The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
5" with a sub vs 8" inch monitors with no sub
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maki View Post
So you're saying, getting two subs, placing them in each corner and setting their crossover at something as high as 200hz would still make it sound balanced again?
Why would you go up to 200 Hz again?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
So you're saying, getting two subs, placing them in each corner and setting their crossover at something as high as 200hz would still make it sound balanced again? It would screw with the stereo image I'm sure though, especially snares which are panned hard left/right.
You'll have to experiment with placement in order to excite the room modes. Room EQ Wizard has a room simulator that can give you good places to start, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

The Earl Geddes technique that I posted upthread indicates multiple subwoofers in different positions of your room. He also runs his monitors full range. It's a whole rabbit hole but it was effective in my room for cancelling nulls like the one you describe.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

unfortunatly I'm not a musician, I'm a listener, classical music mainly.
I did a lot of work to improve my listening small room (4.5x3.8x3m).
The room modes simulations with REW are very different from reality when checked with a mic. I think because of a door and a big window-door in the room, the treatments done, differences on the materials of walls, etc, the sound changes also between winter time and summer time...
Being a little room, a lot of peaks, deeps in the bass and comb effect in mid-high still remains, no matter what I did. I experimented a lot, finally I ended up with 1 sub: the best placement of it with the flattest and rather good frequency response was at my listening position. So I put it under the coach, mono mode (2 sub are useless in this position) crossover around 70Hz and a delay of 3.2ms from main speakers (LxMini).
Nobody notices or imagines there is a sub under the coach, the bass seems coming from the front.
Your case is different, but may be this can help you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Why would you go up to 200 Hz again?
Because I have a huge null at 115hz, take a look at my previous post on page 1
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Because I have a huge null at 115hz, take a look at my previous post on page 1
I've seen that, yes, but 115 Hz isn't 200 Hz in my world.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
I've seen that, yes, but 115 Hz isn't 200 Hz in my world.
Yeah but the sub I am willing to buy has a crossover at 120hz and the next is at 200hz, I don't think 120hz is gonna cut it. I am not sure how exactly crossovers work if they start at 120hz or end at 120hz, if it's the former, then yeah, it might work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Yeah but the sub I am willing to buy has a crossover at 120hz and the next is at 200hz, I don't think 120hz is gonna cut it. I am not sure how exactly crossovers work if they start at 120hz or end at 120hz, if it's the former, then yeah, it might work.
Sorry, didn't remember you saying that. These cutoff frequencies should be -3 dB points so 120 Hz will be 3 dB down which isn't much.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you're saying, getting two subs, placing them in each corner and setting their crossover at something as high as 200hz would still make it sound balanced again? It would screw with the stereo image I'm sure though, especially snares which are panned hard left/right.
You can experiment and try it. Usually subs don't get crossed over higher than 80 - 100Hz. When you start getting into mid bass things get weird. I don't see this as a solution for your issue at 110 Hz. If this was that sort of magic bullet it would be well known by now. But who knows, maybe it works for you...

YMMV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search