The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann TLM 102 for Singer/Songwriter?
Old 6th November 2019
Here for the gear

Neumann TLM 102 for Singer/Songwriter?

Considering upgrading from my current Rode NT1A to a Neumann TLM 102. I run the NT1A through a Scarlett 2i2 and record vocals/acoustic guitar into it at the same time. Mostly use it to record demos etc. (nothing super pro), but would love to get a bit of an upgraded sound.

Of course, would love to pick up a separate mic. for acoustic guitar but, as vocals are my main concern, I need to pick up a mic. that focuses on vocals but can pick up the acoustic guitar too. Apologies if I'm a bit clueless when it comes to these matters.
Old 6th November 2019
Here for the gear
IMHO that wouldn’t be worth the money. An SM57 with some top end added would be a good combination with the Rhode mic on vocals. To me, the TLMs are just not worth the money.
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

TLM 102 is a very nice microphone.

How about a figure 8 though?
Like one of the Advanced Audio LDC's or the new Samar AL-95 ribbon?
(You may need some further help with gain, on some ribbons BTW)
Chris
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Head
Akg 214 is good on guitar and vocals, but if your in an untreated room a sm7b and cloudlifter will work great also
Old 9th November 2019
+1 on the tlm102 for thinner, higher pitched voices, as it has a full, rich bottom and can get a little thick quickly. Depending on type of guitar, it could work well here as well.

With the Rode NT1a, not a bad combo - you could flip 'em around and depending on placement they could work well together. (My comments derived from having both the tlm102 and the predecessor to the Rode NT1am the original Rode NT1)

My .02 anyway
Old 9th November 2019
lower end Neumanns aren't worth the money, in my opinion. If you can buy one used - maybe, because if/when you sell it you won't take a big loss on it.

For what they cost, I think there are better choices to make with your money - especially when you are just starting out.

Look for something with multiple pickup patterns - if you don't have an extensive mic locker, flexibility is key.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I think your money would be better spent on an sm7b and a gap 73 pre. Especially if your in an untreated room. Never really cared for the tlm. And an untreated room male vocals can't go wrong with the tried and true sm7b. I think the Gap is better choice than a cloud lifter and used they can be the same price. I've recorded using the sm7b without either straight in to the Scarlett's pres.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search