The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pick a new studio toy for £100
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
As one of my children pointed out on a birthday, "a gift card is like cash but worse, because you can only spend it in one place."

A gift card, of course, can also be a pointed critique. Like when your spouse gives you one for the carwash because you keep saying you want to save money by washing the car yourself, but you never get your ass out in the driveway and actually do it.
It's also impersonal as hell. Never been a fan. Put some effort into thinking about what a person would like and get it. It might not always hit the mark, but the thought and effort put into it IMO is what matters.

Back to the OP: an inexpensive mic is always something to keep in mind for future ref. So many good inexpensive mics today, get them something different from what they have (if you can find out).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mini Guitars - You can pick up 2 real nice ones for $10 or $20 each - I got a flying vee and a great acoustic.... great for travelling or messing around - great for video props... you can customize 'em like have a pro decal made with his name or special saying... or how about signing him up with ISRC - get a few thousand tacking codes for every song he might ever do - this might inspire him to look forward... or how about star registry - get a star named after him slash favorite song or something...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
If he's a guitar player?

E-Bow.

(as long as he doesn't already have one)

No question it's inspirational, it fits the price point, and will never be obsolete.
I play with someone who uses an e-bow -- a very neat (and inspirational) tool.

If he like electronic toys, a Korg Volca might be in the price ballpark.

. Charles
Old 3 weeks ago
too late now, but still want to add: a dedicated DAW keyboard like editors keys.
Consider this a perfect gift: i wouldn't spend 100 bucks for a keyboard myself, but if got one of these, i'd be so happy i'd probably cry
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
If he's a guitar player?

E-Bow.

(as long as he doesn't already have one)

No question it's inspirational, it fits the price point, and will never be obsolete.
Wow, an E-bow is that cheap? Excellent. Now I just need to replace the rusty
strings on the only electric guitar I have around here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
It's also impersonal as hell. Never been a fan. Put some effort into thinking about what a person would like and get it. It might not always hit the mark, but the thought and effort put into it IMO is what matters.

Back to the OP: an inexpensive mic is always something to keep in mind for future ref. So many good inexpensive mics today, get them something different from what they have (if you can find out).
I can think of quite a few iSK mics that would be good options. Even if they're not drastically different from what they already have, they could be good back ups, or great if you have clients who think they know better than you about mic placement who might play with the set up (mainly heard stories about drummers bringing mics way too close to the kit, or vocalists trying to hold or cup condensers).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Backups, hell. isK makes very good mics to use as go to mics.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you do go with a Reamp box then it's hard to beat the Orchid Amp Interface.

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Amp_Interface.htm

E-Bow is a good shot to though. I should buy one myself
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Backups, hell. isK makes very good mics to use as go to mics.
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to put the Pearls on something. Haven't tried the 2B Beauty though, or the Starlight (RIP). The BM-600 (Swamp/eBay only, or by rebrands like the Devine BM-600) is a pretty usable mic, certainly cleaner than the V67G and AKG Perception 420, but roughly the same high end response (maybe a bit flatter because it uses a sloped U87 style grille). A lot of the mics Swamp sells from iSK are great too.
Old 1 week ago
Ebow arrived today - and of course I had to test that it worked - and I love it might (will definitely) be ordering one for myself... cheers for the suggestion Charlie you've just cost me double my budget.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can mod those things a little... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p--aW9_MKTM

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search