The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TZ Audio Stellar X2 mic
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZAudioProducts View Post
In regard to the statement that our microphone circuits are hand-assembled yes you are correct. Every component is individually tested before being placed in our circuit boards and is individually soldered by hand. But is it done here in the USA? No, but we make sure that every step that our PCB assembler takes while producing our circuit boards is approved by us to ensure the best quality. For example, some components like the WIMA capacitors are imported from Germany directly to the assembler to be tested one by one. All the JFETS and resistors are checked to make sure they are within tolerance. We would have done it here in the USA but the price to even assemble a PCB would be almost the cost of the Stellar X2 per piece. So we decided to go the route of finding an experienced assembler that understood the level of quality that we needed and that would be willing to do it. We wanted to provide a great sounding microphone but wanted to keep it affordable for many people. By choosing not to assemble our circuit boards in the USA we managed to keep the price down while keeping the same type of quality as if it were done by us. We see no reason to do it here in the USA as the quality would not change but instead greatly increase the price. This attention to detail and commitment to quality carries over to the final inspection and testing that we do here.

Hope that helps and we are glad you like our microphone's tone!
Thanks for the explanation!
Old 20th December 2019
Here for the gear

I picked one of these up, and I can't say I had a good initial experience with it. For starters, when I opened the case for the first time it smelled terrible. I mean, like really bad off-gassing. The package came in looking ragged and the foam in the case didn't "fit" the case, and the foam shield was deformed and too tight to fit on the mic.

That was strike 1.

Then, I noticed the bottom seemed misaligned. TZ did send an email upon order saying to twist it back closed as it may have shifted in transit. I went to twist it on and it just didn't "lock" into place. Kinda felt a little too loose. The shock mount has very loose & rattly spring levers, which you can hear if you bump the mic stand. So you don't hear the bump as much, but you hear a rattle.

A soft strike 2 (obviously if the case/screen/mount suck I can just use better stuff that I already have here).

Then I plugged it in (TB12-RME UFX+) and recorded a bunch of different sources. I found the sound to be fairly balanced actually, but really missing detail in the transients for more percussive sources (clapping, drum room mic, shaker, tambourine). It doesn't appear to have a fast response, though I would argue that's typical of cheaper LDC's. I next tried guitar cab and acoustic. Both of those sources sounded just OK, I'd reach for other mics ahead of this one. Compared to other mics in this price range it actually performed OK on guitar cab, just not close-mic'd. I tried vocals last and that's where it appeared to work the best. It actually didn't give me any sibilance issues on my voice but did have a notable prox. effect.

So I didn't get a strike 3 (yet) which means I'll keep it, as I originally intended to get this as a good "field" mic when on-location for interviews or dialog capture. I'm not sure it will be a permanent fixture in the studio, but sounds good enough for a back-up utility mic.

Overall I think it was a bit over-hyped, but does sound better than anything I've tried in this price bracket. One request - please hire a graphic designer and change the logo!
Old 20th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by obascin View Post
I picked one of these up, and I can't say I had a good initial experience with it. For starters, when I opened the case for the first time it smelled terrible. I mean, like really bad off-gassing. The package came in looking ragged and the foam in the case didn't "fit" the case, and the foam shield was deformed and too tight to fit on the mic.

That was strike 1.

Then, I noticed the bottom seemed misaligned. TZ did send an email upon order saying to twist it back closed as it may have shifted in transit. I went to twist it on and it just didn't "lock" into place. Kinda felt a little too loose. The shock mount has very loose & rattly spring levers, which you can hear if you bump the mic stand. So you don't hear the bump as much, but you hear a rattle.

A soft strike 2 (obviously if the case/screen/mount suck I can just use better stuff that I already have here).

Then I plugged it in (TB12-RME UFX+) and recorded a bunch of different sources. I found the sound to be fairly balanced actually, but really missing detail in the transients for more percussive sources (clapping, drum room mic, shaker, tambourine). It doesn't appear to have a fast response, though I would argue that's typical of cheaper LDC's. I next tried guitar cab and acoustic. Both of those sources sounded just OK, I'd reach for other mics ahead of this one. Compared to other mics in this price range it actually performed OK on guitar cab, just not close-mic'd. I tried vocals last and that's where it appeared to work the best. It actually didn't give me any sibilance issues on my voice but did have a notable prox. effect.

So I didn't get a strike 3 (yet) which means I'll keep it, as I originally intended to get this as a good "field" mic when on-location for interviews or dialog capture. I'm not sure it will be a permanent fixture in the studio, but sounds good enough for a back-up utility mic.

Overall I think it was a bit over-hyped, but does sound better than anything I've tried in this price bracket. One request - please hire a graphic designer and change the logo!
We are happy to hear that you like the tone form the microphone as that is the most important part of us.

As for the other stuff, sorry about the smell, that is probably from the epoxy used to glue the foam together into the case. We will use something else for our next batch. As for the wind cover and shock mount, we would love to send you a new one if you email us via support. The end cap being loose is caused by the shipment from our facility to Amazon FBA via UPS. Only our first batch had this issue, we used a wooden crate for our second batch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah got mine a few days ago. This is the best vocal Mic I’ve ever used. Not that I’ve used many, but this is exactly what I’ve been searching for in a mic in this price range and never been able to find. Thank you TZ!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

That was strike 1.

I actually like the TZ part of the logo. The Audio Products part could be removed from the mic's, but the TZ is nice IMO.

Please let us know how you get on with it after more use and can anyone else let us know if you also find these mics lacking when it comes to transients? This softening effect could of course be beneficial in certain instances, but definitely detrimental in others, so good to know if this is a characteristic of these mic's or if it's just a "dodgy batch' and teething trouble for a new company. $200 is still a low rice, but they need to better 3U Audio CM1's at half the price as well as all the other entry level condensers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hello, I'd like to purchase one of these mics, but Amazon is all sold out, and the mailing list on your site looks as if it only applies to the X2 vintage and not the $199 "New X2".
How would I go about securing an order for one of these mics? Thanks for your time, I think you have an exceptional product at this price-point here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
Hello, I'd like to purchase one of these mics, but Amazon is all sold out, and the mailing list on your site looks as if it only applies to the X2 vintage and not the $199 "New X2".
How would I go about securing an order for one of these mics? Thanks for your time, I think you have an exceptional product at this price-point here.
Hello, sorry for the inconvenience.

We have started an order page on our website where you can order it. We are in back order right now but the expected shipment date is in one week.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

**Update after a few more weeks of use.

The 7-9 Khz dip in the curve is noticeable. On the one hand, that's why it seems to perform well with sibilance ( a good thing!). On the other hand, that's the range that gives mid-range instruments that up-front feeling (not quite air, I'd usually call that the 12 - 15 Khz. + range, maybe "cut" is the right adjective.). It seemed possible to give a little EQ boost to bring it back forward, but for me, I'd just use a different mic on that source. This thing seems to do well on vocals, maybe not my first choice for detailed, up-front vocals, but I used it on backing vocals in a track last week and it did sit in the mix fairly well. If it works in a mix, it's a keeper, even if it's not the first choice.

I think it's an incredible value and definitely sounds better than anything in this price range. Good job TZ Audio!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
**Update after a few more weeks of use.

The 7-9 Khz dip in the curve is noticeable. On the one hand, that's why it seems to perform well with sibilance ( a good thing!). On the other hand, that's the range that gives mid-range instruments that up-front feeling (not quite air, I'd usually call that the 12 - 15 Khz. + range, maybe "cut" is the right adjective.). It seemed possible to give a little EQ boost to bring it back forward, but for me, I'd just use a different mic on that source. This thing seems to do well on vocals, maybe not my first choice for detailed, up-front vocals, but I used it on backing vocals in a track last week and it did sit in the mix fairly well. If it works in a mix, it's a keeper, even if it's not the first choice.

I think it's an incredible value and definitely sounds better than anything in this price range. Good job TZ Audio!
Thanks for your feedback! We are glad you ended up liking the microphone. Sorry about the small issues you experienced before like the smell from the case. We will definitely improve those in our future batches.

And yes you are right, we made the dip around 7 to 9 kHz on purpose to reduce sibilance as this was mainly designed as a vocal microphone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

can u buy it in europe ? poland
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Another review

Podcastage reviews the X2 and compares it to several other mics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=11JA64XAW3Q
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

acoustic

Anybody compared this against a MIchael Joly hulk 990? Looking for something to record acoustic guitar that doesn't capture too much room sound. thx!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioguitarman View Post
Anybody compared this against a MIchael Joly hulk 990? Looking for something to record acoustic guitar that doesn't capture too much room sound. thx!
Hello!

I would like to note that the Michael Joly hulk 990 uses a 47' style capsule while the X2 is more of a 67' style capsule. We recommend our X2 Vintage if you like the tone of the Michael Joly Hulk 990.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

please add shipping to europe before their out of stock again :D
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfisch123 View Post
please add shipping to europe before their out of stock again :D
Thank you for your inquiry about our microphones!

We have quite a bit of stock reserved just for international shipments including the X2, X2 Vintage, and match pairs.

They will be ready by Jan 26th.
Old 2 days ago
Stellar X2 Vintage Introduction!

I would like to formally introduce the newest member in the Stellar X2 Series, the Stellar X2 Vintage.

The Stellar X2 Vintage will feature a K47 style capsule which will give this microphone a very 47 sound. It will have a nice presence boost with that boost in the upper mids and then a roll-off beginning at 4.5kHz to remove any annoying mouth sounds and sibilances. The roll-off will also remove any harshness in a recording.

The microphone uses our standard JFET circuit but is slightly different from the X2 to allow more transparency. We want to capture the 47 capsule as much as possible and didn't want the circuit to color it. Just like the X2 circuit, the Vintage also uses WIMA imported capacitors for the signal caps.

Cosmetics wise, the X2 Vintage features electrostatic paint on both the headbasket and end cap. This will provide a very nice finish that will make this microphone stand out in any mic locker.

For accessories, we are now featuring O-ring gaskets on the shock mount rather than elastics. This will prevent any unwanted resignation and the gaskets will also last much longer. We are also including foam that will not get deform as many customers have stated. Also, as a side note, we improved the foam and glue used for packaging to reduce the smell as many of our customers have complained about.

Here is a quick look between the X2 Vintage and X2.

You can order both of these directly from our site, we offer free domestic US Shipping. Let me know if you have any questions!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search