The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pick a new studio toy for £100
Old 17th October 2019
  #1
Pick a new studio toy for £100

I'm looking to by a bit of studio gear as a present (for my brother inlaw) and I've ran out of ideas this year - the brief is £100 must be usable for making music so no lava lamps - I'm looking for something cool that could supply a bit of inspiration - previous presents have been, a MAM 33 synth, a big muff, and a digitech supernatural delay. I usually go for something I use, and fall back on myself but the over lap in our gear has become such that I think we have matching sets of most kit.
Old 17th October 2019
  #2

How about some hand percussion items?



-tINY

Old 17th October 2019
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

A Pocket Operator. Or two or three, maybe, for that money.
Old 18th October 2019
  #4
Gift card, let him shop and have fun picking out something he needs and/or wants.....
Old 18th October 2019
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Gift card, let him shop and have fun picking out something he needs and/or wants.....

Nah not in the spirit of getting something cool that you might not pick for yourself
Old 18th October 2019
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezb1 View Post
Nah not in the spirit of getting something cool that you might not pick for yourself
As one of my children pointed out on a birthday, "a gift card is like cash but worse, because you can only spend it in one place."

A gift card, of course, can also be a pointed critique. Like when your spouse gives you one for the carwash because you keep saying you want to save money by washing the car yourself, but you never get your ass out in the driveway and actually do it.
Old 18th October 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 

New headphones? Midrage mic? Maybe something utility based like a sound meter or calibration mic? Tablet? I use an old tablet with and SPL app permanently on my desk, not completely accurate but it's handy sometimes and cool to look at.

Single Auratone style speaker? 10 packs of guitar strings? 1000 picks? A single cymbal? Or a gong maybe? Guitar pedals are always cool, maybe something weird like a Korg Mika?

Are they focused on a single genre or working on a wide range of music? Mainly tracking or mixing? Acoustic or electronic music focused?

Maybe just a cool Recording or On Air sign that lights up?
Old 18th October 2019
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
1000 picks?
Not for a member of my household, man. If you've got that many picks, when you drop one why bother to even look down, never mind bend over?

Me, I'm on the opposite end of the scale -- I have probably a hundred picks I hate and three I like. When I lose one I'm in a panic until I go out to the garage and find it in the dryer lint.
Old 18th October 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Not for a member of my household, man. If you've got that many picks, when you drop one why bother to even look down, never mind bend over?

Me, I'm on the opposite end of the scale -- I have probably a hundred picks I hate and three I like. When I lose one I'm in a panic until I go out to the garage and find it in the dryer lint.
There has to be a name for that law. Go to the store, buy 10 of your favorite kind. There's 8 when you get home, only 3 left by the time you pick up your guitar and then you manage to save one and use it for the next 6 months until you go buy 10 more, repeat.

I figure 1000 should last you a year or so. Can't find my wallet half the time but I know exactly where that one pick is!
Old 18th October 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Loopers are always fun.

A binaural headset is fun...I have a sennheiser Ambeo but there is also a Hooke verse model that might be more practical (not dependent on iPhone).
Old 18th October 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Get him two Peterson StroboClip HD tuners. Best clip-on tuner ever and he'll have a backup when he can't find one.
Old 18th October 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
charlieclouser's Avatar
 

If he's a guitar player?

E-Bow.

(as long as he doesn't already have one)

No question it's inspirational, it fits the price point, and will never be obsolete.
Old 19th October 2019
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
If he's a guitar player?

E-Bow.

(as long as he doesn't already have one)

No question it's inspirational, it fits the price point, and will never be obsolete.
Oh that's a good un... I was leaning towards a reamp box. The E-bow would be more instant fun but would a reamp box provide more options for experimenting with amps and pedals have more life in the long run?
Old 19th October 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post

Single Auratone style speaker?
Not a bad shout - practical (but not inspirational).
Old 19th October 2019
  #15
Ok so the question has now become: E-bow or reamp box?
Old 19th October 2019
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
As one of my children pointed out on a birthday, "a gift card is like cash but worse, because you can only spend it in one place."

A gift card, of course, can also be a pointed critique. Like when your spouse gives you one for the carwash because you keep saying you want to save money by washing the car yourself, but you never get your ass out in the driveway and actually do it.
Imagine getting a gift card to a breath mint store.
Old 19th October 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezb1 View Post
Ok so the question has now become: E-bow or reamp box?
Ebow for sure
Old 19th October 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

If you have enough left over after the Ebow, find a cheap strat, pull the frets and fill with wood filler. Ebow + fretless is the bomb!



(some of the worst camera work ever)
Old 19th October 2019
  #19
Old 19th October 2019
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post

That looks fun... I'm definitely going to make one of these from parts in my shed.
Old 19th October 2019
  #21
Think the E-bow wins - and I get to tell him a member of NIN suggested it.
Old 19th October 2019
  #22
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezb1 View Post
Think the E-bow wins - and I get to tell him a member of NIN suggested it.
In terms of "giftitude," I think Charlie's chiming in is the gift. And the ribbon is tied with an E-Bow.

GS is like an open mic. Once in a while something great happens.
Old 19th October 2019
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In terms of "giftitude," I think Charlie's chiming in is the gift. And the ribbon is tied with an E-Bow.

GS is like an open mic. Once in a while something great happens.

Indeed... it was the NIN synth mega thread that brought me here in the first place, getting a first hand account of the NIN sessions and gear... and then I found out he worked on the theme tune for the Equalizer the greatest tv show theme tune EVER!
Old 19th October 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
charlieclouser's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezb1 View Post
Indeed... it was the NIN synth mega thread that brought me here in the first place, getting a first hand account of the NIN sessions and gear... and then I found out he worked on the theme tune for the Equalizer the greatest tv show theme tune EVER!
Unfortunately, I did NOT work on the theme to the original "The Equalizer" series back in the 1980's. That was Stewart Copeland of The Police, who scored the first couple of seasons. I was hired to work with the Australian composer named Cameron Allan who took over from Stewart, and we scored the final season, but Stewart's theme stayed.

I do have a few tv themes and series scores to my name, like the American Horror Story theme, but I can't take credit for the eighties synth-and-Fairlight greatness that Stewart laid down!
Old 20th October 2019
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
Unfortunately, I did NOT work on the theme to the original "The Equalizer" series back in the 1980's. That was Stewart Copeland of The Police, who scored the first couple of seasons. I was hired to work with the Australian composer named Cameron Allan who took over from Stewart, and we scored the final season, but Stewart's theme stayed.

I do have a few tv themes and series scores to my name, like the American Horror Story theme, but I can't take credit for the eighties synth-and-Fairlight greatness that Stewart laid down!
Funny it was because I knew you'd scores AHS that I thought "makes sense" that you'd worked on the Equalizer as both create the same feeling of unease - just goes to show how subjective music can be and how you hear what you want / expect to hear and how what you hear can be influenced by suggestion (or misreading in this case).

I can still remember hearing the Equalizer theme for the first time (I must have been about 10) and i thought it was the most exciting and ominous (not a word I would have used at the time mind) piece of music I'd ever heard... before that I was all about the imperial march.

Ps: cheers for the E-bow suggestion it's now on order.
Old 20th October 2019
  #26
Gear Head
 

Akai MPX8?
Old 20th October 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

nux core deluxe looper...
Old 20th October 2019
  #28
Cheers chaps, I've already ordered the E-bow... but am taking notes for future ideas.
Old 20th October 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Soyuz Launcher...
Chris
Old 21st October 2019
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

How about some hand percussion items?



-tINY


Hand percussion like tINY suggested. I got a pair of shakers last week for $5 that sound fantastic.

Tambourine and other stuff could work too. Or a kazoo, which I also have.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump