRK's, Edifier, Presonus, Mackie but I have no idea how these sound at low volumes. Does one stand out in this department? None of them have closed cabinets.

Hoping this is even possible on a small budget, another similar thread recommended mostly very expensive monitors...

Is getting a separate amp and passive speakers the better option?
If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You’re probably best getting a pair of ns10s or reftones or other closed box speaker and get a decent amp. They’ll get you the most information per buck at low volumes. Don’t bother with some of the bigger names at the price point imo

Reftones and the drawmer cpa-50 will set you back around $800

Auratones and their new amp bundled will be about $700
Old 4 weeks ago
I´d highly recommend to test the Eve Audio SC203.

I know they only come with 3 " drivers but they are closed and sound huuuuge.
(no comparison to a3x or IK tbh. I´ve used both of em for a long time)

I´m using them on tour and on vacation a lot and it´s definately unbelievable how huge they sound.

They are also great for referencing mixes since they come with an integrated Interface using Burr Brown converters.

You can set em up via USB, analog and with optical input.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I'm actually making a recommendation that's a bit outside of the norm; the Fluance Ai40 or Ai60, at $200 and $300 for the pair. There's almost, or probably no mention of them here on Gearslutz and are not dedicated studio monitors. Fluance deals in the consumer and prosumer market, and really doesn't have any offerings catering to producers or musicians. But the Fluance speakers aren't ported, are very flat and detailed. Seem to be well built, and offer Bluetooth, if I'm not mistaken.

I think they can rival some of the low-end studio monitors as well. The JBL LSR305 and Kali Audio offerings are great, and offer probably the best bang for the buck between them, but the Fluance isn't bad, at all. Check them out and see if you can give them a listen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

A pair of JBL LSR 305 mk ii is your ticket. It’s slightly scooped but it sounds good at lower volumes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Rogers Sound Labs 2600mm’s with an Adcom 545 driving them. The 2600’s are a 3-way and built with high quality crossovers. Yesteryear monitors from a small 5 store family owned company in California. They made high end speakers and monitors from about 1973 to 1992. I just picked up a pair $250 on EBay shipped to my front door. An Adcom 545 can be had for $200 to $250. You can send it off to Jim Williams when you want to upgrade it. I tested the RSL’s against my Event 20/20bas’s with REW in my room and they equaled them in most areas and beat them in others. I moved to passives because I flush mounted them and you can set them and forget them. No tweaking highs and lows and volume. They compliment my Yamaha Ns500m’s very well.

I’ve supplied a closeup and mine in my studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Please recommend low volume listening monitors on a budget.-d1306ab0-2507-471e-b4d2-e400edb21183.jpg   Please recommend low volume listening monitors on a budget.-d5d3025e-1e47-4383-a9a1-64616d506cbd.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Event 20/20s.

soft on the ears. Nice things

Buddha
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The subwoofer that pairs with the 305’s (JBL LSR310S) is on sale also at Sweetwater, but it is even still cheaper on amazon at the moment.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search