The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What mixer has EQs closest sounding to an SSL EQ?
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Head

What mixer has EQs closest sounding to an SSL EQ?

Hey,

I'm looking for at least 16 channels of EQ, at least a Hi and Low shelf or band, and 2 fully parametric Mids. My price range is under 2500 or 2000.

The only one i can think of is the Allen and Heath GS3000. Are there any other mixers with a comparable EQ that is this affordable?

I already have a SS EQ573, Warm EQP, and a Hammer on the 2 Bus.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I have an Allen and heath gs3000 but the digital chip in the tiny digital part has gone meaning all mutes are stuck on. All the analogue parts ie 99% of the desk works perfectly. Very frustrating but may be of interest to you if you are handy
Quote:
Originally Posted by esppse View Post
Hey,

I'm looking for at least 16 channels of EQ, at least a Hi and Low shelf or band, and 2 fully parametric Mids. My price range is under 2500 or 2000.

The only one i can think of is the Allen and Heath GS3000. Are there any other mixers with a comparable EQ that is this affordable?

I already have a SS EQ573, Warm EQP, and a Hammer on the 2 Bus.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
I have an Allen and heath gs3000 but the digital chip in the tiny digital part has gone meaning all mutes are stuck on. All the analogue parts ie 99% of the desk works perfectly. Very frustrating but may be of interest to you if you are handy
PM sent
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
IIRC most if not all A&H EQs are considerably less aggressive/effective than anything made by SSL.

Midas Venice F has a good EQ.
Soundcraft Ghost might be interesting for a small studio if you want parametric mids and can live with fixed frequency shelves.
If you are OK with a larger live board, you might be able to get a very nice console for your budget.
Some examples:
Midas XL3 (usually a bit more expensive, but I've seen at least a couple in your price range)
Soundcraft MH4
Soundcraft MH3 (reliable, but harder to repair - not modular)
Soundcraft Series Four
Soundcraft Series Five (if you are really lucky)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
IIRC most if not all A&H EQs are considerably less aggressive/effective than anything made by SSL.

Soundcraft Ghost might be interesting for a small studio if you want parametric mids and can live with fixed frequency shelves.
If you are OK with a larger live board, you might be able to get a very nice console for your budget.
Some examples:
Midas XL3 (usually a bit more expensive, but I've seen at least a couple in your price range)
Soundcraft MH4
Soundcraft Series Four
Gs3000 is a special board though ... They say it had the same designer as the ghost was a bit nicer can't find any evidence for that. Thing sounds great though.
Incidently OP I have a soundtracs maxi topaz 24 8 2 for sale purely analogue in very good condition though the shipping might cost more than the board!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post

Some examples:
Soundcraft MH4
Soundcraft Series Four
Thanks very much for the suggestions, had no idea about many of them. I'll keep a look out for one of em. Just trying to put together a poor man's SSL, lol.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 300228d
The only board I’ve seen compared to ssl is the mci 500?? I think they say the design of the 4K was based on the mci

Also the tascam m 3700 has been compared to the ssl

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search