The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In need of Self-Soldering Fix for used EV635a
Old 12th October 2019
Here for the gear

In need of Self-Soldering Fix for used EV635a

Hello all,

I've purchased an EV 635a off ebay and although it mostly works well, when the cable is jostled a bit i'm getting some ground hum unless its held in place rather precariously.

I'm handy with a soldering iron but kind of terrible when it comes to troubleshooting circuits. Could someone give me advice on where to start on this?
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

First thing is to have confidence -
If you’re handy with a soldering iron, you’re 90% of the way there.
Accept the fact that the mic is broken already, then stop worrying you’re gonna make it any worse

635a is a pretty simple design - not a lot of internals if I recall. Chances are from your description, this is a loose wire in the XLR connector which is really quite simple, but may be a little fiddley to work on.

You probably won’t have to disassemble the whole mic - just extract the XLR connector.
There’s a tiny set screw in the side of the mic barrel near the XLR connector- remove that and you should be able to gently pull the XLR connector out the end with a pair of needle nose pliers. It’s attached to 3 wires that probably don’t have that much extra length to them so don’t pull on the wires too hard. It should be able to pull out far enough to see its connections and find your bad solder joint.
Putting it back in is the fiddley part - on some mics, lining up that set screw again can be a PITA
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Addict

Be advised sometimes With xlr screws, you screw in to remove, not unscrew..
Just gotta mess with it, Don’t get wild with the torque, if one way don’t work, try the other.
If it were me I would just replace the whole xlr part...
Old 24th October 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for the info guys. I'm going to put in some work and fix this soon.

If I wanted to replace the whole xlr connector in the mic, does anyone know if this part will fit within the chassis?
This is the best looking candidate from my research.

If you know of a better source for the parts I'd love to know.

I'm very appreciative of all the help.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Nut

You probably won't need to replace the XLR unless it was at the bottom of a lake, but if you do, the XLR you linked fits a different family of mics. I don't know if the outer dimension will fit the body of the mic. Contact ElectroVoice (Telex) directly. They do not sell direct unless you buy in dealer quantities, but are very helpful in answering questions and can tell you whether it will fit or what part number you need.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Addict

Ev don’t make xlr parts...
You can get it elsewhere...
Take measurements and and look at mouser, or farnells or what ever....
A very simple task, xlr s can get wonky if dwell time was a bit much during manufacturing, and will cause exactly the symptoms he is talking about, no lake needed, If they used China special xlrs same deal...
a loose wire is more likely or bad ground.
Again I would replace it all, and use good parts.
Never have that issue again...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the info Chips,

I have no experience measuring and speccing xlr jacks. Not that I don't think I'm capable, but I've never done it.

This would involve both physical measurements with a ruler to make sure it fits as well as electrical measurements with a multimeter, correct?

I'm definitely leaning toward replacing the whole part, it looks pretty old inside. And its probable the least robust part of the mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search